Macaw.. Seed nut mix??

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
No problem. :) And don't go throwing away what you bought either. You can always mix it under the other food. I'm not a big fan of throwing money out the window, unless I really bought something harmful. :)

You sound SO super excited about your new baby!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
JerseyWendy, thanks for the link. I don't want to start a who's food is better war, but reading through the pages of the link that you provided, they all sounded good. Instead of asking which is the best, were there any that should be avoided?

Also, there was a pretty good savings on the bulk food. Is there any reason not to get the bulk food?

Thanks,
Tom

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
I'm going to be using this mix primarily along with Goldenfeast and Higgins... It's a great mix with over 75 ingrediants. I currently use the smaller sized pieces/nuts for my Pionus and a bigger size for my Amazon.... bigger yet will be the below size for my Macaw.

Bountiful Harvest Blend for Large Birds PER LB. - MY BIRD SAFE BLENDS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

They love it and you can get it with or without pellets.

In regards to buying bulk...don't personally reccomend buying in bulk because it's not always as fresh.

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
JerseyWendy, thanks for the link. I don't want to start a who's food is better war, but reading through the pages of the link that you provided, they all sounded good. Instead of asking which is the best, were there any that should be avoided?

Also, there was a pretty good savings on the bulk food. Is there any reason not to get the bulk food?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom, I honestly don't know which foods on that list are "bad". All I can tell you is that I personally LOVE Goldenfeast mixes and natural pellets, as I've had great success with those with my fids. :) I try and avoid colored pellets.

There is NO reason to avoid bulk IF you can either safely store it or have your fids eat it in a reasonable amount of time. :)

I always buy enough to last me a month.

Mommajack

Jun 11, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Rudy the Ruby Macaw
Yes, I'm keeping what I have already, and am in the process of seeing if it's cheaper to just put together my own mix.

Is it true you shouldn't feed Macaws peanuts?

:red1: BTW, Rudy started trying to say "I love you" today. He's not quite there but he's trying ^.^

EDIT
Why isn't my profile pic showing up :(

EDIT 2
Nvm, figured out the profile pic!

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, I'm keeping what I have already, and am in the process of seeing if it's cheaper to just put together my own mix.

Is it true you shouldn't feed Macaws peanuts?

:red1: BTW, Rudy started trying to say "I love you" today. He's not quite there but he's trying ^.^

AAAAWWWW!!!! That is GREAT!! He'll be saying it in no time, I'm sure. :) My Niko, for the LONGEST time, only said "I"...."I"...."I"..... I always finished his sentence. Then he got further "I love...." "I love...." He was stuck on that for quite a while. When he FINALLY said the whole thing I nearly fell out of my socks. :D

As for the peanuts, here is an interesting read. You can decide afterwards if you want to feed (unshelled) peanuts. :) Aspergillus ? Are Peanuts Safe for Parrots | Parrot Parrot

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Has anyone had success with hitting your local grocery bulk isle, and making your own mix? My bird came with a bag of human-grade, $77 seed, nut and fruit mix, but the bird seemed to waste most of it. Figured it might make more sense to try different items from that mix (raw pumpkin, sunflower, dried apricots, bananas, papaya, cranberry, soy nuts, etc), to see what they'd take.

My local Hannafords store has a great bulk section that has a lot of unsalted and raw items that might work.

I go to our local health food store and I come out with plenty of healthy items(all organic) for my birds.
I buy approx.30lbs. for about $22.00, it reduces waste, as some birds prefer some things over others, so I customize some dishes.

Most Reactions