Taking my bird outside

andrea.b

Sep 29, 2014
Canada
Parrots
Connie - Green Cheek Conure
Hi guys,
I took Connie's cage outside on a really warm fall day last week and she seemed to really enjoy the sunshine and fresh air.
It got me thinking about letting her go outside out of her cage to explore the grass or I could bring her to a secluded park. I also thought about possibly letting her fly around outside.
I've heard of bird harnesses and I watched a few videos of people demonstrating how they work. They seem great for just sitting outside with your bird and walking around in a park. Im definitely considering getting one.
As for flying, they seem to not be that great. I hate the idea of letting my bird fly around only for her to reach the end of the leash and be yanked back. It made me pretty sad to watch. And they really didn't get that much flying time.
I thought about having a harness with a really really long leash but I wouldn't want her to get tangled, not sure if that would happen or what other consequences there might be.
There's also the possibility of free flying. This idea is pretty scary, 1. because my bird could fly away and 2. where I live there are a lot of hawks and falcons and Connie is pretty small. I would be so sad, I don't know if I would take that risk (is that selfish??).
Let me know what you guys think or any experiences or techniques you've had when having your bird outside. Also any cautionary things for when she's outside. Thanks!

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
All I can think is "better safe than sorry", it's great that your'e taking her outside!

I believe there is something called a Recall Harness? Or is it a flight line? This gives you both options you want: "Free flight" and a Harness to keep Connie safe!

About the cautions, you pretty much mentioned all of them that I can think of. I'm also afraid of my bird getting yanked back in the harness or having them tangled but I think the leash is designed to keep it from ever getting tangled.

Okay, it IS called a flight line. Here's a demo of one:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV-vdXz3CRI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV-vdXz3CRI[/ame]

starrynightxxi

Mar 26, 2013
Philadelphia
Parrots
Leonard - White-Wing Parakeet
Leonard has it the end of his Aviator harness before and is no worse for the wear, it's a very elastic-y cord and provides pretty soft resistance. I would love to get the flight line, but he doesn't fly enough to warrant it, especially outside. Maybe with time as he grows more confident. It is great to get them outside if you can, though, even if they don't fly.

Forgive the chewed harness, it's still strong, I always check it first

10154943_10100245137999005_3164423850984629066_n.jpg

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I use the aviator harness, and the built in leash is elastic enough that the bird can reach the end and turn around gently and fly back, no yanking involved :) also, above was posted the flight line to go with it. I can't get the video to work, but I have one and it works well and allows the bird to have a lot more freedom without having to lift a heavy leash of that length. The aviator harness is truly the safest option out there for harnesses, and is specifically designed to prevent yanking or flipping, and trust my, Flick would have found a way if there was one!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
If the bird is flighted and not recalled, the chances are fairly high that you will lose your bird if he is not harnessed!

Into the wild, that is a death sentence.

They do not have the wild bird forraging skills other birds have. They eat from a bowl. Food and water is given to them.

They do not have the protection of a flock from predators. By the time they figure it out, they're someone's lunch.

Also, even flighted and recalled - my sun conure got hit by a car while I was free flighting him one day. He flew back to me low, across the parking lot...

My dusky flew into a tree where an owl was roosting. He was promptly eaten.

OUTSIDE is good for them. I get mine outside every nice day. But I would either clip him, or harness train if you are taking him outside.

Otherwise, you are risking his life, not enhancing it.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I would add to what bird an said, your bird is a green cheek, which is a small bird. The lighter birds are more prone to "sudden clipped flight" as I call it where all of no sudden,with just the right wind, your bird can fly. But because they are clipped, they can only fly one direction and are not really in control at all. I have lost two birds this way, a Quaker and a cockatiel. In my experience, small birds are only "safe" clipped outside when they are clipped too severely to be good for them in the first place, so I always recommend a harness. However, recall training is an extremely wise idea for EVERY bird, regardless of if you ever plan on them being outside at all. It is a life saving lesson.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My birds are free flight trained and I still harness them outside. Better safe than sorry.

Probably the wisest course...

I don't just because mine fight the harnesses so bad. Probably should, but I don't.

OP
andrea.b

andrea.b

Sep 29, 2014
Canada
Parrots
Connie - Green Cheek Conure
Okay, thanks so much guys. I think I'm going to get the harness for my bird.

Most Reactions