Male or Female?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A lutino pearl will lose his pearls if male. If female, the pearls will stay.

I thought the pied was a younger bird. Female cockatiels have bars on their rump and tail feathers where-as males will lose them. The pied hen has the bars on the rumps that I can see from the photo, but the tail feathers, at least from what I can see, are clear.

If he's wanting to sell you an unweaned chick, I would recommend going elsewhere to purchase a cockatiel.

OP
S

Sunny_the_tiel

Jan 14, 2013
Savannah ga
Parrots
Aeros- Grey pied cockatiel
Sunny- lutino cockatiel
Jewel- parakeet
Gem- parakeet
Your*
And around what age do the pearls in the males disappear?

Parro

Dec 21, 2012
Asia, Jordan, Amman
Parrots
Two Cockatiels, A Timneh African Grey
You can tell from the face, the more yellow it was, the more possibility it's a male, the more darker it was, it's more possibility that it's a female.:yellow1:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Typically between 4-12 months of age, and the majority of them should be gone by 24 months in age. They usually start losing them at their first molt.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
You can tell from the face, the more yellow it was, the more possibility it's a male, the more darker it was, it's more possibility that it's a female.:yellow1:

This doesn't work with pieds, lutinos, albinos and a few other mutations. I have two female pieds with clear faces. Both have laid eggs. Both also show other female colorations, i.e. bars on tail feathers/rump feathers and spots in flight feathers.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.

This doesn't work with pieds, lutinos, albinos and a few other mutations. I have two female pieds with clear faces. Both have laid eggs. Both also show other female colorations, i.e. bars on tail feathers/rump feathers and spots in flight feathers.

I said thr samething to another person. I dunno why they think that way?

OP
S

Sunny_the_tiel

Jan 14, 2013
Savannah ga
Parrots
Sunny- lutino cockatiel
Jewel- parakeet
Gem- parakeet
If someone could help me identify my Lutinos gender I'd appreciate it! I posted some pics in my last post.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Sorry for the late response.

Sunny appears to be a cinnamon pearl lutino (assuming that Sunny does indeed have red eyes, but then a a cinnamon pearl clear pied would not look like Sunny), so I'm going to say that Sunny is *probably* female.

I say probably female, because all three mutations are sex-linked. It's twice as easy to get a cinnamon pearl lutino hen than it is to get a male. To get a hen, only the father needs to carry those three mutations (visually or split). To get a male, both parents must carry the mutations.

OP
S

Sunny_the_tiel

Jan 14, 2013
Savannah ga
Parrots
Sunny- lutino cockatiel
Jewel- parakeet
Gem- parakeet
Awesome, thank you. All I know about the parents is that the male was a White faced grey and the female was a regular grey. Not sure of any other mutations. I'm going tomorrow to pick up my new tiel. Unsure of the sex since it is still a baby.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Then Sunny is female! There is no way that you could get a cinnamon pearl lutino male from a normal grey hen! Or any hen that doesn't carry those three mutations!

:40: Gratz on a pretty little girl! :bunny7:

Most Reactions