Looking for some advice on my new boy

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Here are some photos of adult Senegal Parrots, and I tried to choose Senegals that looked as different from one another as I could so you can get a good idea of what ANY adult Senegal is going to look like...You can see that Koda doesn't look anything like any of them, as none of them have any brown feathers on their backs, wings, or throats, and all of them have bright, thick, yellow Irises:

senegalparrotsfeeding1scaler.ashx

Of course I had to throw-in a photo of my baby, Mr. Kane, who just turned 2 years-old this past October:
senegalparrot2.jpg

images

Here's a great photo that shows both an illustration and real photo for each of the 3 Senegal subspecies:
0d2e6af7b9a93320b0c114e4bb27bcc1.jpg

Last edited:

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Here's my Senegal. I agree that Koda looks way more like the red bellied. I have a book about Poicephalus and it says that they also have a wash of blue over the rump.

rwgBVMul.jpg

OP
S

SolKale

Dec 3, 2018
California
Parrots
Red-bellied parrot (Koda)
Collared Dove (James)
Cockatiel (Sol, since passed)
Green Cheek Conure (Kale, since passed)
Hmm, you know, you're right. I looked at some pictures of red bellied parrots and he definitely looks more like those--almost to the T of the model I found. I glanced at a photo of a Senegal after they told me that's what they thought he was and I was like hm, good enough for me

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I'm sorry that I pointed that out, but I figured you should know what he was, lol...That actually happens a lot; I work at an Avian Rescue, and it's not at all unusual for people to bring in a bird that they are surrendering and that they adopted from someone else, and they think it's whatever they were told that they were by the previous owner, and usually they are from the same family of parrots, but a different species...

With the Poicephalus family, they are all very similar, it's mostly their colors that differentiate them...

I'd say Koda is definitely either a Red Bellied Parrot, or some kind of hybrid of a Red Bellied Parrot and a Meyers Parrot...But I'm thinking full Red Bellied...And he's a gorgeous bird!

OP
S

SolKale

Dec 3, 2018
California
Parrots
Collared Dove (James)
Oh there's no need to apologize! It's not a huge revelation that's gonna change the way I feel about him or anything, lol.

I definitely think he's gorgeous too! I love his face, I call him my little hawk because he's got those piercing eyes

MauiWendy

Nov 15, 2018
Maui, Hawaii
Parrots
Keoki - Red Bellied Parrot
And here he is moments before putting a big hole in my notebook. Not a very helpful study buddy!

He’s very handsome. He Looks like a Red-bellied parrot to me. Here is a picture of my 4 month old Red-bellied.

Attachments

• 79681449-9A31-4F6B-AB49-D088A4A99F05.jpg
    79681449-9A31-4F6B-AB49-D088A4A99F05.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
SolKale, you are definitely everything-that's-right about a new community member! This thread was great reading... just gave me warm fuzzies about the happy circumstances.
Thank you for sharing your little raptor.
I'm so glad you found your tiny hawk... and us.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
LOL a red-bellied one is sooo much more special, we have senegals all over the place here and I have never seen a red-bellie in the flesh!

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
No offense to the senegal owners and I wouldnt ever tell this to Peanut, but I think the red bellied ones are cuter lol.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Red bellied! So cool! Great catch Ellen, I've never met one but read they are awesome, and much rarer too cool!

OP
S

SolKale

Dec 3, 2018
California
Parrots
Collared Dove (James)
Ya'll... YA'LL.

I was giving Koda some head scratches before bed and he started grabbing at my fingers a bit, not hard, but like he was trying to pull my hand somewhere, and then, he stepped up. ON MY HAND. OUT OF THE BLUE. And immediately went for shoulder snuggles!

Pics to follow. Please excuse my lack of makeup. I'm so proud of him

OP
S

SolKale

Dec 3, 2018
California
Parrots
Collared Dove (James)
So proud of my little hawk