Local animal shelter needs help with birds

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Wasn't sure where to put this. Our local animal shelter has taken in 23 parrots removed from a home. They are asking for food donations if anyone is in the Walworth County WI area and can help out.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.p...40203364.78295.230116200339248&type=1&theater

I posted and asked what sort of birds they have removed and if they need toys. Times are hard but if I find out they have any greys I'm going to take over that other bag of Harrison's I haven't gotten into yet and some of Jasper's toys if they have any birds his size.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Oh, no. I'm sure they need a lot of help. Do you know if there is a parrot rescue in the area?

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
Barkley (4yo Eclectus)----
Pepper (7yo White-Capped Pionus)
Do they need any toys? I have plenty of toys in varying sizes I could send. I live in TX so there isn't much I can do but send toys and food.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Something is up with that link.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Well I am in Texas but I have a question. How does anyone who owns birds have time to help out with others? I guess mine are just too spoiled but they require a lot of attention all day long. I don't think I could justify leaving them to help others, don't think they would go for it no matter how much I would want to.

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
Does anyone have the address to send food and toys to? I just sent them a message tonight and was hoping to mail a care package tomorrow. They're asking for Zupreem Natural Flavor. No mention of size of the pellets, so I went with in the middle range, what my pi and ekkie eat.

OP
Wulfgeist

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Well I am in Texas but I have a question. How does anyone who owns birds have time to help out with others? I guess mine are just too spoiled but they require a lot of attention all day long. I don't think I could justify leaving them to help others, don't think they would go for it no matter how much I would want to.

I'm sure they have staff and volunteers, what they are asking for is donations of food.

As to where to send it, I'll get that up asap, thanks you all who want to help out.

Lakeland Animal Shelter
Mailing address: PO Box 1000
Elkhorn, WI 53121

Is what is on their facebook page. I called but they are closed for the evening. I left a message and when she calls me back tomorrow I will find out for sure and let you all know. Thanks again.

Last edited:

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
I have a couple bags of food to send, but I clicked on a link and found a different addresss:

N3551 State Highway 67,
Delavan WI 53115

I'm just going to send the toys too, and oh I checked they are looking for toys. They have amazons/macaws and some smaller parrots. Apparently none of the birds have any toys yet :(

Last edited:

headfeathermistress

Apr 22, 2012
Media
Battle Ground WA
Parrots
CAGs
Quaker
Poicephalus
Budgies
Green Cheek
I think the trick is to already be a volunteer than you can help when situations like this come up. It is so great that you all are able to give food and toys!

OP
Wulfgeist

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Just got off the phone with the control officer. The Elkhorn address is the one to send to for anyone wanting to send food or toys. The latter one in Delevan she said to use if sending by ups.

They mostly have macaws: 5 blue and gold, 1 blue-throat, 2 Green Wing, 2 Catalinas, some Goffins, a Grey, lilaccrown (conure?) and some others she rattled off I didn't get written down.

Toys: Yes for sure. These guys have been on an all seed diet and they are trying to convert them over. They have some Harrisons and she said some Zupreem Fruit that no one seems interested in. Right now they are feeding them Kaytee (cringe) something mixed in and they seem to be eating that. She said Zupreem natural would be nice but anything that quality or above I'm sure they would like.

Being out of work I sure would be over there volunteering as much as I can, believe you me, but there is something wrong with my van and I can't take it out on the highway and I have no money to get it fixed atm. :( I would love to be able to put time in helping out. Having a job there would be even better. So for now the best I can hope to do is help spread the word. This was more for anyone who happened to be in my area but bless you other people who are wanting to help out a little.

Lakeland Animal Shelter
P.O. Box 1000
Elkhorn, WI 53121

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
I know. I sent it to the wrong address. I don't understand why the post office accepted it! I hope by same act of God it gets delivered. I'm so upset now! :( Will the post office send it back to me?

OP
Wulfgeist

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Thanks for sending something. I don't know why she said the other address was for sending by ups? I'm sure it will get there one way or another. I'm going to dig around in his box of toys and see what all I can find that they could use. Good thing for me is the shelter has a resale boutique here in town I can drop stuff off at.

Macawnutz

Aug 13, 2012
Wulfgeist, Thank you for posting this!

As a parrot owner and this being so close to our home, myself and my husband have been caring for these birds everyday.

I can answer a few questions although I do not wish to get into the politics of the case at all.

They are taking donations of food. The birds eat the Kaytee exact the best and we are trying them on zupreem naturals. zupreem fruity is alright but not what they prefer. The harrisions is the least favorite of all just to clarify. They are all doing well on the large size pellets even though there are some smaller birds as well. Any size is fine. Your list is correct on the types of birds, you are missing a few including a grey.

We have been out caring for these birds twice a day, they do need many toys, they destroy them as soon as we bring them out. Any questions regarding what they will need I can answer although again (and I am sorry) I do not wish to discuss many parts of this case.

Sarah

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
Thanks Sarah. I packet a variety of toys and food and some of the toys are macaw sized as well as smaller. I sent it to the wrong address so I'm just waiting for the package to be returned to me. Then I'll send it UPS.

Macawnutz

Aug 13, 2012
Thanks Sarah. I packet a variety of toys and food and some of the toys are macaw sized as well as smaller. I sent it to the wrong address so I'm just waiting for the package to be returned to me. Then I'll send it UPS.

No no no, THANK YOU! Today was my day off and I spent it cutting, drilling and stringing wood. LOL. ( not much different than when I'm working but for a different flock.) These birds will thank you when they receive your package. They have the biggest personalities!

OP
Wulfgeist

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Thank you for joining us Sarah and for clarifying all that. I was trying to take notes as best I could when talking to Cindy the other evening. Clearly a stenographer is not the job for me! :D

I will keep my Harrison's then and see about getting something else to send over instead along with some toys. If I can't get it over to the shelter then I'll drop it off here in town at the boutique.

Thank you for helping out! As I said, I would be over at the shelter as much as they would let me helping out but I can't get over there. :(

Most Reactions

Latest posts