Male YNA Biting One Specific Person - Need Help Breaking This Habit!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Panama said:
SailBoat said:
People look very different from the Floor. There appears and likely is a total disconnect between our Feet and our Heads. Remember that Parrots connect with our Head and to be more specific, our Face! Also, when you are at the same level as the Amazon, especially an Amazon that already has a behavior issue when on the floor. You are in the Amazon's space.

At present, work with your Amazon in all the places that you listed. Also consider a Bed. Always have a distraction towel available to set between you and your Amazon if he begins to loose control. Think of it as the red distraction tool a Bull Fighter would use. The point is to have it act separate from you, but will come and stand between you and your Amazon when problems occur or been to occur.

FYI: Do Not Use a Red Towel!

I never thought of it from that aspect, that makes a lot of sense thank you. I have used the towel trick before, it does help a lot. If I try to work with him on a table or even the bed, is it better to stand or sit next to the table? I don't want to get to close to his face in fear of damage!! But I also don't want to tower over him and cause him fear..??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is one of the real problems of not having a perch that allows you to not tower over him.

Maybe you sitting or bending slightly? Look at it from this view point: You always need to be able to clearly see your Amazon and when needed, move quickly! So, at the risk of looking a bit odd. Try a dry run training session (without your Amazon), trying different positions that allows you to see and react.

My Amazon is calling, later!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Panama

Panama

Dec 21, 2016
Southeastern United States
Parrots
36 Year Old Male - Yellow Naped Amazon named Panama
People look very different from the Floor. There appears and likely is a total disconnect between our Feet and our Heads. Remember that Parrots connect with our Head and to be more specific, our Face! Also, when you are at the same level as the Amazon, especially an Amazon that already has a behavior issue when on the floor. You are in the Amazon's space.

At present, work with your Amazon in all the places that you listed. Also consider a Bed. Always have a distraction towel available to set between you and your Amazon if he begins to loose control. Think of it as the red distraction tool a Bull Fighter would use. The point is to have it act separate from you, but will come and stand between you and your Amazon when problems occur or been to occur.

FYI: Do Not Use a Red Towel!

Panama said:
I never thought of it from that aspect, that makes a lot of sense thank you. I have used the towel trick before, it does help a lot. If I try to work with him on a table or even the bed, is it better to stand or sit next to the table? I don't want to get to close to his face in fear of damage!! But I also don't want to tower over him and cause him fear..??

SailBoat said:
That is one of the real problems of not having a perch that allows you to not tower over him.

Maybe you sitting or bending slightly? Look at it from this view point: You always need to be able to clearly see your Amazon and when needed, move quickly! So, at the risk of looking a bit odd. Try a dry run training session (without your Amazon), trying different positions that allows you to see and react.

My Amazon is calling, later!

Thank you for all the advice! I have a couple more questions if you don't mind! Any suggestions on how to get him from his cage to the table? That's normally why I would let him on the floor, because I cannot hold him without getting attacked. I want to try and work with him while my husband is at work, I thought if he was gone, it might help... you know, out of sight out of mind. That way he's not biting me to try and get to his chosen one! And also, do you have any recommendations for a training perch to buy? Or could I build one with PVC? Thank you again! It is greatly appreciated!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Panama said:
Thank you for all the advice! I have a couple more questions if you don't mind! Any suggestions on how to get him from his cage to the table? That's normally why I would let him on the floor, because I cannot hold him without getting attacked. I want to try and work with him while my husband is at work, I thought if he was gone, it might help... you know, out of sight out of mind. That way he's not biting me to try and get to his chosen one! And also, do you have any recommendations for a training perch to buy? Or could I build one with PVC? Thank you again! It is greatly appreciated!

And, this is one of the points where talking someone thru this process begins breaking down. The combination of getting a Parrot to Step-Up 'inside' a cage and then bring the Amazon out of the cage all without getting bitten is an achievement.

If your Husband can to this, have him do a series of 'Step-Ups' and then bringing the Amazon out of the Cage. Then reversing this process, finishing with a 'Step-Down. From a distance, watch for the interactions between the two and be very observant of 'any' body language of your Amazon.

Playing to honestly here: My first Amazon took me a year to get her to 'Step-Up' and come out of the cage on my hand. That day, I was rubbing my very painful fingers from her most recent heavy bites. While sitting in front of her cage (it was sitting on a table), she came out and slowly walked over to my hand and starting rubbing her head on my hand. Too this day, I can not tell you what or why. My only guess is that she choose to accept me and that's the best I've got.

Making a Perch:

DYI with PVC pipe and joints is the best for its flexibility in converting it into other applications in the future. Do not use Glue to Hold the pipe and joints together, use stainless steel screws (not nut and bolts). Visit a Local Hardware Store (cause they have staff!), tell them what you want to do (be prepared for a step back and then watch for the light bulb to turn-on! Target an older guy or gal) They will lead you to the correct size and type of screws once they get what you want to do. FYI: Take a picture from an internet site!!! Remember that the Screws will allow you to take it apart and reconstruct it, so plan out their locations (sides are better than top or bottom locations). The base is the most important, since it will provide stability, which will develop a quicker level of comfort for your Amazon being on it.

The neat part of PVC is that you can do test fits. :D

Size: 50 mm (2") min up to 75 mm (3") OD range! Note: you can mix and match different size pipes and joints by using 'transition' pieces. This is where getting that older sales person to help you pays off! Example of using transitional pieces: Larger base, mid size risers and smaller for holding the 'Nature Wood Branch Perch." A Nature Wood Branch Perch can be fitted into a "Tee" style joint by cutting its top off and setting the Branch into it and screwing the Branch and Tee together!

Buy the Natural Wood Branch Perch first, and take it with you!!! Target Diameter for an Amazon is 50 to 65 mm (2 to 2.5").

Tools: Plastic cutting Saw, Drill, Drill bit set, Screw Driver, Sandpaper and a tape ruler. Pad of Paper and pen for drawing out your ideas. There are some really neat Battery Powered hand tools today that are available in sets: Like a Saw, Drill and something else. Target the largest Volt number, Like 40 Volt Battery. Buy getting a set, the batteries are interchangeable. Big Box Stores will likely get you a lower price, but not always, Shop this type of product! Telling Hubby that he gets to upgrade the battery powered Tools will likely get you a 'Buy In' to this project!

NOTE: There is nothing in this project that near anyone cannot do!
NOTE: The Battery Powered Drills easily convert to a powered screw driver - if you have never used this combo, have the Hardware sales person show you!!!

FYI: Copy this Post and Take it with you!!!

Have fun with this!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I just want to encourage you to keep going. My husbands Amazon was fully bonded to him and growled/lunged at me. Luckily I am the cook. He was totally food-driven. I would give him tidbits while cooking and small treats during the day. I eventually got him to step up onto a wooden stick, and I could then carry him where he wanted to go. I kept moving my hand closer to his feet, and eventually he stepped up onto my finger. I waited until he BEGGED ... Held up his foot as high as he could, leaned forward, had a begging look in his eye with no trace of homicide. It took a long time. More than a year before we had an uneasy truce, and then at some point I was accepted. Never could pet him, but could carry him around and he'd sit on my arm in the evenings if his human was gone, and if I was gone for a week or so he was happy to see me back. So have hope...don't give up...just woo him and pander shamelessly to his greed for tasty treats, and one day you too may be tolerated by an Amazon.

And being tolerated by a green bundle of live wires with orange fireballs for eyes is not half bad.

OP
Panama

Panama

Dec 21, 2016
Parrots
I just want to encourage you to keep going. My husbands Amazon was fully bonded to him and growled/lunged at me. Luckily I am the cook. He was totally food-driven. I would give him tidbits while cooking and small treats during the day. I eventually got him to step up onto a wooden stick, and I could then carry him where he wanted to go. I kept moving my hand closer to his feet, and eventually he stepped up onto my finger. I waited until he BEGGED ... Held up his foot as high as he could, leaned forward, had a begging look in his eye with no trace of homicide. It took a long time. More than a year before we had an uneasy truce, and then at some point I was accepted. Never could pet him, but could carry him around and he'd sit on my arm in the evenings if his human was gone, and if I was gone for a week or so he was happy to see me back. So have hope...don't give up...just woo him and pander shamelessly to his greed for tasty treats, and one day you too may be tolerated by an Amazon.

And being tolerated by a green bundle of live wires with orange fireballs for eyes is not half bad.

Thank you! The worst part of all of this is, the amazon came to the marriage with me! LOL! It was my side of the friend tree that we inherited him from. The amazon and I lived together for about 2 months before my husband moved in. It was all over at that point. They bonded, became buds, and I was thrown to the curb! I do all the cleaning and feeding. We took Sailboats advice, and my husband no longer even gives him treats. EVERYTHING comes from me. He loves the attention through the cage, and I can pet him and love all over him through the cage. I can even do this on occasion when he is out of his cage, either on top of it, or he likes to perch on the back of our bar stools. I can pet him then, I just have to constantly bob and weave, because he can change his mind quicker than the wind blows! I am not going to give up on him though. I like the idea of a perch. I have a wooden dowel that is about 2.5 inches think actually, I may attempt to see how he responds to stepping up onto that. I have this vision of him scurrying down that dowel just as fast as he can at my hand though! LOL.

OP
Panama

Panama

Dec 21, 2016
Parrots
And, this is one of the points where talking someone thru this process begins breaking down. The combination of getting a Parrot to Step-Up 'inside' a cage and then bring the Amazon out of the cage all without getting bitten is an achievement.

If your Husband can to this, have him do a series of 'Step-Ups' and then bringing the Amazon out of the Cage. Then reversing this process, finishing with a 'Step-Down. From a distance, watch for the interactions between the two and be very observant of 'any' body language of your Amazon.

Playing to honestly here: My first Amazon took me a year to get her to 'Step-Up' and come out of the cage on my hand. That day, I was rubbing my very painful fingers from her most recent heavy bites. While sitting in front of her cage (it was sitting on a table), she came out and slowly walked over to my hand and starting rubbing her head on my hand. Too this day, I can not tell you what or why. My only guess is that she choose to accept me and that's the best I've got.

Making a Perch:

DYI with PVC pipe and joints is the best for its flexibility in converting it into other applications in the future. Do not use Glue to Hold the pipe and joints together, use stainless steel screws (not nut and bolts). Visit a Local Hardware Store (cause they have staff!), tell them what you want to do (be prepared for a step back and then watch for the light bulb to turn-on! Target an older guy or gal) They will lead you to the correct size and type of screws once they get what you want to do. FYI: Take a picture from an internet site!!! Remember that the Screws will allow you to take it apart and reconstruct it, so plan out their locations (sides are better than top or bottom locations). The base is the most important, since it will provide stability, which will develop a quicker level of comfort for your Amazon being on it.

The neat part of PVC is that you can do test fits. :D

Size: 50 mm (2") min up to 75 mm (3") OD range! Note: you can mix and match different size pipes and joints by using 'transition' pieces. This is where getting that older sales person to help you pays off! Example of using transitional pieces: Larger base, mid size risers and smaller for holding the 'Nature Wood Branch Perch." A Nature Wood Branch Perch can be fitted into a "Tee" style joint by cutting its top off and setting the Branch into it and screwing the Branch and Tee together!

Buy the Natural Wood Branch Perch first, and take it with you!!! Target Diameter for an Amazon is 50 to 65 mm (2 to 2.5").

Tools: Plastic cutting Saw, Drill, Drill bit set, Screw Driver, Sandpaper and a tape ruler. Pad of Paper and pen for drawing out your ideas. There are some really neat Battery Powered hand tools today that are available in sets: Like a Saw, Drill and something else. Target the largest Volt number, Like 40 Volt Battery. Buy getting a set, the batteries are interchangeable. Big Box Stores will likely get you a lower price, but not always, Shop this type of product! Telling Hubby that he gets to upgrade the battery powered Tools will likely get you a 'Buy In' to this project!

NOTE: There is nothing in this project that near anyone cannot do!
NOTE: The Battery Powered Drills easily convert to a powered screw driver - if you have never used this combo, have the Hardware sales person show you!!!

FYI: Copy this Post and Take it with you!!!

Have fun with this![/QUOTE]

Thank you for the awesome details on the perch. We have all the tools you mentioned, and we have a local shop I can go to and see about some screws and PVC pipe. You mentioned putting a perch into it - what about using some sort of tape (I have heard reference to it before but cannot recall what it is called.) and allowing Panama to perch on the actual PVC piping? Him and my husband have the whole stepping up thing and getting out of the cage down just fine, he practically jumps into my husbands arms each time he goes to get him out of the cage. I will start watching a little closer to what Panama is doing when he gets in and out of the cage.

I can have my husband get him out and bring him over to the table for me. Would you recommend that my husband be in a different room than me and Panama, or would it be better to have his human in the room so he is more comfortable?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
"Thank you for the awesome details on the perch. We have all the tools you mentioned, and we have a local shop I can go to and see about some screws and PVC pipe. You mentioned putting a perch into it - what about using some sort of tape (I have heard reference to it before but cannot recall what it is called.) and allowing Panama to perch on the actual PVC piping? Him and my husband have the whole stepping up thing and getting out of the cage down just fine, he practically jumps into my husbands arms each time he goes to get him out of the cage. I will start watching a little closer to what Panama is doing when he gets in and out of the cage.

I can have my husband get him out and bring him over to the table for me. Would you recommend that my husband be in a different room than me and Panama, or would it be better to have his human in the room so he is more comfortable?[/QUOTE]"

The product (tape) that you are referring to is call Vet Rap and comes in a cross-section of colors and can be purchased (I am told on Amazon.com). The goal of moving Adult Parrots on to Natural Wood Branch Perches is to assure the health of the base of their foot, the pads. The Natural Variation of a Branch allows for minor changes to the amount of weight each pad carries. This can not be duplicated by Wood Dowel, Metal or Plastic Pipe. Vet Rap can be used to 'create' a better surface, but require on-going washing /replacement, which add to maintenance time and still do not provide the natural variation required to keep your Parrots Foot Pads healthy.

Now, any Parrot owner should have 'On-Hand' at least one or more rolls of Vet Rap for any number of medical emergency needs, keep in their Parrot Medical Emergency Care Carrier /Bin.

This time of year is near perfect for selecting health hard wood branchs in North America. I recommend cutting from a standing healthy tree and not picking branchs off the ground, but that's just me. Remove the Bark and lightly sand the surface to remove any remaining Bark. Some people will leave the Bark on the branch, but once again, that's just me (Greatly reduces bring insects into your home).

Whether your Amazon's buddy is in the room or not is something that you are going to have to trial and see what works with your Amazon.

Reference: Getting to the Foot of the Problem, found in the I Love Amazons - ... Thread in the Amazon Forum

Last edited:

Most Reactions