weird (barbered?) feathers

threat2society

Jan 10, 2023
Lithuania
Parrots
my CAG bruknė !! ( Lingonberry in english LOL )
I've written about this problem a few months ago, but it was just a couple feathers. Now they're all over my almost 1 y.o. CAG's body. I don't think she could've done that herself, because only new feathers look like that. i noticed that when a new feather is almost ready, it's already like this. could she have done this herself ? how can i stop this ? she's getting vitamins and calcium every day.

Attachments

• IMG_20240212_163733.jpg
    IMG_20240212_163733.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240212_163928.jpg
    IMG_20240212_163928.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240212_163657.jpg
    IMG_20240212_163657.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 11

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Aside from being a little shaggy her feathers look quite healthy. Do you see her preen herself? Have you managed to convince her to bathe? I find that when my birds feathers start looking shaggy like that, a few nice baths really helps them clean up.

OP
threat2society

threat2society

Jan 10, 2023
Lithuania
Parrots
my CAG bruknė !! ( Lingonberry in english LOL )
Aside from being a little shaggy her feathers look quite healthy. Do you see her preen herself? Have you managed to convince her to bathe? I find that when my birds feathers start looking shaggy like that, a few nice baths really helps them clean up.
i tried taking her to the shower with me a couple times, she didn't show any interest although she got her belly slightly wet so that's progress:) but it's nice to know they're healthy! thank you :))

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
You may need to experiment a bit!! Oddly, my conure seems to have a strong preference for cold water for example. She'll ignore a bathing dish if the water is too warm. She gets excited for running water but I've never seen her actually step into a shower stream, so for her I fill a pie dish with water and let her go crazy. Some birds don't like faucets or shower heads but they like being spritzed with a misting bottle. It just depends on the bird, you might just need to try several different bathing methods until you find one she likes!!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
As a young bird perhaps she hasn’t gotten the knack of how to “zip up” her feathers.

they mostly look unkempt not deformed

this was how my Bella looked when I got her at less than a year old.
IMG_1184.jpeg

Most Reactions

Latest posts