Lucky find at goodwill (not for Kiwi)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I haven't brought it up too much on this forum as it's not real relevant to birds, but I have been on a hig-raw vegan diet since the end July. Basically, that means I have been keeping about 80% of everything I eat uncooked (and obviously no animal products/meat). I have been really wanting a dehydrator though, as it's kind of an important tool to have eating this way. I was a little bummed as I had been planning to buy a dehydrator soon (a really nice one) but my car ended up having issues that had to be fixed (I needed a running car more than a dehydrator!). And in the funny way the universe works, I had bought a pair of boots at goodwill and realized once I got home, they were both for the same foot! I went to "return" them today, and since goodwill only gives in store credit that, I looked around as I don't go in there very often and the credit expires in 30 days.

So guess what I found in the kitchen department? A (looks) barely used, fully functioning dehydrator Not only that, but it was $14.99, the EXACT price of the boots I returned, so I didn't have to 'pay' anything I hadn't already spent. It must've been meant to be! Not the exact style I wanted, but still, it should allow me to start doing more raw recipes that call for a dehydrator and I guess at the end of the day, that's all I *really* needed. I have still been eating a small amount of cooked food, but with the dehydrator, the variety/options of raw foods I can make now means I can probably get up to virtually all raw foods:D:D:D I am also excited because I have started Kiwi on a new diet and due to our compact fridge, making up 3 months of chop at once isn't possible (not enough freezer room). I am interested to try dehydrating the chop and experimenting with soaking it overnight in the fridge as needed to re-hydrate. I'll let you all know how it goes since I have a feeling dehydrated chop may appeal more to the folks on here than eating nothing but raw fruits/veg/nuts/seeds (hey! I eat like a parrot lol)

This is the exact dehydrator-http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...9/product.html
I still want to save up and get the one I originally wanted, but I feel so lucky to have one I can use for now!

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I want another dehydrater as I used to have one I make beef jerky with plus other food items....been a long time since I made anything that sort.....

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I could not pull the page up but I am so excited for your find. I have been wanting a dehydrator for awhile not just other things seem to take the cash. Let me know how you fair with it

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I will let everyone knows how it works. Won't be able to comment on it's jerky-making abilities;) but I would assume these either work well or they don't.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
That's great April! I went through a few before biting the bullet and buying an Excalibur which has been the best so far and I am sure at my age and the excellent workmanship the last one I will ever have to buy thank goodness.

You are going to find so many great things I make stuff for me and the birds as well. I came up with a organic pumpkin puree with flax and hemp seeds that I dry into cracker like portions they are great!

It is so nice during the months that I can get good produce at the Farmers Market because I can buy it at a better price and dry it. Low temps and longer drying times is the way to go and keeps so much of the nutrients intact. Investing in good storage options and using it up in a timely matter becomes important. When I first started I went crazy drying flippin' everything it was like that weird room-mate "Friends" episode!

Look up "Dan the Man" on YouTube he can be strange but he has great ideas on raw eating.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Oh also if you want to make crackers or fruit roll up like things (wet softer ingredients) just line the trays with un-dyed Parchment paper, works like a charm and makes cleaning a snap and extents the life of your trays.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
That's great April! I went through a few before biting the bullet and buying an Excalibur which has been the best so far and I am sure at my age and the excellent workmanship the last one I will ever have to buy thank goodness.

You are going to find so many great things I make stuff for me and the birds as well. I came up with a organic pumpkin puree with flax and hemp seeds that I dry into cracker like portions they are great!

It is so nice during the months that I can get good produce at the Farmers Market because I can buy it at a better price and dry it. Low temps and longer drying times is the way to go and keeps so much of the nutrients intact. Investing in good storage options and using it up in a timely matter becomes important. When I first started I went crazy drying flippin' everything it was like that weird room-mate "Friends" episode!

Look up "Dan the Man" on YouTube he can be strange but he has great ideas on raw eating.

I have been seeing all the "raw food" people on youtube making desserts and "bread" and "pizza crust" and chips in a dehydrator and I just can't do those kinds of things without one lol. It's been kind of frustrating, as much as I like my spiralizer and things that can be made in a blender or food processor, it's really limited without the dehydrator! I guess it's the "raw food" equivalent of not having an oven lol. I can only eat so many salads and smoothies:p

I know this one I got isn't top of the line, but it seems to be ok. I've been looking at the Raw Rutes dehydrator because it is all stainless and made in the USA, but at $400, it's not something I can afford right now:52: Someday though!

On youtube I've been "gathering information" from "fullyrawkristina", "ravana", "raw.vegan.not.gross" and watched a few videos from a few other raw vegans I didn't like. I'll have to look up "Dan the man".

Oh also if you want to make crackers or fruit roll up like things (wet softer ingredients) just line the trays with un-dyed Parchment paper, works like a charm and makes cleaning a snap and extents the life of your trays.

This one seems to have come with some tray-liners. Would I line those with parchment paper or do those replace the need for parchment paper?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Wow... $400 is a spendy dehydrater.....I don't think my partner would approve it cause there's better thing to spend it on.....lol

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I've been wanting one since my last one "died a slow painful death" years ago, but the money just hasn't been there for a good one.

Hopefully I will be able to get one by the time the fresh produce hits the farmers market this summer! I would love to be able to dry some fruits and veggies for Zilla to use over next winter!

Sounds like you scored a real find!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Wow... $400 is a spendy dehydrater.....I don't think my partner would approve it cause there's better thing to spend it on.....lol

The one I found is an >$100 dehydrator, the one I WANT is $400. Eventually, I do want a top of the line dehydrator because it is as essential as an oven is when it comes to eating raw foods (I guess that's the easiest way to put it). A higher end one has a better design than this round stacking one, and is probably more efficient too. Kind of like my old $30 cheap-o blender "worked", but my high-speed blender (which cost a whole lot more) tears through/liquefies in seconds anything I throw in it. And while my husband isn't "all in" like I am with raw veganism, he really supports what I'm doing and thinks it's a much healthier way to eat/is incorporating more into his diet too. I don't really 'do' fads either, so making such a drastic lifestyle change like this is 99% sure it will be for life. So while I'm not going to spend money we don't have, I will slowly invest in some of these things as we can afford them:).

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East

I have been seeing all the "raw food" people on youtube making desserts and "bread" and "pizza crust" and chips in a dehydrator and I just can't do those kinds of things without one lol. It's been kind of frustrating, as much as I like my spiralizer and things that can be made in a blender or food processor, it's really limited without the dehydrator! I guess it's the "raw food" equivalent of not having an oven lol. I can only eat so many salads and smoothies:p

I know this one I got isn't top of the line, but it seems to be ok. I've been looking at the Raw Rutes dehydrator because it is all stainless and made in the USA, but at $400, it's not something I can afford right now:52: Someday though!

On youtube I've been "gathering information" from "fullyrawkristina", "ravana", "raw.vegan.not.gross" and watched a few videos from a few other raw vegans I didn't like. I'll have to look up "Dan the man".

This one seems to have come with some tray-liners. Would I line those with parchment paper or do those replace the need for parchment paper?

Mine came with a few of the silicone liners or whatever the heck it is made out of but I just use the parchment because then I can toss it and it is way less to wash and I know whats in the parchment paper.
Is yours round or square trays? Years ago I had a round one that one was a little more difficult to use. I did pay over $400 for my new (9 trays) one but when you use these kitchen things in the same fashion that most people use major appliances it puts it into perspective (a little anyway). I did a lot of looking and reading before picking the Excalibur and I have never regretted it.

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
It's round. I wish it wasn't but I'm not complaining;) I don't mind washing liners and hopefully within 6 months I can save up enough for the one I want and 'rehome' this one:). What's one more dish anyways? I kind of don't use paper/single use products as a rule.

This is the one I *really* want-http://www.rawrutes.com/collections/dehydrating/products/square-rutes-5-tray-dehydrator
All stainless, made in the USA and rather nice looking;)

Last edited:

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
It's round. I wish it wasn't but I'm not complaining;) I don't mind washing liners and hopefully within 6 months I can save up enough for the one I want and 'rehome' this one:). What's one more dish anyways? I kind of don't use paper/single use products as a rule.

This is the one I *really* want-http://www.rawrutes.com/collections/dehydrating/products/square-rutes-5-tray-dehydrator

I know,:( I really try to watch how much garbage I am making in the world. I figure (sweet rationalization) it evens out since I don't use paper towels with my oil paintings but re-usable rags but I really HATE washing dishes.

That stainless one is VERY nice I never saw these when I bought mine (and I swear I looked at them all!) so I am assuming they are a some what newer company, looks like they have developed a great product and I am always happy to see something made in the US so rare anymore!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013

If it improves your health there isn't any better thing to spend your money on.

I don't think people spend enough resources on their health or make it a big enough priority.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

I know,:( I really try to watch how much garbage I am making in the world. I figure (sweet rationalization) it evens out since I don't use paper towels with my oil paintings but re-usable rags but I really HATE washing dishes.

That stainless one is VERY nice I never saw these when I bought mine (and I swear I looked at them all!) so I am assuming they are a some what newer company, looks like they have developed a great product and I am always happy to see something made in the US so rare anymore!

I think everything on their website is made in the US and they have a lot of really interesting kitchen items:cool: Expensive, but for a reason (quality). Probably things that could be passed to to great grandchildren and still work well!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East

I don't think people spend enough resources on their health or make it a big enough priority.

So true Karen, I seem to be improving but my health was the WORST it has ever been this year we are talking multiple ambulance trips and ER experiences that were scary and life threatening. When you don't have your health everything else takes a back seat until you can get better. I unfortunately/fortunately found out what was making it so bad and have had to make some hard choices but well when it's do it or die the choices really aren't choices anymore. If it had only been money to make it all go away believe me it would have been worth any amount. Sorry April, this is a long story that I have been meaning to put in my own thread in off topic just has been too raw and painful!:(

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013

So true Karen, I seem to be improving but my health was the WORST it has ever been this year we are talking multiple ambulance trips and ER experiences that were scary and life threatening. When you don't have your health everything else takes a back seat until you can get better. I unfortunately/fortunately found out what was making it so bad and have had to make some hard choices but well when it's do it or die the choices really aren't choices anymore. If it had only been money to make it all go away believe me it would have been worth any amount. Sorry April, this is a long story that I have been meaning to put in my own thread in off topic just has been too raw and painful!:(

Amen!

And I think if people spent more time and money on their health when they are younger a lot of issues later in life would not exist or wouldn't be as serious.

I hope things have improved for you. Health issues are so stressful and scary.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

Amen!

And I think if people spent more time and money on their health when they are younger a lot of issues later in life would not exist or wouldn't be as serious.

I hope things have improved for you. Health issues are so stressful and scary.

I cannot agree more! I try as much as possible to eat and live healthfully so I can avoid medical costs. Eating right and living a healthy lifestyle has done more for keeping my health issues in remission than doctors and pharmaceuticals ever could.

Labell- I really hope you are ok and recovering from whatever happened.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
lucky you,i myself have an sedona.
cost a lot but worth it,i have an vegetable garden and my freezer is too small,also buying expensive fruits when it is in season or in sale is something that helps saving money after some time.
I use them as a treat or in recopies and sometimes i crush them into powder and sprinkle it on top off foods they would not eat without it.
i hope to hear about you experiments!

Most Reactions

Latest posts