Marigold's Got A Tumour

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
:(

So Marigold's got a large tumour and I can't do anything.

She's happy enough, not in pain I don't think.

I'm going to ask the wildlife rehabber if she'll have a look at her, but I'm fairly convinced she'll just say it's incurable and nothing can be done.

SAM_1476.jpg

OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Parrots
Yes, apparently it's really common in budgies :(
But it's usually at 4-5 years and she's only 3
And they grow really quickly
Might have to get her put down if she's in pain

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
I actually think tumors are quite common in all australian parrots :/
Good luck....I hope shes okay :(

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I'm so sorry. I wish her the best! Love, kisses, and an extra treat to her!

YNAMomma

Sep 18, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Ianto-10yr old M. YN-Amazon,
Toshiko - 10yr old F. YN-Amazon (Mated pair)
Oh no im so sorry i hope she gets better. It makes me just wanna hug her! She is so beautiful.

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Keats (budgie) born Feb. 18, 2011, and Raphael (budgie) adopted July 3, 2011. Finn, a Brown-Head Poicephalus, born January 4, 2010, has also joined the family!
So sorry to hear this! Sending hugs to you and to Marigold :)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Oh no! Maybe you could try to feed her lots of extra antioxidants to help her body fight it off.

We had a budgie with some sort of tumor that messed with her hormones.. Her nose was pink at first, then it turned blue, then it turned purple, and one day she layed an egg...

critterman

Jan 1, 2011
Maryland
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure.
So sorry to hear about Marigold. Hugs to both you and her. Hope all will work out for the best. Critterman

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Don't count her out yet,I have a 40 yr old amazon with a tumor,vet says it's nothing harmful and she is in no danger.If it get's to be a problem they can remove it but for now she's in no pain and takes no notice of it. See what the vet says.

coral1

Sep 27, 2011
ohio
Parrots
Blue headed pionus parror
im so sorry i hope things work out for the best! let us know when you talk to the wildlife person!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Oh Ratzy, so sorry to hear about Marigold
You two have been through so much, and always come through
I know you have and will do all you can to save her life
Praying for a miracle
Be strong, we are all here for you

Kawaii

Sep 14, 2011
Hawaii
Parrots
So damn cute & learning fast!!
I'm so sorry, and I hope they don't tell you it's uncurable… or inoperable… though this would seem to be a difficult procedure. I'm so sorry, and I hope Marigold continues to stay strong and happy.

I'm glad in a sense to see that you are such a compassionate owner. I've known a number of people who simply watch as their birds nibble their toes away, break their legs or wings, and become chronic egg layers in tiny cages. However, your birds always look so happy and vigorous, even when there in poorer health!

Congrats on being a great owner!

OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Parrots
Thank you everyone!!!

Marigold is still alive and kicking, and quite happy for the moment.
I don't know if it's wishful thinking, but looking back on the photos I took of her when I first noticed it, it seems to be reduced in size.
In fact, I'm fairly convinced it's much smaller, so it could be just a fatty tumour, not something cancerous.
:D
A fatty tumour would make sense as she has had problems with weight and such.
So fingers crossed but right now I'm not extremely worried, she seems to be doing fine :D .

Anna

Jul 24, 2011
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Shrek & Fiona the Indian Ringnecks, Chiku the Fischer's Lovebird Marley the Cockatiel, Dara and Bullrush the Eastern Rosellas.
This may sound odd but I had a mouse with a huge tumour on it's neck. I replaced it's water with something called Silver Colloid and the tumour went away. This is something I experimented with so I cannot guarantee it, but it did work and I'm pretty sure it's fairly safe as it didn't have any harmful side effects to my mouse and my mum drinks the stuff to help her immune system. Maybe worth looking into online or asking the vet about. You can get it at healthfood stores.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Yay! It could be benign, and just a big lump. I've had rats and dogs with benign tumors, and they aren't a big deal unless they're in the way of something.

Most Reactions

Latest posts