macaw in love

mirjana

Jul 28, 2017
Macedonia
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw, name Koko
Hi,
I have some questions about blue and gold macaw, 1 year old. I have him for only one month. He bonded with me from the first day. Now when ever I enter the room he immediately lands on me ( 10 times a day- whenever). He prefers my shoulder by I am not letting him, so on my hand. when he is in my hand he is biting me softly, is that affection? And when I wont let him on my shoulder the biting becomes painful. How to teach him not to lend on but to came when I call or take him? if he is near me he would jump on his stand just to be on me. I do love him, but I cant feed my kids because he has to be with me , on my shoulder. I think that is the way he was trained. who ever enters the home is welcome by him and would stay on any shoulder but 1 minute than me again. He sings to me and says hi when I am in other room.
help please, because I think my method of not letting him on my shoulder and putting him back on his stand is getting frustrating for him.
The other question is about his tail feathers. We bought him lake this- no feather on his tail for 10 cm, only the tail. will they grow back? is he hitting his feathers from the bird stand or what?

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
My husband has a macaw who uses his beak to grab a finger and lift it, it's his way of asking for a head scratch. Or sometimes he wants the finger to be kind of jerked gently back and forth, some kind of baby/feeding behavior maybe.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, we'd love to see pictures of your macaw!

Seems your macaw is well bonded to you and, as with most birds, loves the shoulder. That is a place reserved only for the most trustworthy due to potential damage to your head or neck.

The "beak" link plumsmum2005 provided is perhaps the best source of information. Removing him from your shoulder and giving a proper reward may be a helpful technique.

OP
M

mirjana

Jul 28, 2017
Macedonia
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw, name Koko
Tanks for the replays. The man that we adapted Koko from, for all the questions says: it is normal, ti is OK, and that is it. So thanks again. I am from Macedonia and our veterinarians knows less than me.
I see that understanding the body language is the key. I will put album with his fathers. Please reply for the feather damage that he has. I read all about the internal clock and molting, but I want Koko to be healthy and happy. And I thing he is older than we were let to believe, because he is doing some dance that may be for mating. How can I attach a video?
I work 2 jobs, have 2 kids, a big house and a husband how works a lot too, so sorry if I do not have the time to write and reply often.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Yes, body language is so important, particularly with a macaw. You can review many threads in the Macaw section in addition to the "Big Beak" link kindly provided by plumsmum2005.

Most Reactions

Latest posts