Life of the Party

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
I'm leaving the country for two weeks starting tomorrow, so I thought I would stop by my local parrot shop and get a parrot "fix"....but there are only a couple of birds there that I'm comfortable handling...so I cheated. I took a bag of pine nuts with me and suddenly I have about 10 new best friends. Even the baby green wing macaws stepped up for treats from me. Was very cool because that's the first time I've handled a big, big macaw. They may he young, but the are big.

There is also a Major Mitchell's cockatoo that usually plays the game of getting you to scratch him only to lul you into relaxing then bites. He thinks it's the funniest game ever....but with pine nut treats even he was on his best behavior.

I learned a valuable lesson, don't go in again empty handed.

I was also able to talk some business with the owner. I asked about me finding the breeder and putting them in contact with each other. This way the bird is shipped directly to the store when it's almost fully weened...then I can bond with him while they finish weening and he has time to adjust and be socialized.

What do you guys think of this idea?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
My thoughts , it sounds like a lot of money . What species are you interested in ? If you want a baby ,just find a good breeder that does socialize them [their out there]. Plus , its a lot on the bird moving him unweaned. Getting used to the environment [then moved to you]. Id be cutting out the middle man . Ive had birds shipped [their fine ]. They have always bonded to me right away .

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am guessing this would be your first bird? I think, given that fact, your idea may be a good one (also assuming the store is experienced with weaning parrots?). Gives you a little time to know your new friend before bringing him/her home :)

O, and I had to laugh at the cockatoo story. My dad has a goffin who "lures" victims to pet him then turns around and bites you. Very devious birds, those cockatoos:54:

OP
Weezerj

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
Yes, first bird. Stores seems very experienced, they have incubators in the store and hatch chicks on site.

On the money side, it see,s as tho the breeder is willing to sell to the store for a lower price than to general public, so we will see how much it actually turns out to be. I know what the cost to buy directly from the breeder is, so it will all be pretty transparent.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I have to agree with Pinkbirdt, I think that would be a bit tough on the baby. I am not a huge believer in the whole "being a part of the hand feeding gives you the ultimate bond." I think most of the very tightly bonded birds you see weren't hand red by their owners. I would find a breeder and call them directly and just have them socialize it for you.

Most Reactions