little lulu needs help!

LULUnTUBBY

Oct 6, 2014
Please help me figure out what's going on with my little conure. She is going through her first molt gets lots of cuddles and time outside her cage. Gets fresh fruits and veggies almost everyday. Has an avian light so she gets UVB. Gets a bath about once a week. Has a little green cheak as a friend so she is never alone. And is on a vitamin supplement. But I have noticed since I got her she has been stripping her wing feathers, not plucking though. Can someone tell me what is going on with my little girl??

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
How long have you had her, and how old is she? Did she barber her feathers in her previous environment?

The first step with a bird who has feather destructive behaviors should always be a trip to an avian vet. The cause is often medical.

If the barbering is new to your house, it may be environmental. It could be something as simple as needing to move her cage away from sight of a window, or finding something in the room that is frightening her.

Does she have plenty of toys, and does she play with them or just leave them alone? She might benefit from toys specifically to deter her attention from her feathers. Paper that she can shred, cloth to preen, or even toys made of feathers.

OP
L

LULUnTUBBY

Oct 6, 2014
It's new since I got her. She isn'tby a window there's nothing she seems to be scared of where she is. The girl I got her from said she is five months old. She has lots of toys and I move them around once a week when I do a deep clean. And she gets at least one new toy every week or two to make sure she doesn't get bored. I don't know what else to do.

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
A vet trip is definitely in order then.

Most Reactions