Mac's old owner visiting.....................

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
The lady who allowed me to adopt Mac is coming over next week with her sister to visit with Mac. This will be the first time that either one has seen the other in about 5 months. I'm hoping everything goes OK, especially since Mac is hormonal right now and doing a little molting to boot. I gave her a little heads up on this, but I think it will be fine.

My wife on the other hand isn't quite sure of this visit. She is hoping that it doesn't affect Mac in an adverse way. I think it will be great and turn out wonderful for both of them. I don't think Mac will really care one way or the other. But for the previous owner, it's her way of getting some closer.

Anyone else have a view point on this subject?

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
i dont think she should visit because if ur parrot is attached to her and she comes he will remember her and probably when she leaves she will probably scream for her and such and another problem will start

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Personally, I don't see any harm in it. I'm sure Mac is happy in his/her new home with you. Let me know how it turns out.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Mac seems happy where he is. I think he'll have a nice time seeing the old owner and like you said, she'll get some closure on how Mac is doing etc. I think the worst thing that could really happen is Mac really not wanting to spend any time with her whatsoever. That'd be pretty tough to deal with if that was my old bird.

Just pretend she's another visitor, Mac loves you now. :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I am sending Pete's former owner email updates and pics. But, I'm kind of hoping he won't ever come visit. He was Pete's owner for 28 years and I'm sure it was a confusing and frightening time for Pete to leave and come to my home. He started making friends with me on day 2 and is pretty well settled in now. But, I think it would be hard for Pete emotionally to see him. It would probably be very confusing for him, too.

I hope it all goes well for all of you.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
I've been doing the same thing. I would send the previous owner pictures of Mac and updates on him every couple of weeks. Fortunately they only had Mac for 3 years before her husband passed away. They are coming by Thursday so we'll see how it goes. I think it will be fine. I'll report back on how the visit goes.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
Remington's previous owner came to visit 8 months after we brought him home( they have relatives that live 5 minutes from me)~ I had also been sending pictures, especially since this was his only home for 15 years, but it was apparent that he remembered her, he started dancing and swaying back and forth as soon as he heard her voice, it was actually pretty cool and she was happy to see that he hadn't forgotten her. There was no screaming after she left~ she actually asked Remington for a kiss and he gave her one~ not something I ever plan to do!

252707_1915791546118_1581845277_1868676_4462703_s.jpg

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I haven't done this with a bird, but I've noticed other animals seem to be happy to see old friends. My mom and I were estranged for a few years, but when we made up I went to see her, and my dog (who lives with her) was sooooo happy to see me! It was nice.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
UPDATE:

Well Mac's previous owner and her sister showed up for a visit with Mac this afternoon. They were here for about 3 hours. Judy (previous owner) was soooo happy to see Mac. At first, Mac was a little standoffish. But once he remembered her voice, he was thrilled I thik to see her as well. She kept giving Mac kisses and telling him how much she loved him. To the point that I think my wife was getting the idea that she might want Mac back hahahahahahaha.

Judy was thrilled that Mac's feathers have started coming back and he actually has tail feathers that he hasn't chewed off. Judy reassured my wife that she wasn't wanting Mac back because she could tell how happy he was here and that was the most important part, no matter how much she missed him or loved him. She only wants whats best for Mac and she had found it with us.

Once they left, Mac went right back to himself and his normal routine. So it went as I expected it would "GREAT". She will be coming back over for another visit around the first week of Feb since this visit went so well.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Thats really good to hear it went well :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm glad it went well, and it's reassuring, too. I once sold a yearling horse to a friend of mine and they never bonded. When I would show up, I just had to yell out the back door, "How's my baby boy?" and he would gallop up and whinny. She was sad because she said he was never that way with her and her family. Eventually she sold him and didn't even tell me first. I would have at least liked to have the chance to buy him back. But, he went to a teenage girl who lavished him with attention and last I knew it was working out better for the horse. But, I think any time I came over and my friend saw the reaction I got from the horse, it upset her.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I'm so happy to hear the visit went well... but 3 hours!!!! Don't these people have lives to live???

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Weeeellllllll, the visit portion went great. But, afterwards Mac kept repeating "Shelby" the name of the previous owners Cockatiel. Two days later and he's still repeating "Shelby" quite a few times throughout the day.

Mac did this for several weeks after we had brought him home. Mac and Shelby kind of grew up together you might say. It seems that Mac and Shelby were closer than the previous owner led me to believe. She said Mac would chase Shelby around. But it looks like they may have been playing.

Needless to say this is quite disheartening to hear since I thought Mac had kind of moved on and hasn't been calling for Shelby now for the past couple of months. It seems that visiting with his previous owner has dredged up some memories for him.
When he calls for Shelby, he does it in a female voice and sounds like the previous owner.:(

Mac previous owners sister told me that her sister had to make sure she wore Mac's favorite shirt when she came which had numerous buttons on it because he always liked to pull them off to make sure he remembered her.

Now for the last two days I have been listening to Mac call for "Shelby" and it just rips my heart out. I would say that Mac definately remebered her for sure. So I now I'm on the fence about this visit being a good thing. It might have eased the previous owners conscience, but it has kind of made several steps backward from Mac's progress.

She was planning to possibly come for another visit the first weekend in February. But I'm having second thoughts on this.

Most Reactions

Latest posts