macaws loose in a tree(sucess story)

dollybird

Jun 28, 2012
hi there,i just wanted to post my experiance i had with my blue and gold macaw,dollybird> and hope it will serve and help somebody and give them hope in the present or near future..as believe me,,it can and will happen to somebody else...well im a relativley new owner in the macaw world,ive had dolly bird for aprox 8 months and shes about 6yrs old.im not sure of her history but she came to me at the beginning as a lovable but very nervous and extremley unpredictable biting behaviour(apologies if im rambling lol) slowley i built up a teenie weenie bit of trust and in no time she was hopping on and off my arm..thisis where the problem started,,,she was so nervous she never strayed far from me and was always a superglued bird grip on my arm.myt stupidity set in when i began to think that if i took her outside shed never leave my side.god how wrong can one be.....a gust of wind and in seconds she was spooked,airbourne,and in full flight,and,,,,,GONE il try and cut story short and if anyone wants to contact me,i will post my number at bottom. she flew into the woods which are very dense and i thought there be no chance of recovery.i found her eventually by calling her name or any saying id said repeatedly to her since id had her.she responded and screeched and the more i called,the nearer her screech was and i managed to track her down to a clump of trees where it took about an hour of looking up to try spot her.im afraid from then on it was playing the waiting game...she was out for 5 days,in those 5 days shed flown to 4 diff trees but each time i did the same thing,i kept calling out and listened till her screech became nearer to where i was calling so it worked all the time. i was lucky as she never went far from the house.this enabled me to get both perch,and cage to the foot of the tree where she could see it.the ideal place for it is so they can have a gradual flight down to it,not a vertical drop as like my dollybird,she hated coming even off her perch headfirst i can only stress the fact that all you can do is wait,rattle her food wait,rattle her food tins etc etc etc...now i practically lived at the foot of the tree,i wanted her to know that i was there and that she didnt have to be so scared,i think this helped her stay in the one place.triouble is theres lots of things that can spook them,especially i found at early light and just before sundown when unfortunatley nature kicks in and they want to fly anyway.so just try stay there till night fall as they will roost and you know there atleast be there for remainder of night and you can atleast go home and rest yourself.by the end of 4th day i knew she must be starving,i could see her trying to get down but she was petrified.the afternoon of the 5th day was when i think her survival instinct kicked in over fear.i must have rattled her food tins repeatedly for a good couple of hours,i did this calmly and as if i was filling her feed bowls at home as normal.twig by twig,branch by branch,foot by foot she cane down from 80ft to about 22ft.luckily she pannicked and fell before she knew what had happened and by then she was to low to fly anywhere but toward the ground where she kind of cartwheeled into a bush and i got her(it wasnt a pretty landing lol) i was lucky,i think somebody upstairs was looking after me but also im convinced it was because i never GAVE UP please please NEVER GIVE UP.she always knew i was there even if she just sat there and bloody preened in the tree which was very frustrating lol.i shes off to the vets tmro for a health check up,and,,,,, clipped wings lol. if you love your bird like i do the key is....DONT EVER,EVER,EVER GIVE UP ON THEM :) MY NUMB IS 07776316507 DARRELL

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Thank you so much. A lot of people call it quits after a week and its so sad. A question I had though, which, may or may not be dumb, is if you could see her why didn't call your local animal patrol/ rescue to come get her?

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Thankyou for sharing your story with us :) I am so pleased it had a Happy Ending for you, and Dollybird and she is now back safetly where she belongs :) and Welcome to the Forum :)

Last edited:

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Happy ending! I'm glad you got Dolly back home safely. I remember when I first started letting my U2, Amigo, free fly,,,I was a basket case! He didn't quite know how to fly down from a tree, he would mostly try and climb down, then the ladders would come out to help him the rest of the way. Our journey was like watching a baby learn to crawl then walk and finally run, to where ever he wants to be.

Good job! You never gave up and more than likely, built a stronger bond with your girl.

OP
D

dollybird

Jun 28, 2012
Hi guys, thanks for the replies;) sorry the thread post was so long lol. In answer to your question Maria... The fire brigade was out of the question as she was inaccessible to any rescue ladders as she was deep in the forest. The RSPCA wouldn't attend unroll shed been loose for more than 48 hrs plus all the trees were at least 100ft plus high and boy she had 100 to choose from lol

OP
D

dollybird

Jun 28, 2012
And as for bonding, yes, she's only bitten me twice today haha

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

haha! I wasn't talking about calling in the fire dept.! When our Amigo couldn't get down from a tree, we would carry a ladder to where he was at. I free fly my bird. He pretty much lives outside, comes and goes as he pleases,,,now. In the beginning of our free flight venture with him, it was very stressful and reading your post brought back memories!

You will learn to read Dolly's moods and body language and if you pay attention, it get's sooo much better!

OP
D

dollybird

Jun 28, 2012
Lol Maria:) I think free flying for me is a long way at the back of my parrot training manual haha. I comend you on your cleverness in getting yours to do it tho;) I think I'm going to begin just teaching her to just get down off the cage for her food. Any advice on is it best to give her raw veg. Carrots etc cooked? Raw? Alternate? I have no chance reading her body language,,, she's after all.... A FEMALE!!!!! Hehe

OP
D

dollybird

Jun 28, 2012
Ps I didn't like idea of getting her wings clipped and although I'm no free spirit .. Live in a mud hut in the middle of nowhere kind of guy I at least keep her cage free and she has the run of the house... Again... Don't all females;)

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
Parrots
we call him Amigo!

I have cockatoos and am no way an expert when it comes to birds. Mi Amigo was my first parrot and was just "planted" on me, I knew nothing! After 4 yrs. with this bird, (and newly acquired goffin's cockatoo), I know that you have to try all veggies and fruits, (not all at once), and you will find what they like and how they like it. Then the next week it changes! They keep you on your toes, for sure! Oh yeah, pellets, rice and beans are an important part of their diet also.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Glad you were able to get your Macaw out of the tree. I had to laugh when reading this story.
You see I take both my boys on my profile picture out for walks. My GW Macaw and SI Male Eclectus are both scared to death of trees, it's so funny. I even have pictures that I have to post where I held them up to touoch the trees and they all but went upside down to get away from it. My Neleno the GW Macaw asked (What is it)? too funny. Best of luck. Joe

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
With ANY bird, a gust a wind will intrigue them to take off, that's natural instinct!!!! Your very fortunate to have her back and you guys are lucky to have one another. My Willie tried to take off in a gust of wind once but I had him by his feet because I know better. He's flew 3 times in the past 8 years. All 3 times he flew towards me as he wants to sit beside me. Now days, he goes to the dogs....

OP
D

dollybird

Jun 28, 2012
Hi mikey. Yes my luck obviously outweighed my stupidity and boy was I stupid!! Thanks to everyone who comented. Hope my story can reunite others when there in distress. Dolly bird had her avian vet check up today and all seems fine...well all apart from my wallet that is...;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts