Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Kyo is going through a weird beaky phase. She is obsessed with preening, nibbling, chewing, licking, and almost sucking on my fingers. It's a very not aggressive thing, not really bad intended but mildly annoying. I haven't found any info on this kind of "biting" where it's not aggressive and more like play/preening to her.

I've been putting her on her window perch, or moving her to my shoulder, and giving her crumpled papers or toys but she obsessively wants to be preening my ugly wings.

Any advice? I prefer this to the aggressive biting problems any day but it's still not good behaviour.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I think it's a sort of mating behavior. My Finley does this right before he decides to hop on and have his way with my hand.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
clark preens me sometimes, it's called allopreening. It isn't necessarily sexual, but it is communal. SO long has he doesn't try to hump then enjoy! I do.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I say... sounds harmless, but stay vigilant for emerging issues.

Ugly wings! That completely cracked me up! Yeah, clearly, you're a plucker!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Well, what do you want her to do instead? And how can you reward her for doing those behaviors? Could she be foraging for food? Learning new behaviors or performing them? Such as turn around, high four, wave, big eagle, pick up an object and place it somewhere, etc.?

Most Reactions

Latest posts