Lots of bird drama, and too many questions

CrazyBirdLady

Aug 13, 2010
Parrots
Two male cockatiels; Sunshine and Pineapple
Hi everyone!

First of all, I want to start of by saying that I'm actually Parrotqueen. This may be extremely hard to believe, and that's perfectly understandable. I requested my password and it never came; I even looked in the 'Junk' folder, and nothing was there. If I remember correctly, I think I even contacted the Admin of this matter. Sorry I've been gone for so long... it's sad that I missed MPW's birthday yesterday because of all this!

Anyway, as the title states; I have a lot of drama going on around here and a lot of questions.

I see that during my absence, there has been a lot of debating and questioning about subjects like diseases and quarantine. Now, I'm very scared as some of these things are news to me. I bought two new chickens a few days ago, and I completely spaced. I forgot to quarantine... and they're living just under the quail. I'm worried that I may have just endangered my quail, my chickens, and my cockatiels. That begs the question, can disease be transmitted from something as seemingly insignificant as a small down feather? Do I really have to change my clothes and shower?

Do I really have to quarantine for an entire month? Really??

While I was cleaning the new birds' pen, I was holding their dirty water bowl. It had some poo in it, and one of the other freeranging chickens jumped up and ended up consuming a miniscule amount of it (and luckily, she spit out the rest). Unfortunately, one o the chicks is looking sickly today. Is it likely she could pick up whatever my new silkie might have?

And now, the quail that once had bumblefoot is favoring her foot again. It looks a little moist, and a little puffy. Could it be-- her infection came back?

Thanks in advance, and please excuse the long post.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Well, I am a little confused. I guess you couldn't log in under parrotqueen so you had to join again. Right?
Many diseases can be spread by fethers and feces. The birds can inhale dust from dry feces or like your chick drink dirty water. All birds should be quarentined. I am not familiar with chicken diseases but some are common to parrots. You should was your clothes inbetween new and established birds and shower to insure you don't spread disease or illness. Just because the baby is ill it just could be bacteria from the feces in the water and not actual disease.
The quail with the foot injury or selling definitely needs meds. It may also need soaking. I recommend a vet visit.

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
PQ!!! I was wondering what happened to you!

I'm not exactly sure what the best thing to do is. But my advice is separate them all right away. Them check on all of them. Any of those that appear sick, bring them to a vet.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Yes many diseases can be transmitted by simple things. Do you need to quarantine for a full 30 days? Well, if you really want to be safe you do.

Quarantining is a bit like wearing a seat belt while driving. In a vast majority of cases it really wont make any difference. But in those freak accidents it could be what saves a life.

As for the password issue this is the first I have heard of it - give me a bit to look into it.

OP
C

CrazyBirdLady

Aug 13, 2010
Parrots
Two male cockatiels; Sunshine and Pineapple
Yes GC, I couldn't log in as parrotqueen so I made a new account using an alternate e-mail address.

AD, I did fill out that form; but still didn't recieve the e-mail anyway. I'm going to try again, just to see what happens.

I'm glad you all could clarify these things for me, thank you!! I'm going to separate the birds ASAP.

I'm so grateful for this wonderful forum!

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
This is bizarre, I just recieved the e-mail for my new password! I think I didn't recieve it before because my mail was too full.

I asked another forum I go to to mail me whenever my threads received replies-- but they mail me whenever I reply to a topic too. So, that adds up quite a bit!

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
This is bizarre, I just recieved the e-mail for my new password! I think I didn't recieve it before because my mail was too full.

I asked another forum I go to to mail me whenever my threads received replies-- but they mail me whenever I reply to a topic too. So, that adds up quite a bit!

Are you really you? or just another CrazyBirdLady? ;)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
How is your birds doing? Was it the same diseases that came back? Are the others ok?

I really hope all worked out ok and that there wasnt a freak accident like AD explained.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Everyone is perfectly healthy, except for that one sickly-looking chick. She died a couple days ago...:(

The quails were unnaffected by the forgetting to quarantine. Their health has not changed one bit. As for the chicken that ingested some foreign feces, she's perfectly fine as well.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Sorry to hear of your loss (((PQ))) :(, on the brighter side its good to hear everyone else seems to be doing fine :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts