Little old man doesn't know how to play

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Sorry, long post:
My recent purchase of an eight year old gc conure has gone very well so far. We are bonding despite his having been an untouched breeder bird in a pet store where I'm sure he had his share of teasing from the younger patrons. His daily routine here goes something like this, I get him out in the morning (now he'll come out voluntarily without gloves and no biting). I make him some fresh food and try (usually in vain) to get him to try some. After some time of picking idly at that, I give in and give him his mix of pellets/seeds/dried greens on his table perch. He never had fresh food for 8 years (he was on a cockatiel seed mix only) and now turns his beak up at anything but raspberries (he mainly eats the seeds out of them and flings the rest) and a little birdie bread. I tried the table without the perch and he dances nervously and will barely eat. So there he sits the majority of the day, eating non stop. Is this normal? He munches probably 85% of the day.

I try taking him off the perch and we walk around the house doing chores and he preens my hair. If I try to leave the room without him he calls and calls for me in this alarmed tone and doesn't stop until he can see me again. He still won't let me touch him with my fingers, only allows my closed hand and arm near him. Once in awhile I can put a finger out and he'll step up. He only seems to try and bite me now when my husband is home, because for some reason he's decided my husband is the enemy no matter what he does to try and get close to him. I've tried offering foot toys to distract him and other things that might interest him to no avail. He looks like he has no idea what to do with them. I have a huge playstand with toys on it: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTUwMFgxMDAw/z/7OMAAOSw1ZBUwaZB/$_57.JPG
and he just climbs to the very top of it right away and freaks out up there until I go get him down. He flaps around and calls nervously until I go get him.

So I guess my question is, what sort of activities would you try with a bird like this who doesn't seem to know how to do anything but eat and sleep? How much time is normal for a conure to be eating per day? I bought him a caitec foraging ball that I put dried fruit and nuts in that he must work to the stuff out of and he seems to like that-but again that's a food driven activity. How might I get him interested in other things where there is no food? He doesn't seem to have much curiosity about the world around him. Maybe all that time in a small cage did that to him, because there was nothing else to do. He acts like a little old man who likes to sit in one place and watch the world go by without joining in.

Thanks for your input.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
my latest came from an aviary,and also didn't know how to play,but he sure knew how to chew!
I got him all kinds off different woods,soft ones at first,made it easier and more fun for him.
And play with the toy yourself,it might get him more interested in it,is sure does by mine.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I have Buddy, he's a 24 yo GCA, and Venus, an Ekkie under 5 yo. Food is a winner and gets them both to come out so meal times are turning into bird times. To encourage both I make sounds when eating on how yummy it is, the hard part is when it's not. Buddy loves red pepper, Venus doesn't but I've eaten it and act like its amazing to get her to eat.

Plus patience, Biddy eats almost every fruit and veggie I give him but Venus is a challenge right now. When both see food they are my best friend.

lquan

Nov 6, 2013
El Monte, CA
Parrots
Yellow Sided Conure
My impression when it comes to conures that they are playful little parrots. Spending a lot of time eating and sleeping maybe a routine that he is used to for so long. You need to spend time to play with him. Parrots love to chew on stuff. When they chew on pellets, it is not necessary that they swallow everything; mine doesn't. Parrots are notoriously wasteful when they eat, even in the wild. Their main habit is chewing. I gave my Lily small ropes (short enough for her not to entangle) and scrap light plywood and balsa wood from my model airplane hobby to chew on. I notice she is less wasteful on pellets when she has something else to chew on.

When they eat a lot without much exercise, it is not good for them. Walking and climbing exercise is not enough, they need to fly around. My conure is a female. I want her to fly around a lot to prevent egg binding in the future. Fortunately, my 2-story house has an opening over the livingroom that connects the 2 floors together with lots of aerial space. Everyday she flies around the house like a rocket while screaming.

Pellets are good; especially if you can give her at least 2 different kinds. All of the vitamins and calcium they put in the pellets are no good if the bird doesn't get sunlight to absorb them.

It is normal for flock birds like conure to always follow their flock. If Lily sees no member of her family in sight, she will call and fly around to look for us. Lily would fly all over the house to be around with someone.

OP
Minimaker

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
The pet store clipped his wings so hopefully when they grow out he'll get better. I have the same thin wood here for making miniatures so I'll try giving him some to chew. I bought him a heap of toys and he ignores every one of them. Only food gets his interest right now. And me apparently. We went to town last night and when we got back he nearly lost his marbles when he saw me. He was so over excited he fell to the bottom of his cage from flapping and jumping around.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
That is so sweet. I'd just give him more time. I noticed this morning that my Severe was finally chewing on his sea grass mat. FINALLY.

Most Reactions