Looking for a new parrot

dboeren

Oct 31, 2011
Hello! I'm David from Atlanta.

My wife and I love all sorts of animals. She's mostly had cats, and I've mostly had reptiles & fish. Her parents run a wildlife rescue down in Florida and she also volunteers at the Kangaroo Conservation center in Dawsonville GA where she helps take care of the 'roos, birds (they have an assortment of Australian birds as well), and so forth.

For 15 years I've also owned a Jardines Parrot named Tyler who recently passed away.

I'm not looking to rush into anything because I'm not sure I'm emotionally ready for another bird yet, but I do miss having my little birdy buddy so probably after a while I'm going to start looking seriously for a new friend.

I'm kind of interested in an Amazon (possibly a blue front or mealy?) or maybe a smaller species Cockatoo. I'm aware of the nature of most cockatoos as needing tons of attention but I've also read that this mostly applies to the bigger species and the Rose Breasted cockatoo doesn't require such special treatment - plus are a more manageable size. This may also apply to the Bare Eyed? Not sure, haven't read up on them much yet. I'm planning to research them more along with Eclectus and Pionus.

I have no problem providing a large enough cage, and the cost isn't a major factor. Ideally I want a friendly, sociable, intelligent bird who can also play on his own. If talking was my first priority I'd be looking at a Grey. Tyler never really learned to talk much, he could say "Hey birdie" if he felt like it but most of all he loved to imitate sneezing noises. Some talking ability would be a plus and I do want to know where different species stand, but it's not my biggest concern. It's more important that we have a bird that will enjoy being with our family even if he mostly expresses it through play, cuddling, or bird noises.

I currently work from home 90+% of the time so I'll be around a lot, and starting in the spring my wife will probably be working from home most days when we get our son (we're adopting) so he shouldn't be lonely I think. I think I'm probably going to get him a stand that we can wheel around from room to room on the main floor of the house so he can hang out with us wherever.

I'm open to other species, I just don't know about all of them yet and it's been so many years since I did my original research and selected a Jardines. I think I'm looking for roughly Amazon-sized - not something tiny like a parakeet or cockatiel. Also, while I loved my Jardinines I don't want another one, I think that would be too sad to look at him and constantly be reminded of my old bird.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and maybe get some suggestions from the other members.

Also, when I got Tyler he was purchased from a breeder and had already been taught the "up" command before coming home with me. Is this typical? Is it best to go to a breeder you can visit in person, a breeder that ships to the airport, a bird show, etc...? A show seems like a great option to be able to see a lot of birds in one place and pick one you seem to connect with but I don't know if I should be worried about getting a bird in poor health, etc... from a show - whether vendors there are trustworthy.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Hello and welcome. I am sorry your little one passed away. Life spam is a little longer for them buy who knows. Have you thought of a Grey? They are truly fantastic birds. By far, non are better. Have you read up on them??

OP
D

dboeren

Oct 31, 2011
Hello and welcome. I am sorry your little one passed away. Life span is a little longer for them but who knows. Have you thought of a Grey? They are truly fantastic birds. By far, none are better. Have you read up on them??

To tell the truth I hadn't been thinking of them too much but I'm happy to read up some more. What I've heard in the past (and remember this is mostly 15 years dated information from last time I did this research) is that they can be prone to stress, plucking, etc... but they're clearly great birds. I guess there was also something in the back of my mind that says that if you buy a Grey you're sort of declaring that you want a talker above all else because they're so well known for that. Is that odd? I suppose it's not the bird's fault that they have that reputation :)

usamimi

Oct 30, 2011
North GA
Parrots
Kevin the Congo African Grey (DNA'd F) and Ra the Sun Conure
I got mine not because they're talkers but because they're great birds. They're just so smart, and I wanted a bird who was very capable of learning anything, not just talking.

Not gonna lie though, when he starts talking it's gonna be awesome. :54:

Most Reactions