Lovebird beak discoloration...need advice!

Kiwi_the_lovebird

Feb 22, 2015
Parrots
Kiwi, a Fischer Lovebird
Hi, I have a Fischer Lovebird (Kiwi) that's about 1 year and 4 months old, and is as happy, sweet and energetic as can be. However, his beak is looking odd, as it is losing the orange color at the edges of the upper mandible. I also think his beak looks a bit too long. He (not sure if male/female) uses his cuttlebone, scratches on a sandy perch, and chews lots of toys. I am working on getting pellets into his diet, in addition to his seeds, dried fruit and raw carrots/broccoli, so not sure if the discoloration might be nutrition related.

Any advice about his beak color and a potential beak trim would be much appreciated, I love my little birdie and want him to be healthy!

Edit, new info: heard from the owner of an Indian Ringneck that their bird would rub his beak on perches so much that the orange pigment was worn down, similar to Kiwi's beak. Kiwi rubs his beak on a sandy perch a lot, especially after eating carrots, so that might very well explain the color loss, as well as the location of the loss. Would still appreciate any advice on whether Kiwi's beak is too long, thanks in advance!

Here's a photo of his beak, sorry the quality isn't better.
Kiwi

Thanks!

Last edited:

Most Reactions