Macaws Calling to each other

Joannr24

Apr 26, 2014
Toby my milligold stays in the family room while Cosmo my B&G baby is in the other room with my U2 and grey because Toby got all upset when Cosmo
showed up. Now they call to each other and it can be loud. I am ignoring it but would the calling stop if I bring Toby back in the room with the other birds?

MissJD

Aug 23, 2013
Australind, Western Australia
Parrots
Mjölnir a.k.a Olly the adorable Major Mitchell
I would imagine that it is likely to stop or at least reduce, since they can see the other member of their flock/family and don't need to constantly reassure themselves that they are there. How did Toby react? As in, what behaviors did he show?

I don't have any experience with macaws but I would imagine this is the type of thing that will take a lot of time and patience to overcome, introducing Cosmo to Toby again in stages perhaps?

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
Macaws should not be housed together with dusty birds and that would be the U2 and grey. Macaws will develop respiratory issues further down the road which will not develop for several years. Like a smoker, the cancer won't show up until later and then it will be a killer. At least people can make that choice but birds cannot. I know a lot of people will say to just get a good air cleaner, but in reality, is that even good enough? I sure would not want to be the one responsible to make a bad decision for another's life.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Macaws should not be housed together with dusty birds and that would be the U2 and grey. Macaws will develop respiratory issues further down the road which will not develop for several years. Like a smoker, the cancer won't show up until later and then it will be a killer. At least people can make that choice but birds cannot. I know a lot of people will say to just get a good air cleaner, but in reality, is that even good enough? I sure would not want to be the one responsible to make a bad decision for another's life.

That's as much a ventilation and cleanliness thing as anything. If there is enough ventilation, and the cages aren't right next to each other, and you clean properly, it isn't the issue people make it out to be.

It is a hazard in a room that doesn't get proper ventillation, and an air purifier does help with this...

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
:eek::52:<----My reaction when I saw the title to this thread. Sounds like your house must be getting LOUD if the big macs are calling out for each other;) Toby may have been a tad jealous at first, and is now regretting not being within eyeshot of his fellow macaw:) You've had Toby long enough now he's over his quarantine right? So long as both birds are healthy, why not put them in the same room (in cages) so they can see each other and see if thats what their fussing about. That would be the logical first step to me, and I would give Toby a little time to adjust to the new 'friend' being in his room. If after a week they were still acting pissy towards each other, then I would look to other solutions.

OP
J

Joannr24

Apr 26, 2014
Thanks all!! Yes it's a big open room and the cages are far apart. I am going to move Toby back in this weekend. My next concern is that Toby bit me hard when Cosmo showed up. I know it's jealousy but I am wondering if he will keep biting me when Cosmo is around or if he'll get over it.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Thanks all!! Yes it's a big open room and the cages are far apart. I am going to move Toby back in this weekend. My next concern is that Toby bit me hard when Cosmo showed up. I know it's jealousy but I am wondering if he will keep biting me when Cosmo is around or if he'll get over it.

DEPENDS ON THE BIRD. Usually they get over it in time. Don't expect it to stop immediately though. What you have to do is perservere, and send a message that Toby is not being displaced, BUT you're not going to tolerate that sort of nasty behavior.

You need to work on flock ettiquite now. We don't bite. We don't attack each other. Everyone gets a turn. You wait your turn like everyone else. Mom puts you in time out if you do...

Establish a routine, with Toby ALWAYS going first... and that should help some.

Socializing macaws is an inexact science. I can't tell you how long this will take, or whether it will work. But it usually does. I've handled as many as eight at once... so I know it can be done.

Watch for things that trigger bad behaviors, and try to eliminate those.

Most Reactions