Mango our new rescue

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Lucy (B&G Macaw), Phoenix (Camilla Macaw), Gizmo (Goffin Cockatoo),
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
We took in Mango from a local rescue. She is an 8 year old Goffin as you can tell she is a bad plucker. The poor girl doesn't even have wing feathers. My wife took her outside the other day, and she had a blast and was dancing and bouncing. She would come back to get reassurance from her mom then turn around and go play in the grass more. She is your best friend if you sing to her. She does get scared when I hold her though because I am taller then my wife, and she has no wing feathers to help her glide to the floor. Though she does now have a couple pin feathers on her back :D
1093119_755779.jpg

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
We took in Mango from a local rescue. She is an 8 year old Goffin as you can tell she is a bad plucker. The poor girl doesn't even have wing feathers. My wife took her outside the other day, and she had a blast and was dancing and bouncing. She would come back to get reassurance from her mom then turn around and go play in the grass more. She is your best friend if you sing to her. She does get scared when I hold her though because I am taller then my wife, and she has no wing feathers to help her glide to the floor. Though she does now have a couple pin feathers on her back :D

Thank You SO MUCH for saving this poor baby, I bet you give her the love she needs, which will restore her confidence, and stop her from plucking!!

Keep us posted !!

Joe

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Mango is really cute.:)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awww, what a sweetie Mango is! I am so happy you took her in and can give her the love she so richly deserves:)

OP
FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
We have another plucker Goffin we took in, but sadly we have been unable to get her to stop, and she is plucking worse which is breaking my heart but she is happy here with us so that's what matter. Mango we do have hope for because she actually twists her feathers off so she still has the folicals, and since she has come to live with us we don't see her do it that often.

She does do some cool tricks she'll throw food over her shoulder, and catch it. She will also lean sideways, drop a piece of food and let it roll down to her beak and she'll hold it.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
We have another plucker Goffin we took in, but sadly we have been unable to get her to stop, and she is plucking worse which is breaking my heart but she is happy here with us so that's what matter. Mango we do have hope for because she actually twists her feathers off so she still has the folicals, and since she has come to live with us we don't see her do it that often.

She does do some cool tricks she'll throw food over her shoulder, and catch it. She will also lean sideways, drop a piece of food and let it roll down to her beak and she'll hold it.

She sounds so sweet!

OP
FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
Mango has a long wing feather on each wing almost breaking through the casing! We are hoping she lets them totally come in, and doesn't twist them off. She is getting more vocal, and will run up for me to give her kisses if I sing to her. Which if you sing to her she is your best friend, and she loves to dance. She loves snuggling up on my wife. When you carry her you have to snuggle her up to your chest because if she gets scared she jumps, but she will want my wife to do it all the time. That is awesome because she is a scared bird.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
She's a cutie. Thank you for giving her a good home.

OP
FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
Well we have great news. Mango is almost fully feathered!!!! She even has flight feathers. Her feathers look ruff, but we do not know how long it has been since she has had feathers, and these are the first ones she has had in awhile. One of her favorite things to do now is stick her wing, and leg over her head so the flight feathers go one either side of her head. Then she will rub the feathers on her head, and neck. We figure it must feel good to her since she hasn't head feathers in so long.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That is wonderful news! She must be so happy with you to be letting her feathers grow out so quickly. Congrats!

OP
FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
With her it was shockingly easy. We put her in a bigger cage because the people kept her in an 18"x18" cage, and gave her attention when she was comfortable with it. She stopped plucking, and chewing off her feathers shortly after that. She is still skittish, but has gotten better with that also.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm thrilled Mango is doing so well with you. What a little sweetheart, so glad you were able to change her life for the better.

Most Reactions