Living with my new Quaker, Nigel

FordNYC

Feb 10, 2020
NYC
Parrots
A Quaker parrot, purchased 2/8/2020, returned 4/25
2 Budgies acquired 4/25
So here is my new Quaker, which I bought from a pet shop a few days ago. I have a well I guess I'd call them problems or issues that I'm confused about. I did a lot of research and this turned out to be a very informative site, https://www.thesprucepets.com/quaker-parrots-390511, however I'm not sure about what I should be expecting. He isn't playing with the toys I left him or eating the seed stick I was told he should enjoy (I added that as a 'surprise' after letting him out and getting him back to his cage).
Granted the cage is too small and that may be a factor, but it was the largest available. I plan to get a new one very soon. I'm feeding him a mixture of seeds, pellets, and dried fruit and veggie pieces and he is eating, but he failed to try the pieces of strawberry I mixed in the other day to try to get him to try fresh fruit.
While he lets me get closer to the cage, if I try anything more than changing the food and water cups, he reacts with fear. If I try to open the door, he starts screaming and climbing on the bars. He also tries to chew at the bars as if trying to escape. He lives in my room and I talk to him softly a lot, but I can't even try training him yet, not even the step up. I'm honestly out of my league. He just sits there all day and now I'm finding feathers on the bottom of the cage. I hope he's just molting...
I had parakeets when I was a kid, but I wanted to get a parrot this time for the challenge of training one as a companion and to speak but I feel like I might have bitten off a bit too much. I'm not ashamed to admit that right before I found this forum, I felt so anxious I was in tears. I even looked for a place to possibly adopt Nigel if it all goes south. I don't want to do that, but nothing is going as it seemed it would. He just seems bored and apathetic.
I feel like a bad parent but I'm open to community and learning more. I'd really like to make this work.
Sorry about this long and maybe depressing post.

Attachments

• 20200211_164403.jpg
    20200211_164403.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 90

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi, did you follow my li ks in other post? So many new Quakers maybe I didn't link. I will re link in a minute.
Put a light color towl just on the back of the cage, do he feels safe, only approach from the front if the cage.
Yes this cage usva travel size cage, way to small for him. He probably doesn't feel safe and only one perch, those terrible dowels that come with cage. Amazon had very large cages for 100 bucks or so. I will try and link that to.

You have only had him for 3 days! Sweetie it takesonger than that. Plus with a cage that small, none of his behaviors will be normal.

Have you tried letting him out? You would shut the door, make sure things are safe. And let him out, just be calm and sitting. If he freaks out and us all over, crashes into stuff. Just stay calm don't move, wait till he lands and walk over and over hand to step up, also have a short sturdy hand hd perch you can offer him to step up to. If he gets scared and flys around, wait and try again.

But first before that, I would get those rope perche's and other perchs to attach to the outside and top of cage, plus at least one short perch, or rope perch you can put in the cage and get rid of the dowel.

Offer fresh veggies, or occasionally fruit in a flat shallow dish or plate on the bottom of the cage, or when he comes out on the top of the cage. It can take days, weeks, before they try new food. Please don't mix fresh foods with seeds or pellets.

When he gets more relaxed he will definitely like the treat stick!!!! I promise you that! Lol

Can you afford a larger cage, sndots if perches and toys?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes that cage is so small, he might start plucking, he need a much bigger one ASAP.
One like this. This isn't my favorite, I like the ones that are higher off the floor, but I have the same box styles, I like the flat tips because I can attach a lot of perches and stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00176F5L0/ref=psdcmw_2975226011_t1_B075R7NGGK
I'm putting part of my other posts here
Please follow this link and read it all.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

This info below needs to wait till you have a bigger cage. You can add a couple of things tho, but he doesn't have much room to move around right now.
Before I do that I wanted to encourage you to make and add lots and lots of stuff for your parrot to shred, chew. To help prevent feather pluckers from starting, or help limit it if he's already started. You can cut plane card board into stars or tempting shapes with lots of edges, in about cookies size, punch a hole through the pieces and use a zip tie to hang it some place he can reach and chomp. Cutting brown paper bags into Hulu type fringe, and stuff it into a klenix box, or bundle it and tie with a zip tie. Give old paperback books to shred and destroyed, buy that shredder roll for parrots and thread through the bars. This easy to tear up stuff, makes them more happy then many of the toys sold! Aim to have five to eight toys in the cage , and that many on top of the cage as well as several perch types in the cage and on top. Plan on rotating them with new ones monthly, then you rote the old ones back in , switch it up! Quakers usually like toys a lot, and aren't as fearful of new stuff .
This article starts out with basic bird behaviors, then ad you go down it progresses to problem behavior like biting, screaming, and more. Well worth the read!

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is more stuff I had for other new owners
Ok you want to shape behavior. You can do this while in cage, and when out of cage. If your bird doesn't take treats by hand yet. Then put a small treat only dish in cage, and one on top of cage. I think safflower seeds those white ones make the best training treat. Also always use the same phrases.. to starts when in cage or out, day hi Rocky, walk to the treat dish show him the seed put it in the dish then walk away. Repeat several times e ety fee minutes. Once he gets the idea and always comes quick to get the seed. The next step is to say hi Rocky, come here, show him the seed and wait, if he takes one step to you put the treat in say good bird, and walk away, repeat try and get him to come a little closer each time. Always telling him to come here, and praise for each time. Rrspeat often several times a day until he comes right to the dish to get treat. Then start giving treat by hand. Then start have him gilow you to get the treat while telling him to come here. At first just a step, then more till he will follow you the length of the cage. These same techniques you can use to teach tricks and step up. You might need to use a hand held perch a first.

For the cage , once he steps up for you, you have a phrase like time to go back, you take him to the cage, put him in give treat , take him back out , put him on cage top or other " furniture" then wait a few min and repeating. He learns then the cage is a good place, and he isn't always locked in. When it's time to leave him in the cage, already have a slice if apple, or some popcorn ( piped) ir something yummy waiting for him, then go get him tell him time to go back, take him still give the seed when he steps in and use the door.

You also want to hand feed him little yummies off and on all the time. I say here's a yummy and I might give a seed, a pellet, veggies, just something's. My Quaker Neptune's comes flying and asks Yummy? It's a great way to get them trying new stuff. At first you give stuff they like to get them used to the idea , then you offer new stuff, by this time they are coming to you to see what you got. Birds like rituals and routines. And these guys are very smart. I hope this helps!

Click this link and read to. I don't use clickers tho, I just say good bird instead if clicking.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Click these link and go read the thread
http://www.parrotforums.com/quakers/83780-help-needed-new-quaker.html

Click this blue Link too, and read this thread
http://www.parrotforums.com/new-members-welcome/83739-hello-all.html

Read this. Why not read all of this stuff out loud to your parrot while you sit next to him, a few feet away and not staring at him.
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Last edited:
OP
F

FordNYC

Feb 10, 2020
NYC
Parrots
2 Budgies acquired 4/25
Ok you want to shape behavior. You can do this while in cage, and when out of cage. If your bird doesn't take treats by hand yet. Then put a small treat only dish in cage, and one on top of cage. I think safflower seeds those white ones make the best training treat. Also always use the same phrases.. to starts when in cage or out, day hi Rocky, walk to the treat dish show him the seed put it in the dish then walk away. Repeat several times e ety fee minutes. Once he gets the idea and always comes quick to get the seed. The next step is to say hi Rocky, come here, show him the seed and wait, if he takes one step to you put the treat in say good bird, and walk away, repeat try and get him to come a little closer each time. Always telling him to come here, and praise for each time. Rrspeat often several times a day until he comes right to the dish to get treat. Then start giving treat by hand. Then start have him gilow you to get the treat while telling him to come here. At first just a step, then more till he will follow you the length of the cage. These same techniques you can use to teach tricks and step up. You might need to use a hand held perch a first.

For the cage , once he steps up for you, you have a phrase like time to go back, you take him to the cage, put him in give treat , take him back out , put him on cage top or other " furniture" then wait a few min and repeating. He learns then the cage is a good place, and he isn't always locked in. When it's time to leave him in the cage, already have a slice if apple, or some popcorn ( piped) ir something yummy waiting for him, then go get him tell him time to go back, take him still give the seed when he steps in and use the door.

You also want to hand feed him little yummies off and on all the time. I say here's a yummy and I might give a seed, a pellet, veggies, just something's. My Quaker Neptune's comes flying and asks Yummy? It's a great way to get them trying new stuff. At first you give stuff they like to get them used to the idea , then you offer new stuff, by this time they are coming to you to see what you got. Birds like rituals and routines. And these guys are very smart. I hope this helps!

Click this link and read to. I don't use clickers tho, I just say good bird instead if clicking.

Read this. Why not read all of this stuff out loud to your parrot while you sit next to him, a few feet away and not staring at him.
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Thanks for all of the info! I had my eye on purchasing this cage I found when I did a google search last night: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/you-and-me-gable-playtop-parrot-habitat
But I'll definitely wait until I get a larger cage and he's comfortable before starting the training. I will get/make more toys, though.
Thanks again :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Thanks for all of the info! I had my eye on purchasing this cage I found when I did a google search last night: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/you-and-me-gable-playtop-parrot-habitat
But I'll definitely wait until I get a larger cage and he's comfortable before starting the training. I will get/make more toys, though.
Thanks again :)

The cage you li ked us still way to small. Try and find one that is 30- 32 inches long ( or longer) 20 - 24 inches wide ( or wider)
50 + 63 inches high ( or higher)

If he is tame already and likes people he might want to step up and be with you. But if he gets scared when ever you are close to the cage, it will take time, and lots of understanding. It's hard to tell his behaviors because the cage is so small, and Quakers are cage agressive they protect the cage, but are sweet outside ( once you are freinds) my quakers scream have a fit when I put my hand in or on their cage. But so affectionate outside if the cage.

OP
F

FordNYC

Feb 10, 2020
NYC
Parrots
2 Budgies acquired 4/25
Okay...every cage I look at is either too narrow or in some way not big enough, or the reviews say it's near impossible to put together. Now I have the mechanical ability of a damp squash so I'm at a loss.

This is so nerve wracking now. I wish I'd bought a budgie and stayed in my comfort zone. I don't think I ready for this. I'm already this stressed out and just starting...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
A cage is a lifetime investment for most people, so you really do want to get the largest you can. Those cages I posted links for, I'm pretty sure you might be able to ask a freind or crush ( Valentine's day is coming up after all) to help you out it together! If you drink maybe offer wine and cheese and crackers for the bribe, even works in freinds! I can tell you I have had more fun laughing at failure and mishaps. So make it epic putting the cage together!

I got to kayaking with freinds , one was a crush. I got stuck in the marsh muck as the tide went out. I struggled got covered in smelliest goo, sweated my hair flat. Finally my crush heroed up, and came and unstuck me and my kayak. While never getting dirty ugh! We carried on every one ribbing me and laughingstock. I laughed to, thinking this is it , this guy will never like me now, my tight shirt riding up letting my belly fat pouch out, sweating like a hog, covered in smelly marsh muck! At the stop of the kayak trip he asked me to go get margarita to cool of, he took a rag washed my face and arms off and gave me a spare shirt to change into! We started dating right then and had a lot of fun !

So ease up honey, let the joy of the adventure in! This Quaker us going to be an amazing friend and one of the loves of your life! When things are uncomfortable we grow, we learn, we try harder, and the accomplishment is all the sweeter. We never rember the easy stuff, we rember the challenges.

I know I've given you lots of links and tips, maybe print it off, so you can read through.

I talked about shaping behavior , you can be working on that. I use safflower seeds as bribes as they seemed well loved by all my parrots. Everytime you say hello he gets a seed, when you are sitting near him reading or talking every time he takes a step towards you he gets a treat.

This is an amazing soul that will share your life, respect him enough to work to earn trust, believe in him enough to earn his love. Stop expecting it to happen in in an instant, it could be days to start see changes, or weeks or months, but you will. And do it with joy and humor !

We all started this life crawling, we were all brave enough learn to walk, we all fell down lots of times learning to walk! Some of even got bumps and scars while trying!

How about this! Meet some new freinds and get help learning!
https://www.meetup.com/Parrot-Playgroup/

Or this one
https://www.liparrots.org/#./about

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts