Is this normal or weird?

brianbh1378

Jan 13, 2013
CA
Parrots
Budgie or Parakeet
So as usual, i got home from school and i started to talk to my budgie Squirtle and pet him. But than all of a sudden today, he pushed my finger with his head, i thought he did not like it and decided to pull out my hand. I looked at him and he scratched his head against one of the perch. SO i apprached him with my finger again, he did the same thing where he pushed my finger with his head looking down. So i decided to scratch is head and he loved it! I sat there and scratched for around 10 mins and i was wondering if he is acting werid or not. THanks for readgin!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Nope, very normal.
My amazon marches right over to my hand, drops his head and leans in.
They want scritches!!

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
He just wanted to use your finger as a scratching post lol. Next time when he does it either scratch it for him or keep your finger still and let him use it

OP
B

brianbh1378

Jan 13, 2013
CA
Parrots
Budgie or Parakeet
Oh okay! Does it mean Squirtle is starting to trust me more? I hhave only had him for a month

OP
B

brianbh1378

Jan 13, 2013
CA
Parrots
Budgie or Parakeet
Hopfully lol! He still tried to peak me sometimes but i tell him to stop

ziggybird

Jan 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Tukki),
Meyer's Parrot (Brooklyn),
Double Yellow Headed Amazon (Ziggy),
Blue and Gold Macaw (Max)
Sounds like he is trusting you more! That behavior is normal :) He just wants scratches and love :) That's great for only having him a month!

Parro

Dec 21, 2012
Asia, Jordan, Amman
Parrots
Two Cockatiels, A Timneh African Grey
That's good, that's a clue that your bird loves you and when he puts his head down near your finger it means that he wants a scratch :)

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
Totally normal. Practically all birds love neck massages! They will even give themselves neck massages. I'm so happy that you and Squirtle are becoming good buddies! :D

SweetBird

Feb 13, 2013
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny and Newman - Cockatiels
Agreed- its very normal! Your bird trusts you and wants a head scratch! My tiels chase my fingers around with thir heads down to (not so subtly) tell me they want a scratch. Wonderful progress for only having him a month, some birds take a long time to build up that kind of trust.

Most Reactions

Latest posts