Macaw Weights Thread

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Great Thread, as stated earlier, here are a couple of pictures of my Big Red (Neleno) Best of luck to all. Thanks Joe

Attachments

• GW Neleno, Eclectus Guapo.jpg
    GW Neleno, Eclectus Guapo.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 418
  • Neleno enjoying the T.V. He loves when fast things shoot across the screen and says What's that.jpg
    Neleno enjoying the T.V. He loves when fast things shoot across the screen and says What's that.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 226
  • neleno learns to stand on my head 2.jpg
    neleno learns to stand on my head 2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 135
  • Neleno and Guapo, Hard to believe that Guapo wears the pants in this Family.jpg
    Neleno and Guapo, Hard to believe that Guapo wears the pants in this Family.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 220
OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Remington was 1570 when i weighed him last week~ 15 year old GW
Ah, that's similar to Salsa's morning weight. I bet Remington doesn't inflate himself with water like Salsa does during the day and at dinner time ;) That's kind of a bad habit he's got. This morning Salsa weighed in at 1550 on the nose. I doubt I'll weigh him during the afternoon or at night anymore since it's not telling me much.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
On "empty" Niko weighed 1,280g yesterday morning. I also weigh my birds at least once a week.

Niko's a pretty large B & G, but I don't want him to get any "heavier" ;) He's got a thing for "yum yum", and it's hard for me not to give in. :eek:

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Yesterday I became somewhat concerned again about Salsa's issue with increasing weight. His morning weight yesterday was 1578. That's up from 1550 just four days previously. I'm not sure how much these apparently increasing morning weights can be attributed to his habit of bloating himself up with water during the day. He never gets extra sodium, so that's not a factor

This morning Salsa's weight was down some; it was 1571. I'm hoping he's leveled off.

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
This morning Salsa's weight was 1576. So maybe the 1570's is his plateau zone. If so, he sure climbed up to this point rather quickly. He has gained approximately 100 grams in just 4 months. I'm now thinking that he lost quite a bit of weight from feeling devastated and becoming very depressed as a result of Terrie's death in May. She didn't have a digital scale so she never tracked his weight while she was alive. I think she just allowed the vet to keep track during checkups. So maybe this is where Salsa will hold steady weight-wise.

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
So I've mostly convinced myself that Salsa's significant weight gain must merely be a return to normal. That is, it seems reasonable he would have been quite depressed from losing his mom and being forced to stay locked in his cage alone each day while his mom's husband was at work. Then on top of that he got shipped off to live with a stranger. That's quite an ordeal for a Macaw who was a beloved family member his entire life. I can see how that may have resulted in a large weight loss for Salsa. So now I suppose I'll just worry about his tendency to frequently bloat himself with water.

I weighed Salsa tonight after his dinner (and his mandatory water play/drinking session that always goes with it) and he hit another all time high. I even snapped some pics when he stepped on the scale.

The most I've ever seen him weigh after bloating himself (1642 grams!)
Salsa_bloat1.jpg

But he comes down pretty quickly after he poops a few times (down to 1630 grams)
Salsa_bloat2.jpg

So how do you stop a bird from drinking lots and lots or water with his meals?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Plax, I get teary eyed each time you talk about Salsa's first mommy. :( I think you're absolutely right though. Salsa's gone through a lot, and his weight is now stabilizing again.

I wish I could help you with his water binges, but I'm totally clueless. :confused:

On a funny note, perhaps I should start weighing myself before and then AFTER a ...well...you know, after flushing my system, so that I may feel encouraged. :D

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Thanks for your response, Wendy. I guess I've pretty much been talking to myself here about Salsa's weight issues. It's nice to know at least one person reads it ;)

So Salsa's weight this morning was back down to 1576, which is consistent with my theory. It seems the 1570's is where he might stay. Drinking all of that water seems to be part of his play ritual at feeding time. It doesn't seem to hurt him at all but it's sure peculiar. I guess that's just Salsa though :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
No, no, you weren't having a monologue, Plax ;) I was all ears.

Perhaps Salsa was an elephant in his previous life. :confused: (joke)

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
Red Front 428 g
Severe 409 g
Catalina 980 g
Illigers 265 g
Blue Throat 646 g

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
Chadwick, how old is your Catalina? My four year old Catalina weighs around 1136, which the vet thought was large for a female, but she is not fat. She was a male in her first three homes but had a sex change (DNA) when we got her.

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
Plax lol i do prefer not to refer to them as a collection but my babies lol.......love them all.....my catalina is just about to hit 2 years.....i always thought my catalina was small at 980........my catalina is also a female.....the vet said she was perfect weight when I took her to bird clinic.....my redfront at 428 is very small as my severe is almost the same weight.......but she's a very active bird

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Plax lol i do prefer not to refer to them as a collection but my babies lol.......love them all.
Sorry about that... I didn't mean to objectify them :eek: Mine are my babies as well :)

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
plax :) Fargo weighed in at 1015g yesterday.. he is getting bigger each day :p hahaha might overtake salsa ;) jks jks
Congrats, Tab :) Fargo is movin' on up! Best of luck on his goal!! ;) Actually, I'm relieved that Salsa's weight isn't increasing anymore. This morning he weighed in at 1570g on the mark. I guess he's just a bird who likes to eat plenty and drink lots of water while doing so :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts