magic sponge

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So, this is kind of a weird question but, I've never so much as touched a magic sponge. Until now I just thought they were some fancy super absorbent sponge but the newest "king of random" video describes them as being super abrasive and that's why they're effective. So, as anyone who feeds their bird chop knows, it is exceedingly difficult to get dried chop off the cage (and walls) so I was wondering if maybe it would be a good idea to use a magic sponge? My one concern is since they're super abrasive does it run the risk of scrapping off the powder coating on the cage? I don't want to risk rubbing off the paint and rust developing as I'm not in a position where I could reasonably replace the cage or have it fixed.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You talking about a magic eraser?
It might...although they tend to be pretty gentle...never used one on a cage before.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
You talking about a magic eraser?
It might...although they tend to be pretty gentle...never used one on a cage before.

Yes, magic eraser, sorry. They joked(?) about it being super abrasive, something along the lines of "can take crayon off the walls but if you're not careful it might take the paint off too. And maybe the plaster" so I was really not sure. Again, never so much as touched one.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I looked up and read all about them before I ever used my first one. They are called magic Eraser beause they do actually work just like erasers. They are actually Non-abrasive. Just like an eraser with pencil, they pull up the top layer, rather than scraping it down. So it doesn't scratch things. I have cleaned kitchen grime from painted walls and it removes Less paint than Formula 409 (which don't worry I have not used 409 in years!) or Less paint than other kitchen cleaners, while removing the grime more thoroughly.

But. What these sponges are, is Foam of MELAMINE.!!! The sponge will crumble up and you get little bits -- like eraser bits. I Personally would Not use it on a cage for that reason, for fear that I might miss one of those "magic eraser" (aka Melamine foam!) bits. But the walls, the floors - yes.

IF IF you were to use it on the cage itself, then make sure afterward to go back over the cage with a damp cloth, microfiber or such, something to pick up any minuscule bits from the melamine sponge-eraser.

Last edited:

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I dont think the Magic Eraser will help for dried chop or fruit. The dried food is simply too hard and big for the eraser to be effective.

The thing that will work better, be safe for your bird and for the finish on the cage is a Plastic scrubber for dishes For big chunks use a plastic pan scraper and lots of water or your favorite cleaning solvent.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
They are definitly "magic" on things like crazyon etc--- so they are erasing or removing a little bit off the top (I do love them)...
BUT, dried fruit will likely just crumble your eraser and leave foam bits all over. They are better for things like kool-aid or turmeric stains on counters, stains in the sink, permanent maker on things etc.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
They work wonders for dried food on the wall. I’ve used them many times, won’t be without them as an emergency back up.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I use magic erasers around the house on occasion, but I’m not sure what exactly is in them and therefore would not use them on Kiwis stuff. I hung a large decorative shower curtain that has a rainforest scene printed on it (one of those custom photo ones you can get online) behind his cage that is easy to wash to keep the wall clean. I have always kept some kind of easy to clean wall protector behind his cage, though I find the shower curtain the most attractive option I’ve found to date.

For dried on poop, food etc... on his cage, tree, perches etc... I use a plastic paint scraper (never used on paint, bought only for bird cleaning) to get the big chunks off then spray with vinegar water, let soak a few minutes and have yet to find anything that he produces that won’t come off with that.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We spritz Salty wet food area,let to soak a bit and use a regular heavvy bottle brush under running water. Comes clean like new

Most Reactions