Long Term Bird Sitting...

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
My uncle has a 27 year CAG that he has had for nearly its entire life. He is going through a tough time (house purposely burned, divorce, car stolen, work) and has asked me if I could bird sit for a period. On top of all that, he is a Sheriff which takes a lot of his time. He is my favorite uncle so there are no trust issues. How do I go about it? The bird hasnt been around other birds - But do I need to quarantine? Is this safe for my birds at all? I haven't said yes, and told him I wasn't sure just yet. Is there anything I need to think of?

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My uncle has a 27 year CAG that he has had for nearly its entire life. He is going through a tough time (house purposely burned, divorce, car stolen, work) and has asked me if I could bird sit for a period. On top of all that, he is a Sheriff which takes a lot of his time. He is my favorite uncle so there are no trust issues. How do I go about it? The bird hasnt been around other birds - But do I need to quarantine? Is this safe for my birds at all? I haven't said yes, and told him I wasn't sure just yet. Is there anything I need to think of?

Sounds to me like this bird HAS BEEN in quarantine for 27 years... If that's the bird's history, then if it were me, I wouldn't bother. (Other folks might disagree.)

Introducing them to other birds? Depends on the bird. Obviously careful supervision when they are out, and see how they get along. But otherwise, it shouldn't be problematic (unless he's a plucker who stresses out over change.)

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
My inlaws are my neighbours, and we bird sit for one another if one of us is travelling. They have a sulfur crested cockatoo. I don't quarantine - I know the house and his cage are kept clean and tidy and that he is healthy. Same goes for her and my birds. Aside from that, the birds are often together anyway, as I've got at least one if not two on my shoulder when I go over for coffee, and same if she comes here! I know these birds are all only around one another, we don't visit other parrots.

That said, I don't think it'd be safe to have them out together for a fair while. While they may not have behavioural issues apart, jealousy / a new environment and handler might intensify the situation a bit and cause some 'acting up'. Have you got time to work with two big birds independently? How much time does Conure West take, and will he cope with potentially a little less loving?

People on here seems to cope beautifully in multiple parrot homes, and you've certainly got the skill. I guess it's confidence and time? I sincerely hope you can make it work for your sake, your uncle's and the CAG - it sounds much better than having to rehome him, - but it's a massive ask and I wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Bless your enormous heart, Stephen! :)

Well, if your uncle's CAG truly has never been around any other birds, I’d say you don’t ‘have to’ quarantine. But I’d personally be worried about my own fids, and how this CAG is going to get along with them, particularly your smaller ones. And aren’t you still getting a cockatiel this year? Remember that B&Gs ‘can’ be quite sensitive to dust, and CAGs (and cockatiels, too), have dust. If you go for it, I’d recommend a good air filter for sure.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I have a CAG housed with amazons and macaws. As long as you have proper ventillation at your house, and keep them housed far enough apart, and bathe the CAG once a week, the dust shouldn't be a problem.

They're not "too" dusty.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I have a Congo Grey and Galah cockatoo that have spent their entire lives caged next to one another (over a decade). They're both dusty but when you clean daily and deep clean/steam clean weekly it isn't a problem. We have other birds in the house, too, and no one has any respiratory issues.

In your situation, I probably wouldn't even worry about QT since that bird hasn't been around any other birds and, obviously, if he had something it would have manifested before now. I would watch for stress though. That's a BIG change for a bird that has been in the same situation and routine for almost 30 years and the stress of moving alone might be enough to cause any subclinical issues to break into full-blown problems. Greys are so sensitive. We moved five years ago and my Grey is JUST now acting as comfortable as he did in our other house.

Congrats on your potential new flock member. I'm looking forward to hearing about him.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What a wonderful assist you may be providing for your Uncle's CAG. I too believe quarantine won't be necessary unless you feel the need for extraordinary caution. Sounds as if an air cleaner and careful housing will mitigate any difficulties.

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
I have a CAG housed with amazons and macaws. As long as you have proper ventillation at your house, and keep them housed far enough apart, and bathe the CAG once a week, the dust shouldn't be a problem.

They're not "too" dusty.

Would you ever house your macaw and CAG in the same enclosure if it were big enough? Like an 8ftx6ft cage ?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

They're not "too" dusty.

Would you ever house your macaw and CAG in the same enclosure if it were big enough? Like an 8ftx6ft cage ?

Only if it were an aviary flight cage with lots of room to avoid one another, and the birds got along really well...

Otherwise, it would be very bad news.

My CAG is an instigator. He was raised with my RFM, and they get along just fine.

Maggie, however, keeps my CAG on a very short leash. The slightest provocative move on his part if he goes anywhere near Maggie's cage, results in his getting run off. If he couldn't run off?! THAT WOULD BE UGLY!

And Maggie is a pretty docile and tolerant GW.

Most Reactions

Latest posts