Macaw Training

Evenstar

Oct 15, 2013
Hi, I have wanted a Macaw my whole life and am looking to finally get one next year sometime and I am wanting to find a really good training program. I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for something that starts at square one for someone who has never had or worked with a bird before. I know there are alot of videos on youtube that I have kind of skimmed through but I would really like to find something that is kind of a step by step thing thats like okay you have mastered these skills so you can move on to these ones.
Thanks for your time

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
The issue is birds are not "Step by step" animals. A training that is working great for one bird could send another into feather plucking terrors. Where one parrot can easily do one trick another may never learn to do it. You best bet is to read as much as you can , from as many places as possible. Then once you get your bird you can see what work and what does not for them.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
This is really not something you can learn over the internet. I can give you tips and pointers, but the ins and outs of macaw behavior are kind of complex...

Macaws are much like human toddlers (with the capacity to bite harder!)

Again, if I had the time, I'd write a book.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Information from the following trainers and people may be of help.

Barbara Heidenreich
Lara Joseph
Karen Pryor
Melinda Johnson
Susan Friedman

OP
E

Evenstar

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks Monicamc I will look into those people and birdman I never said I expected to learn it over the internet I did say I have watched several videos on YouTube but I was really asking where I could find good reliable sources for information.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The best advice I can give you is that you raise a macaw the same way you raise a toddler. With nurturing guidance, and safe, structured interaction.

You need a firm and confident hand with a macaw. If you set and enforce the rules with these guys, they will obey them. If they are allowed to "push the envelope" you may quickly find the bird is training you... which won't be pleasant.

Macaws are one of the most attention oriented birds on the planet. If they don't get good attention, they will do something to get bad attention. Because ANY attention is better than none. They don't take to being ignored.

The first order of business is step up training and bite pressure training. Bite pressure training is really just a form of beak play that you do with the bird communicating when he is applying too much pressure. With a baby big mac, it's fairly easy. With a set in his ways adult, not so easy, and usually involves a few blood draws... (and yes, I have a few scars myself from that one!)

Like I said, I could write a book, and intend to to a detailed training post soon, but I am limited in time right now.

Get to know your bird, and his or her personal moods, pet peeves, quirks, etc. They all have them...

And enjoy. Big Macs are probably my all time favorite bird to work with...

Most Reactions