Lovebird dont like each other HELP!?

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
I have a citron cockatoo, Umbrella cockatoo, Parakeets, Finches, Lovebirds, Cockatiels, Canaries, Sun Conures, Green Cheek Conures and planning to get a lot more!!!
Hi i have lovebirds and i decided to get him a mate. I got him a green peachfaced female. They dont like each other. When i ut them in same cage they bite each other feet and bite each other feet and then walks it off and fights again. The female green one is bigger than the male and my yellow one mango is smaller assuming hes male and kiwi is female. Help please!! I really want to handfeed them. Kiwi eyes are half open to any ideas why. Mango is 2 years old and kiwi is 4

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
I have a citron cockatoo, Umbrella cockatoo, Parakeets, Finches, Lovebirds, Cockatiels, Canaries, Sun Conures, Green Cheek Conures and planning to get a lot more!!!
Please help... anyone??

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
first off its a lot of work raising babies and handfeeding is VERY dangerous many things can go wrong your bird can break its neck while feeding, burst crop, burnt crop, slow crop...etc do your research im not saying you havent just making sure you have! i handfeed baby lovebirds so i know form experience! this is part one of introducing lovebirds this is how you should do it! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh2FMhQn9ZQ]Introducing Lovebirds - YouTube[/ame] heres part two [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIQTiFgROPw]Introducing Lovebirds pt 2 - YouTube[/ame] you should NEVER put two lovebirds together right away!! and they most likely wont breed for months maybe even a year after being bonded to eachother and they both must be 1 year old or older to be successful some males may breed at 6 months and do fine but its not ideal and females can get egg bound and id if they are bred before 1 year so its best to wait.

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
Do you think my bird is male and female? my yellow one mango is slightly smaller then the green one kiwi. also her eyes are half open

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
lovebirds arent sexually dimorphic so you cant really tell for sure but females are usually larger and stand with a wider stance on perches. Oh and i am embarrassed to say but i thought my female was a male at first i was wrong though thats me and my birds a little after I first got them in the video and Eros turned out to be a female! oh and what do you mean "half open"?

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
her eyes are half open she looks sick. im not sure. she stands still on her perch

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
is she eating and drinking well? she may be cold also how warm do you keep the room shes in? also how does her poop look (gross question i know but it can tell a lot about the health of a bird)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Did you practice quarantine when you got Kiwi? They're most likely stressed from fighting one another, you should NEVER just place two birds in the same cage together assuming they would get along. You should always have them in separate cages to see if they get along first before proceed to place them together. And why do you want to breed them so badly? Do you have the experience to raise chicks? You can NOT sex Lovebirds by size difference, that's NOT the way to sex them. At the age they are now, you can pretty much tell their sex by their pelvic bone. But you need to be experienced to tell otherwise you can hurt them if your not careful. Once Lovebirds bond, they can be really vicious.....

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
is she eating and drinking well? she may be cold also how warm do you keep the room shes in? also how does her poop look (gross question i know but it can tell a lot about the health of a bird)

The last owner fed it wild bird food.... the poop looks super hard and rockish. i hope he get well soon. what does it mean to quartine your bird can it spread to my healthy bird??

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Quarantine as to keep them as far apart from one another in separate rooms. Actual quarantine is actually completely separate buildings apart. But in our household the best we can do is to keep them isolated in different rooms for at least a month or more for observation making sure the new bird is healthy before placing them in direct contact. You should have a vet to observe your birds to make sure they're ok. IF the new bird was carrying something, yes the new one can transfer any sickness to your existing bird. Such as virus and parasites.

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
Quarantine as to keep them as far apart from one another in separate rooms. Actual quarantine is actually completely separate buildings apart. But in our household the best we can do is to keep them isolated in different rooms for at least a month or more for observation making sure the new bird is healthy before placing them in direct contact. You should have a vet to observe your birds to make sure they're ok. IF the new bird was carrying something, yes the new one can transfer any sickness to your existing bird. Such as virus and parasites.
I did not quarantine the bird. Their cages are next to each other now but I don't have another room to put them in. I don't want to kill mango as he is tamed and handfed. They fought a little but I separated them how can I make my bird get healthier. The owner cage is filthy and floor of cage is filled with grass. Is that okay I think it can carry bugs not sure

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
He also looks like having a hard time breathing his tail move up and down like crazy

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Did you not clean out that cage? I would definitely sanitize it!!!! It is time for you to bring the bird in for a vet check!!!!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
At this point in time, you need to take both of your birds into an avian vet. It's going to probably be $80-$150 minimum, but they need to go in for an avian exam and fecal/gram stain + meds.

If you don't take them in, you may risk losing one or both of them...

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
definately clean the cage out very well and yes vet check time for both your birds this sounds serious and wild bird seed is far from what they should have!

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
I have cleaned the inside of the cage and outside gave bird shower with mist he loved it but still some dirt inside he wont let me go inside. My parents wont want to take hit to a vet :/ also i have handfed before and was sucessful. Im just wondering why they did not like each other i now know they might be both males facepalm not sure. will dna test tho.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
thats good you cleaned cages you should show your parents some links online to things that could be wrong with your bird and what could happen if it isnt taken care of whatever it is, theres even one common disease that can be transferred to humans. So since your bird is acting weird you should make sure they are both healthy! i know it took some convincing for my mom to take my birds to the vet once when they werent acting right. And like i said NEVER out two birds together right away it takes time for them to adjust to each-other they wont like each-other right away most likely.

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
Still sick tail bobbing... Still fighting to :/

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Aren't they in separate cages now? Your only option is a vet check up, there's nothing else we can really help you with.

Most Reactions

Latest posts