Macaw newbie. What do I need to know and look for?

Cambios

Sep 14, 2014
After a lot of research, thinking, planning, debating with ourselves, our family is very strongly considering adding two birds to our family (myself, my wife, and 2 daughters - 12 and 8 years old). One of the birds is a female blue and gold macaw (born this July, not ready to come home with us for a few more weeks). :blue1:

A few things I am curious about:

1) Are there telltale signs about the healthiness and condition of a macaw? She looks healthy and happy as far as I can tell. She's extremely friendly, steps up just fine, likes being held, and is incredibly gentle with her beak. Here are some pictures of my daughters holding her:

bird-macaw.jpg

bird-macaw2.jpg

I really like the breeder/shop and every bird we've seen there is extremely friendly. Even the older rescues there that I have interacted with have been quite friendly (though not as much as the babies, for obvious reasons). But I have no idea how to tell if a bird seems to be healthy and starting off in great shape.

I know what to look for in dogs, and ways to test their personality (seeing how they respond to being on their backs, for example). If there is anything you can check for with birds (or a macaw specifically), I'd love to know!

2)
Our goal is to not only spend time with her at home, but also take her with us to work often where she'll also meet more people. We own a video game development company. We don't have customers at our studio, but we do occasionally have visitors in addition to the people who work there. Any concerns here?

3) Assuming we spend a lot of time with her and heavily socialize her, what can we generally expect as far as negative behaviors? I know birds are all individuals and can behave very differently. So I am asking in general terms. Here I am asking about things like biting, messiness, destructiveness, loudness, and things we need to worry about.

To what extent can these "negative" behaviors be mitigated with good training, socialization, and discipline on our part? (by discipline, I mean OUR discipline - not spoiling her, putting her away if she is bad/loud/destructive/etc.)

4) Again, assuming all the above, what can we generally expect as far as positive behaviors? It is my understanding that b&g macaws are "lap birds", and love to be held, have their bellies rubbed, and that sort of thing.

I also understand they they tend to be good talkers, can learn a lot of tricks or ways to communicate (blowing kisses, waving, singing, etc).

5) Any other things I really should be thinking about or considering here? Personality tendencies I should consider, specific things we should do in preparation before adding her to our family, or really any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

Also, in case it is a factor: the other bird is a sun conure. The two birds were babies together, are used to each other, and often each from the same bowl. I know the size difference is significant and we will always be watching them when they are out and about. We have a corgi so that's already something we know we have to do any time we have the birds out.

Thank you!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
1) Are there telltale signs about the healthiness and condition of a macaw? She looks healthy and happy as far as I can tell. She's extremely friendly, steps up just fine, likes being held, and is incredibly gentle with her beak. Here are some pictures of my daughters holding her:

Like most animals, be sure they are not lethargic, have clear, bright eyes and appear interested in their surroundings...it is always a plus if the breeder has previously had the bird vetted and if so, you can always check the breeder out with their vet...

[/B]
I really like the breeder/shop and every bird we've seen there is extremely friendly. Even the older rescues there that I have interacted with have been quite friendly (though not as much as the babies, for obvious reasons). But I have no idea how to tell if a bird seems to be healthy and starting off in great shape.

The breeder/shop where you obtain a bird should be the first clue as to whether you're getting a good bird...if the shop looks organized, bright and clean and the personnel are knowledgeable about the birds, not only in the shop, but can answer most of your questions about other species too, and are more interested in the customer fully understanding the investment they will be making when deciding to bring a bird into their life.....

There are pros & cons of both types, juvenile birds and older birds...with juvenile birds, you have the chance to see them grow into adult birds, though that is not always fun, especially when some species reach puberty.....

I know what to look for in dogs, and ways to test their personality (seeing how they respond to being on their backs, for example). If there is anything you can check for with birds (or a macaw specifically), I'd love to know!

While our members will be able to give you invaluable help & insights on living with B & Gs, your reading & research should continue...

2)
Our goal is to not only spend time with her at home, but also take her with us to work often where she'll also meet more people. We own a video game development company. We don't have customers at our studio, but we do occasionally have visitors in addition to the people who work there. Any concerns here?

The only problem I can see there, would be if any of your employees were allergic to or might have a phobia about birds, but you could inquire of them first.....similarly, I think I would post a prominent notice in your foyer/guest receiving area that you have birds on the premises, there are some people who are just afraid of birds period.....I had a client who is that way and I had stopped by her house to deliver a project quotation and had parked in a side drive. When I arrived, she was leaving & we stood in front of her house chatting, when my Patagonian conure came flying around the corner, past my client & landed on my shoulder.....I had no idea she was afraid of animals, not just birds, but dogs, cats & other animals too.....we had done several projects for her in the previous couple of years and she knew I had birds, but her aversion/fear of the never came up until here Heidi sat about 6' away on my shoulder.....all ended well and continued to work for her until I decided to retire.

3) Assuming we spend a lot of time with her and heavily socialize her, what can we generally expect as far as negative behaviors? I know birds are all individuals and can behave very differently. So I am asking in general terms. Here I am asking about things like biting, messiness, destructiveness, loudness, and things we need to worry about.

Will let the B & G owners pop in here...

To what extent can these "negative" behaviors be mitigated with good training, socialization, and discipline on our part? (by discipline, I mean OUR discipline - not spoiling her, putting her away if she is bad/loud/destructive/etc.)

Will let the B & G owners pop in here also...

4) Again, assuming all the above, what can we generally expect as far as positive behaviors? It is my understanding that b&g macaws are "lap birds", and love to be held, have their bellies rubbed, and that sort of thing.

I also understand they they tend to be good talkers, can learn a lot of tricks or ways to communicate (blowing kisses, waving, singing, etc).

Will let the B & G owners pop in here...

5) Any other things I really should be thinking about or considering here? Personality tendencies I should consider, specific things we should do in preparation before adding her to our family, or really any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

Also, in case it is a factor: the other bird is a sun conure. The two birds were babies together, are used to each other, and often each from the same bowl. I know the size difference is significant and we will always be watching them when they are out and about. We have a corgi so that's already something we know we have to do any time we have the birds out.

Bringing any bird into a home with existing pets, you'll need to watch for potential jealousy from your corgi...they were originally bred as hunters home protectors and vermin catchers, but introduce new birds in much the same way as you do children to older adults.....

Good luck.....

Last edited:
OP
C

Cambios

Sep 14, 2014
I don't remember if I mentioned this, but we aren't planning to have the birds out unless someone is actively monitoring/playing with them.

We are too afraid of accidentally stepping on them, having a problem with the dog, the birds having trouble with each other, or the birds destroying stuff. We feel like they will get a lot of time out of the cage naturally between our family and also taking them to the office that we don't need to just "let them roam" around the house.

Is that a factor in any of my original questions/concerns?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I think you're thinking in all the right areas, but, while I'm thinking of it, parrots like the same things tomorrow as they had today, so don't ever give more than you can afford timewise/attentionwise, though they will usually fall into the household routines pretty easily.....spoiling parrots with the "newness" attention that all new pets create, then taking that away from them often brings out tantrums...think two & three year old children who don't get their way.....

Don't worry about the B & G owners not having chimed in yet, sometimes members may not check threads for a day or two.....

OP
C

Cambios

Sep 14, 2014
I think you're thinking in all the right areas, but, while I'm thinking of it, parrots like the same things tomorrow as they had today, so don't ever give more than you can afford timewise/attentionwise, though they will usually fall into the household routines pretty easily.....spoiling parrots with the "newness" attention that all new pets create, then taking that away from them often brings out tantrums...think two & three year old children who don't get their way.....

This sounds a lot like how we've raised our children :p. We give them a lot of love, attention, and support, but we also give them room to be their own people, take responsibilities for themselves, etc. So far it has worked and both of our kids are pretty exceptional (sorry, couldn't help but parent brag).

If we can replicate that attitude towards our parrots, perhaps it will carry over?

Don't worry about the B & G owners not having chimed in yet, sometimes members may not check threads for a day or two.....

Good to know. Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts