Lighting/Heat ?'s (Zoomed Aviansun)

RLA

Sep 12, 2017
Parrots
Long time avian owner, currently the proud father to my only 16yr old daughter "Joni" aka "Johnny", the Red-Lored Amazon.
Hello fellow feathered owners first off I'd like to introduce myself, new member long time avian owner. I should have created an account years ago, anyhow here I am:)

I have a few questions for you. How many of you use specific lighting for your birds like zoomed's "Aviansun"? How important do you think lighting is on a daily basis especially if your bird stays indoors more often than he goes outdoors. If you use lighting what are your on/off times? :04:

I would like to know or see if any of you have bought or created any customized fixtures and lighting for your birds at home.

Also, do any of you use any type of heaters/thermostats to maintain a warm environment around your feathered friends cages or perches (winter/summer when you bump the ac up in the same room your bird is in) if so what type?

I'm interested to hear everyones opinions :05:

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I bought one of those UVB lamps, mostly as I saw some stuff saying about it helping with creating calcium and also said that birds go colour blind when not exposed to those rays which windows cut out.

Not sure how true that is but it's a nice bright lamp and my conure enjoyed it

As for heating I'm in a pretty mild climate so not too much of a worry for me. Just make sure the windows are closed during winter and make sure a fan is on during summer

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This subject comes up every year in the Fall! There has been numerous Threads on their use and also debunking the tall tales of their health benefits.

It has so commonly appeared that there is a Sticky Thread on the subject: Lighting Information For Birds

You can also find it in the General Health Care Forum.

Long story very short!

- The lights provide a method of setting Human and Parrot Daytime /Nighttime patterns. If over used (exposure time longer that the outside natural day) then can result in limited sleep patterns and with a Parrot that could set-off a Hormonal Event!

- The lights provide no health benefits because the 'Wave Length' is to short! The Natural Sun's Wave Length for that band of light is over 26' (some place closer to 6 - 7 meters). Its been awhile, but that fairly close. Clearly, the tub versions are not long enough and the LED light bulbs, well not even a chance!

Do Humans and Parrots enjoy being in something 'near' the natural spectrum, Yes! But, be very careful to how many hours and more importantly, how close the bulb is to either creature. TEST: Place yourself where you plan to place your Parrot, look at the bulb, turn it on, turn it off. If you get blind spots, the bulb is to close for everyone!!!

Save your money and buy a Standard 'Daylight' LED Bulb and place it in near any none closed fixture or a closed fixture that is rated for that wattage.

Do not place an LED light bulb in any fixture that is not rated for that wattage. LED's get hot at the base and that introduces heat quickly into the fixture. So, always check the fixtures rating!

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Good to know. It's a nice lamp anyway with a good bright light

with the light dark thing it could also be good for keeping the 12 hour cycle in darker parts of the world, such as UK when it starts getting dark at 3PM

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Yes, I use specific lighting for my birds. I use a Zoo Med Avian Sun 5.0 Uvb fluorescent lamp (26w) with a 8.5 inch clamp light. I clamp it on top of their cage and the light hangs as per directions from the cage.

I use it because I live in an old house and it is dark, not very good lighting or many windows, though they do sit by one. As far as benefits go I have heard both sides, but they seem to really like not being in teh dark, lol. I turn the lamp on every day at 6:30am and turn it off at 5:30pm, so they get right around 12 hours of daylight. When its sunny I'll turn the lamp off so they get some natural sun, but for the most part I turn the lamp on and off every day, 12 hours of sunlight. They are always inside the house and our temperature is always set to around 68 degrees, that's usually what I try to keep them at all year round. We get blistering summers and very cold winters, but I try to keep them at a constant.

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Too late I spent it all, there's no toys left to buy, they're all mine!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Parrots do not need a heat bulb like those used for reptiles (that can be harmful/fatal if they get too close to a heat bulb by accident), but many do enjoy the "sun" bulbs made specifically for birds that produce little or no heat. We offer Kiwi a "Featherbrite" bulb in a hanging fixture above his cage. Not sure if it does exactly what it claims, but he does seem to enjoy it. We leave it on for a couple hours a day for him. Natural sun, in the warmer months, is far preferable to artificial sun so be sure to get your bird outside (on a harness or caged) as often as possible, temperature and weather permitting).

As for warmth in general, your home should be kept around 70 in the winter and your bird positioned out of drafts. I would not aim a heater directly towards your bird. They adapt just fine to normal indoor temperatures in the winter and will grow extra down if needed.

Last edited:

Katu

May 27, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Male blue budgie!
I bought one purely because I read that some birds enjoy it. I realize it doesn't provide any other benefit apparently, but if it makes the bird happy in the darkness of winter, it's okay by me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts