macaw quwstion

Fourmom

Dec 10, 2011
Hello Everyone! I am new to the forums and I was hoping some of you could answer something for me. I have an absolutely wonderful 4 month old Hahns Macaw. she isn a wonderful bird! I was preening her today, as we do every day and some of her feather casings were black. I only preen the head and neck area and she does the rest. her behavior has not changed at all. She is still the same loving cuddly bird as when in first got her.

I have a Moluccan cockatoo andba severe macaw as well and haven't noticed this at all on them. anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Donna

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
I would not mess with the darker feather casings. This sounds to me that the black you are seeing is the blood inside the feather. Only at the tips when they are white and the feather is about or starting to come through, I normally will use my finger nails at the tip of the feather where it is white and gently squeeze until it flakes off but never move to the darker part of the feather. I hope this answers your question. Thanks Joe

OP
F

Fourmom

Dec 10, 2011
Thanks so much. I thought it might be something like that. we won't preen in the dark anymore. we were cuddling and watching a movie.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
Cuddling with the Macaw is always allowed and you cannot overdue this. Both my boys are cuddlebugs and compete for my attn and love, thank goodness that I have 2 hands, one for each bird. Best of luck Joe

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Also if the blood feather ever breaks open, yank the feather out right away!

OP
F

Fourmom

Dec 10, 2011
Lord knows my babies to cuddle. If I don't get them quick enough, they climb into my sleeves and work their way up to the neck and then stick their heads out! cuddling is a mandatory 3 times per day. That has been made very clear. I also dread the day I have to pull a feather, that will suck.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
Knock on wood, I have never had a broken blood feather with my boys. I don't think I would have an issue pulling the feather out but I know how much this has to hurt the birds. I too spoil my boys with cuddles and if I'm not in the mood to cuddle, they are the first ones to let me know. no matter what kind of a bad day I have had, I then remember how calm and what a stress release it is after the cuddles are over. So this is truely a win win for both the owners and birds. Joe

Most Reactions

Latest posts