Looking into an African Grey Congo either Adoption or Rehome in NY

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
3 year old Blue and Gold Macaw- Elvis
Hello everyone,first of all I would like to thank you all for all the great info on this wonderful site. I went missing for a while,shortly after I purchased a baby Blue and Gold Macaw -Elvis, almost three years ago,I had some personal stuff going on in my life. But Elvis is doing great,and he'll be 3 next week. So I would like to get a companion of some sort for Elvis,obviously I won't house them in the same cage together,but I'll have them across from each other far away,and look to move the cage closer as the months go by. I do know that the African Grey Congo,required more time and dedication than the B&G. Lately I've been spending a lot of time with my B&G,because I'm currently unemployed. I do feel bad leaving Elvis alone even for a couple hours,so just knowing that there is another bird to chit chat with,I'll be pleased. I am looking into an adoption or a re-home,locally in New York,I do have some leads and was looking for some opinions if possible.I'm including a pic, which I believe is a Congo-6 years old, I know pics are deceiving,but I was wondering if you can tell anything from the pics,before I go and check him out. Thanks everyone,looking forward to a great conversation :)

grey1_zpsb24318c6.jpg

grey2_zpsffea1e82.jpg

grey3_zps1abba38a.jpg

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
Looks like its a female and about 10-12 years old,she only comes out with the owner,which is a male. Thats from the info I gathered

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I don't think they require more time, blue and golds and Greys both need a lot of attention.

African grays have a lot of feather dust as many old world parrots do. This can irritate your macaws lungs and some even get sick. You may want to buy a high quality air filter and leave screened windows open on nice days.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
The Congo looks great, but you should bring her/him to a vet to be sure. As we all know parrots can have some nasty illnesses without showing signs.

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
Hey Cooper ! Thanks for chiming in. Yes attention I'm very aware of,my Blue and Gold demands the same as well. Right now, the Congo is only responding to the male owner,so hopefully the transition will go smooth,yet it will take time. I was thinking of placing the cage right across from my B&G, I provided a pic of where my cage is,what do you think ? I'm also aware of the dust, I would bathe the Grey regularly,mist the cage and liner regularly as well,have the windows open and I'll look into a filter,thanks. Any ideas on where to look for a good Vet in NY ? Thanks again

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
What a wonderful cage you have for your macaw! Nice and big :D I think having the grey on the other opposite wall is a wonderful idea, but keep them in seperate rooms at first for quarantine safety.

When I was looking for a vet in the Bay Area I used google, talked to parrot people, and read all the reviews on yelp. I ended up finding a amazing avian only vet who is the highest rated vet in the entire Bay Area and also works with the parrot rescue. She is amazing and I'm so happy with her. Google and yelp are very useful tools :)

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
Thank you very much sir,appreciate the input and help. I might go check out the Congo sometime next week. Anything I should look for ? The basics, feathers not ruffled ,clear eyes and nostril ?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Thank you very much sir,appreciate the input and help. I might go check out the Congo sometime next week. Anything I should look for ? The basics, feathers not ruffled ,clear eyes and nostril ?

Ask what vet the grey was taken too, so in the future you can contact that vet who will have his medical records.

Most Reactions

Latest posts