Macaw Feather Growth

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
"Apple" Yellow-sided Green Cheeck Conure
I have a friend who adopted and rescued an Amazon Parrot... Not sure what species. Kiwi (her name) was found in the desert very beat up, plucked feathers, and a messed up wing. I don't know full details on the story or what happened but the poor thing was severely neglected (again, not sure about the whole story). Her feathers look pretty raggedy and her wing is worse. Also, is a VERY sketchy bird.

Are there any vitamins or special fruts and veggies that will help her with her feather growth?

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
OOPS! I don't know why I typed Macaw, sorry! I was thinking Amazon but my fingers typed Macaw. :rolleyes:

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Add flaxseed oil to the diet for a while. Lots of veggies (no pasta), outside time or purchase a UVB bulb.

My favorite product for calming a bird when transitioning into a new home is Avicalm (use only once a day not twice).

Back to Flaxseed oil... just buy the pills from walmart and sqeeze the contents onto that days food every other day for about 3 weeks.

The red lored amazons I have were two of the crappiest looking birds I'd ever seen. I put them on a fresh food only diet for 2 weeks with flaxseed oil and added avian essentials (for trace minerals) and they shined right up. They're now on pellet and fresh foods like the rest of the flock.

The bird needs to see a vet (test for chlamydiosis, giardia, polyoma, etc).

Also pay close attentiont to the beak and toe nails, a neglected crappy looking amazon was most likely fed seed, and if so fatty liver disease (hyperkaratosis) is pretty common. Also make sure you can feel the keel bone (amazons are freakeshly prone to obesity (in the wild they can fly about 50 one way to their feeding grounds) so sticking them in a cage with food 6" away doesn't encourage exorcise... amazons need to be let out daily for exorcise. There is a yahoo group called feedingfeathers and they can give you a lot more specific suggestions with regard to diet. Good luck :)

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Thank you SO so so so much! :D I will get that info. right to her... THANK YOU!

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
I know poor thing... She says the bird doesn't hate her but she just needs to gain more trust in her. She told me that as long as she was happy where she was, she was not going to give up on Kiwi no matter what. I already gave her lots of tips on how to make her a bit happier, I guess from what my friend told me is that Kiwi is still plucking... She had her on a seed mix but said she was going to shop around for a good pellet food as well as making sure Kiwi gets fresh fruits and veggies daily (she was not doing that). :D I'm happy i'm helping someone out with their birdie, thank you! I'd post a picture but I have to ask permission first. :)

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Here is a picture of the birdie. Her wing is also broken... :/ She was like when she was adopted by my friend.

262258_180178565374398_100001467683605_473220_4158946_n.jpg

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Please consult with. A vet about possibly having that wing reformed or (more likely) removed.... Our blue and gold had an old broken wing and we had the vet operate, because she wouldn't flaap either wing because when the wing healed it was in such a way as to cause. Her pain.... I know a military macaw who had a wing removed after a horrible accident and she does very well....

Just a thought. Ask a GOOD avian vet what they recomend.

Hochimama

May 5, 2011
Malaysia
Parrots
{used to have} Fisher LoveBird, PeachFace Lovebird, Albino Indian RingNeck {used to have}
since he is rescued ~~ i think better get a vet to check it and see what they recommend. It is a very beautiful amazon ~~

is it red lored amazon ??

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
I will be sure and ask her if the bird has been seen by a Vet. She resced her from a shelter but am not sure if the shelter takes care of first Vet. visits.

Yes I believe she is a Red Lored Amazon. :)

Hochimama

May 5, 2011
Malaysia
Parrots
{used to have} Fisher LoveBird, PeachFace Lovebird, Albino Indian RingNeck {used to have}
I have to say ~~ she's beautiful ~~ hope she get her feather back real soon ~~ keep us posted ~~ love to see more pictures of this beauty ~~ ^^

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Thank you. :) She has a Vet. appointment this coming month to get her nails and beak trim but will also get a health check.

Most Reactions