Caiques and Squawking…..

littlewing

Nov 28, 2013
California
Parrots
White Bellied Caique
Just wanted to get some input on the subject of squawking.
I'm loving my new little guy! We received the results of the DNA testing last week, and he is indeed a boy! Now to think of a name…..
Anyway, I have done a bit of reading online on how to discourage squawking and screeching. Ignore the bird, don't give any kind of positive (or negative) reinforcement by means of attention….etc. Let me tell you what I am doing, and see if anyone has any input or modifications to my behavior plan….
Many times the screeching will occur when I come into the room, and don't let him out of his cage fast enough. I have been trying to ignore him when he does this, but he is a persistent little bugger. The next thing I do is cover the cage for a little while till he quiets down.
The other scenario is if I have him on top of the cage or on another free standing play structure away from the cage. If he screeches excessively, I will put him back in his cage for a little while. Usually he will be pissed that I put him back in his cage, and screech some more. Then the cage gets covered.
I'm not sure if by going over to the cage to cover it, or picking him up and putting him in the cage….I am actually giving him perceived 'attention' and am unintentionally encouraging this behavior. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Other that that, he is super cute and a total clown. I've taught him to roll over and I am trying to teach him how to hop. I think they look absolutely adorable when they hop!!

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
2 Black Headed Caiques - Bunsen & Beaker
You're following about the same plan as us. It's always hard when it's time to come out, but they're squawking. You have to wait, but it cuts into your bird time!

We've started one additional thing. They love target training. I have some really complex theories on bird psychology and the inner workings of why this decreases the frequency of squawking. My wife says, it just gives them something else to do. For whatever reason, it's helped. We set up an obstacle course and they run through it.

-Joel + Wife

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
We love the squeaking and squawking when we come home, they're all excited to see us and want to come out! We squeak and squawk back at them
The four Caiques, Butch the Cockatoo, Neyteri the CAG and even the new guy (Rascal the RBC) alll greet us loudly and enthusiastically when we come home, I wouldn't want to discourage it, it's their nature.

Last edited:
OP
littlewing

littlewing

Nov 28, 2013
California
Parrots
White Bellied Caique
That is pretty cute, having the birds be excited to see you when you get home! I can kind of understand that. I guess what I mainly want to discourage is the screeching for attention, like if I am trying to make dinner or something…..even though he is out of the cage at the time…. I am particularly concerned about annoying the neighbors. I doubt they can really hear him very well, but I still try really hard to be considerate.
When I come home and open the cage, he will walk toward the door upside down hanging from the ceiling of the cage. Its hilarious!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I noticed when my caiques were younger [and any new bird to my home ] .They have this almost insecure begging behavior.Its our job to teach these little guys to be self confident about us. Mine house is wild when I get home .Their sooo excited to see me [and they have been in a cage all day.] I would take yours out first [on a playstand or movable perch,and interact while your doing your after work stuff .He will get used to the routine.

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
First of all, don't believe anything Joel and his wife tell you. Their REAL secret to keeping their birds quiet is to have Bunsen and Beaker sip tequila. You'll find photographic evidence in the "Grumpy Bird" topic on this thread... :D

Seriously, I agree with their ideas on "target training." As you already know, these are really smart and really active little birds, so it's always a great idea to keep 'em busy. Sounds like you're doing this sort of thing already, so I'm sure you're well on your way to a quieter bird. Plus it's a heck of a lot of fun, isn't it?!
:)

That being said, Punkindave's comment is also spot-on in my (admittedly) limited experience. It IS their nature to make noise; Eliza and Henry do much the same thing when I come home--they're just excited to see me. (At least I HOPE that's what it means!)

Nevertheless, I understand your concerns. I think by continuing the "target training," you'll go a long way to boosting your baby's self-confidence. Pinkbirdy's comment regarding confidence--again, based on my limited experience--is an excellent one. At this stage of the game, Eliza and Henry rarely squawk for no reason any longer. For example, right now, they're in their respective cages, on the other side of the house, while I'm in my office. However, they have a sight-line into here and can see me; thus all they're doing is chattering, and playing with their toys. And I think that's all due to their self-confidence and sense of security.

In short, the only advice I can give probably applies to EVERY aspect of having parrots (heck, probably any pet, for that matter): patience, patience, patience. Couple that with a clear vision of what you want the end result to be, and you and your baby will get there sooner than you think!

Finally, I love that description of him hanging upside down and walking over to the door of the cage! Too cute!

Cheers,
Derek

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Derek as always is the master of tying things together. If you take one thing away from all this, remember the tequila!

Pinkbirdy mentioned routine, and holy cow, I'm still amazed at how routine driven our little guys are. Last night, I had them up 30 minutes past their bedtime. I don't know how they tell time, but they were not happy. When they're on their routine, Bunsen and Beaker are generally pretty happy birdies.

On the confidence subject, Bunsen started flying yesterday! Would someone please tell me how to get Bunsen to STOP flying? :p :p :p

-Joel (Wife doesn't know about this post.... shhhhhhhh....)

PS If I was good like Derek, I could work punkindave in here too. All i can say is, it sounds that house is full of life and fun.

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
On the confidence subject, Bunsen started flying yesterday! Would someone please tell me how to get Bunsen to STOP flying? :p :p :p

Duct tape, sir. Duct tape.

After all, how do you think I got Eliza and Henry to pose for that Christmas pic?

;)

Derek

Last edited:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
You guys have to figure out how to post those "Drinking games" [again]so everyone can see it. Has to be one of the funniest things ive seen on here [ the whole layout of both of your stories !!] Jowelbg ,flyings good [it wears them out] :)

OP
littlewing

littlewing

Nov 28, 2013
California
Parrots
White Bellied Caique
Ha ha! You guys are great! Thanks for all the wonderful advice! I think it might also help if I sip a little tequila myself ;-)
He sure is a silly little guy! Constantly on the go! I can't wait to teach him more tricks!!

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Duct tape, sir. Duct tape.
After all, how do you think I got Eliza and Henry to pose for that Christmas pic?

;)

Derek
Poster tack is good too (as long as it's before they've had their morning coffee!)

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Poster tack is good too (as long as it's before they've had their morning coffee!)

This reminds me how thankful I am that coffee is one of the forbidden items for parrots. I can't even begin to imagine what my mornings would be like if Eliza and Henry had caffeine pulsing through their veins...
;)
Derek

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
I was thinking about this. I usually differentiate between squawking and screaming. I'm assuming the problems you're talking about here are in the screaming department.

On a squawking note, I was wondering if anyone else's Caique went nuts over water. If ours hear running water they go CRAZY. They immediately start singing and chirping at the top of their lungs. I've always wondered if it was an individual thing or what.

Oh, and caffeinated birds?? I think they'd take apart our entire home!! :p

-Joel

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
On a squawking note, I was wondering if anyone else's Caique went nuts over water. If ours hear running water they go CRAZY. They immediately start singing and chirping at the top of their lungs. I've always wondered if it was an individual thing or what.

Oh, and caffeinated birds?? I think they'd take apart our entire home!! :p

-Joel

As I mentioned on another post, E&H seem to love noise. Even when I'm practicing guitar (which I prefer to call "music"; but--let's face it--it's noise to them...and probably to most people who have heard me, come to think of it!), I can rest assured they'll be on the neck of the guitar in a matter of moments, playing bass notes.

And yes, running water is another biggie for them; even more so is the kettle. If I'm making tea, they go berserk when they hear the water boiling.

A final note on noise--Pavlov's dogs have nothing on caiques. My washing machine and microwave make pretty much the same sound when the cycle is done. If E&H are in the laundry room with the washing machine going, and it makes the end-of-cycle sound, they run squawking to the kitchen thinking something good is coming out of the microwave. I always feel like kind of a heel when I explain to them that the clothes are done and I haven't in fact made any treats for them...

Derek

PS Also, with the washing machine, it's a front-loader with a window in the door. If I'm doing laundry and they're in the room, they start climbing up my legs. I then have to hold them up so they can watch the water pour in, and then the clothes going around and around. They clearly have me well-trained...

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
I have been getting annoyed lately with Meiko's screaming. I don't mind his squawking when he's excited or wants to come out but if I'm sitting in the couch and get up, whether to let him out or just to use the restroom, he does this long squeal!!!! It's super loud and annoying. And he gets this look in his eye like a crazed bird! I usually ignore it or I stop where I'm at and get really still and talk in a calm, soft voice and say, "Meiko, you don't have to scream.. It's ok. Use your inside voice." He usually starts making these cute little chirps and calms down... At least for a little bit. Sometimes it doesn't work though. Meh.. I dunno lol

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
A final note on noise--Pavlov's dogs have nothing on caiques. My washing machine and microwave make pretty much the same sound when the cycle is done. If E&H are in the laundry room with the washing machine going, and it makes the end-of-cycle sound, they run squawking to the kitchen thinking something good is coming out of the microwave. I always feel like kind of a heel when I explain to them that the clothes are done and I haven't in fact made any treats for them...

Holy crap, that's hilarious! Every time we run the microwave, B&B go crazy. Same deal, "FOOOOOOD!" It's like we starve them or them or something. I can't imagine something else sounding like the microwave.

If we just made the microwave beep over and over, would it desensitize them or would they tear the bars of the cage out and storm the kitchen?

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Holy crap, that's hilarious! Every time we run the microwave, B&B go crazy. Same deal, "FOOOOOOD!" It's like we starve them or them or something. I can't imagine something else sounding like the microwave.

If we just made the microwave beep over and over, would it desensitize them or would they tear the bars of the cage out and storm the kitchen?

LOLOL! I know! When I was doing all my research before bringing Eliza home, one of the first things I read regarding having pet birds is that you're supposed to feed them. You wouldn't think I did to hear E&H tell it...

Um...regarding your question, I'm guessing the latter, along with a fairly significant kitchen remodeling bill... ;)
Derek

Most Reactions