Major Progress With Kiwi!

prettykiwi

Mar 3, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Kiwi, Green Cheeked Conure.
I guess Kiwi didn't dislike me as much as I had thought... he must have just been mad at me or something. I took over his care a couple of weeks ago and the past few days have been feeding him lots of good treats and talking with him every chance I get. Well tonight my husband got him out and about when I was walking to the kitchen to go make dinner he flew to me and landed on my shoulder! He hung out with me and even cuddled for about 20 minutes. Hopefully this lasts!

On a side note, can conures learn colors?

Attachments

• IMAG4327.jpg
    IMAG4327.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMAG4326.jpg
    IMAG4326.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMAG4325.jpg
    IMAG4325.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
Aw what a cutie!
My bird got mad at my husband for a few days because he stuffed her in a basket to take her to the vet 😂 but she forgot about it after a while and now she is happily indifferent to him

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Beautiful! Both of you, ANNND the love shining in both your eyes!
Parrots can see all the colors we see, PLUSSSSS... ummm... ultra violet? Maybe more?

OP
prettykiwi

prettykiwi

Mar 3, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
On a funny note, I read him green eggs and ham today during our bonding time and he was very attentive the whole time and started yelling at me when it was done �� I guess I'll have to read it to him again sometime. I'm also trying to teach him how to make a kissing noise but he didn't seem too interested today.

OP
prettykiwi

prettykiwi

Mar 3, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Beautiful! Both of you, ANNND the love shining in both your eyes!
Parrots can see all the colors we see, PLUSSSSS... ummm... ultra violet? Maybe more?

Haha thanks! I do love Kiwi. He really is a sweetheart when he wants to be. Anyways, I know they can see the colors but can they learn to identify which color is which? I know the bigger parrots like Amazon's and greys can but I'm not sure about conures. I want to teach him colors just to give him more mental stimulation sometime down the line.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
I believe they can learn them, perhaps not verbalize it. But I believe the cognitive ability is there.

CherylCali

OP
prettykiwi

prettykiwi

Mar 3, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
I believe they can learn them, perhaps not verbalize it. But I believe the cognitive ability is there.

CherylCali

Oh good! That's what I was wanting to teach him, like touching a certain color ring when asked.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The parrot toy, with colored rings to be put onto color coded posts is a great way to teach colors. Salty loves doing this. He gets it right about 85% of the time. He just graduated to sorting a pile of multiple rings onto their respective posts. Infant and 1yr old human baby toys are also good for this, cheaper too, but most are too big for our little parrots to hold or handle. But they are out there. Visit your local Babies-R-Us, see what they got.

OP
prettykiwi

prettykiwi

Mar 3, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
The parrot toy, with colored rings to be put onto color coded posts is a great way to teach colors. Salty loves doing this. He gets it right about 85% of the time. He just graduated to sorting a pile of multiple rings onto their respective posts. Infant and 1yr old human baby toys are also good for this, cheaper too, but most are too big for our little parrots to hold or handle. But they are out there. Visit your local Babies-R-Us, see what they got.

Thanks Al, that's a great idea! I actually have a one year old son so I'll look through his toys to see what we have.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Glad to hear there's been so much improvement in your relationship with Kiwi! Those pics definitely say it all!

OP
prettykiwi

prettykiwi

Mar 3, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Just wanted to update on Kiwi! Tonight he was being a meanie butt to my husband, David, and wouldn't step up for him. This is pretty unusual. He had to get Kiwi out with a wooden perch. Once he was out he was fine, until bedtime that is. He didn't want to go to sleep. He will now perch on my shoulder and let give him head scratches, and I can get him to step up from my shoulder to my hand. I still can't get him out of his cage though.

Attachments

• IMAG4328.jpg
    IMAG4328.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMAG4329.jpg
    IMAG4329.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMAG4333.jpg
    IMAG4333.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 173
OP
prettykiwi

prettykiwi

Mar 3, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
I do want to say that feeding kiwi chop has done wonders for his feathers! They are so vibrant now!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Kiwi couldn't get much closer to you now,could he??? :D

And I just love your $0.50 eyes in the 2nd photo lol...they couldn't get much BIGGER! ;)
Keep up the good work Kiwi...you are making mommy very happy!!

Jim

OP
prettykiwi

prettykiwi

Mar 3, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Lol thanks Jim! I am very excited that I am finally able to cuddle with him again. :D

janquito

Aug 10, 2016
Wisconsin
Parrots
Two green cheek conures, one sun conure, and two quakers.
That's great! Now I have to get my husband into getting our gcc & sun to come to him without biting. I get bit quite a bit but I'm learning Conor's signs.
I love all of the pictures, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts