Loosing belly feathers

Criticalcaredr

Dec 18, 2013
Hi.
I am owner of tame caique.
Bird was about 2 years of age when I bought it about couple of months ago.
She has been absolutely playful adorable with us and showed no behavioural problems at all.
Suddenly one fine day I found plenty of feathers spread beside the cage on the floor.
Upon examination I found that my caique had lost her belly feathers.
I have never seen her plucking.

She predominantly eats her seed mix diet with an apple and yoghurt.
She gets time out of cage and plays well as well.
Rest of her plumage is normal.

It's been now 3 weeks since this episode took place, I haven giving her multivitamin drops as well, but hardly any visible growth is seen.

I am confused as what has happened.

Could anyone please guide me.

Trying to attach few pics as well
Regards
Dr sethi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 3,203

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I would recommend you take her to a vet. They will be able to see if it's due to illness etc.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
A vet visit is in order to rule out any illness or irritant that could have caused it.
Do you bath her often??

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Yes a vet trip is most likely in order to find out if it's a medical issue, such as mites, or an allergy. Regardless of whether the cause of her plucking is medical or mental, I would suggest that you start to vary her diet, a primarily seed diet will always lead to problems because it is vitamin deficient (no matter what the labels say) and I would also increase her intake of fresh vegetables and fruit, especiall things like leafy greens, carrots and sweet potatoes, and whatever fruit she she will eat. There is a lot of information on plucking behavior on this forum, and you can use the search feature above to help you locate those posts. I realize that changing a diet is a lot easier said than done, and birds can be amazingly stubborn and contrary, but it is defintely possible and mostly requires patience and consistency on your part to continue offering her these fresh foods and I would also suggest pellets.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Im going to ask about the bathing too [everythings so dry]. Good advice on expanding their diet. Caiques are hardy eaters [giving them a huge variety is just better for them . Ive had times with my birds [that were having a big molt]. I thought for sure they were plucking [cause they look awful]. Does your bird have lots of pins on him. If that's not it .Was their any change in your house . Like gone more,or spending less time ,or maybe getting a new pet . Can trigger them to be upset. Your vet should be able to tell you if its behavioral or not.

Most Reactions