macaw chewing feather

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
You may have mentioned, but how long have you had her? It is possible she is doing it out of nervousness - so many changes, so many homes. It is possible she will stop on her own. My Pionus did, after he had been here for maybe 6 or so months.

BUT my macaw does still pluck. He has only been here 6 months now & is also molting. We are trying "Pluck No More" by King's cages. Costs maybe $30/mo & I have been told you should know after 1 month whether it will help YOUR bird (because it doesn't help them all).

Unfortunately for us, our macaw seems to enjoy the taste of the keretin, or whatever is inside the feather shaft. He isn't plucked to the skin; he might not be getting any worse & maybe he is settling in (he seems happy otherwise).

You may just have to give her time. Time & that incredible indoor aviary you are planning. Those are very lucky birds!

Most Reactions

Latest posts