Marley new little brother...

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
Orange-Winged Amazon ~ Marley
OK so me and my wife adopted a gorgeous 8 month old puppy today as it needed a home and we have been looking for one for a while now.

first time he come in the house marley jumped off the cage landed on the sofa screaming the loudest weirdest noises u can imagine a bird to make.

i put him bad on his cage and now he just is sitting on his play stand prowling around it puffing his feathers and doing a weird jumping thing like he has hick ups and twitching..

is there a safer way to introduce a parrot to a dog? the dog is zoo chilled he hasn't even looked at marley since he arrived and its defiantly not jealousy as I've been giving marley lots of attention.

any tips?

30m7mma.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Oh that is adorable! Love those dogs! I didn't do anything in particular to get the dogs and the fids used to each other. Just watch them closely and don't let Marley loose with your dog without constant supervision. If there is any confrontation the dog may have to be confined to another room while Marley is out. They should get used to at least tolerating each other in time. I have 4 dogs and the one dog I thought I would have trouble with is the one who now sits by the cage waiting for Peanut to throw bird food to her...and Peanut loves her too...she climbs down the cage and "talks" to her all the time! Good luck!

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
yeah its still early days I've only had the dog 2 hours lol not even named him yet!

and yes marleys intruder alert is ridiculous no1 is robbing us haha!

my wives not at work at the moment so the dog can be around marley for a week or so all day that might be enough time to trust them together?

4dugnlee can u leave ur dogs and birds together alone now u know there fine or still not trusted?

thanks guys

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Hey...I guess Marleys not totally silent now...lol.
I don't leave the birds out of their cages alone with the dogs ever. The dogs (and cats) are fine when we are here and the birds are out, but I don't trust them to be good together if we aren't home. But, my birds are only out of the cages when we are home so that's not a problem. When the birds are in the cages then yes, the dogs can be loose in the house when we aren't home.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

my wives not at work at the moment so the dog can be around marley for a week or so all day that might be enough time to trust them together?

Congrats on the dog. BEAUTIFUL puppy!! I :smile015: bullies with a passion. :D

No, please don't EVER trust them out together unsupervised. It only takes a split second for an accident to occur. I'm not saying it will, but it 'can'.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Never trust them together! I lost our first bird to our dog, right in front of me, way too fast to save her! For sure, never never without one of you there. My dogs are dachounds, hunters by breeding. The two of them work together, and the things they bring down is amazing, but sad!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Cute dog! Marley is afraid of the new predatory animal in the house. His instinct tell him animals that look like the dog war to eat him. Only time of the dog being around him not bothering him will get him used to the dog. There should NEVER be a 1 on 1 introduction. As others have said, NEVER EVER trust a predatory animal with a prey animal. They may learn to become friends 'from a distance' (i.e. when Marley is safely in his cage and the dog is nearby or something), but it is just not safe to let such different animals interact. The dog should be trained from day one to stay away from Marley's area and should probably be in the backyard or in another room when Marley is out. All Marley has to do is flap his wings and that can trigger the "dinner" response in the dog. The dog may also end up really liking Marley but not realize it's own strength.

My grandma had a pet crow many years ago who was great friends with the family dog. The dog and the crow were playing one day with a living room full of people supervising (my grandma always had a bunch of people over). The dog wasn't being the least bit aggressive, but him and the crow were playing around on the floor and the dog managed to swat the crow just right with his paw and snapped his neck. Her crow died instantly.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Cute dog! Marley is afraid of the new predatory animal in the house. His instinct tell him animals that look like the dog war to eat him. Only time of the dog being around him not bothering him will get him used to the dog. There should NEVER be a 1 on 1 introduction. As others have said, NEVER EVER trust a predatory animal with a prey animal. They may learn to become friends 'from a distance' (i.e. when Marley is safely in his cage and the dog is nearby or something), but it is just not safe to let such different animals interact. The dog should be trained from day one to stay away from Marley's area and should probably be in the backyard or in another room when Marley is out. All Marley has to do is flap his wings and that can trigger the "dinner" response in the dog. The dog may also end up really liking Marley but not realize it's own strength.

My grandma had a pet crow many years ago who was great friends with the family dog. The dog and the crow were playing one day with a living room full of people supervising (my grandma always had a bunch of people over). The dog wasn't being the least bit aggressive, but him and the crow were playing around on the floor and the dog managed to swat the crow just right with his paw and snapped his neck. Her crow died instantly.

Ouch! Horrible lesson!
Very well said! It can be so fast! Just as I was writing my first reply, my daughter, feeding the dogs, handed JoJo a piece of dry dogfood. He liked it and then flew down to the bowl to get more- yes, dogs eating. Everyone is ok, but kid and me!! Fortunately the dogs are not protective over their food, that snap is automatic and fast! This is the first time JoJo ever went near them, I don't want him to think he can trust them, ever!

OP
JamJar

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
lol so its been a few days now that I've had frank and marley is just crazy! he has settled down now and chills in his fav spot and torments the dog.. he will climb all the way to the floor make some noises to get the dog excited and he dog runs over and marley climbs back t the top of the cage spinning around cooing lol! marleys found a new sound and doesn't shut up now its so cute :)

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Congrats on your new beautiful puppy!! They will definitely get used to each other with time. But like the others have stated never let your guard down. My Chihuahua's and parrots like each other. My grey knows both dogs names and often calls them over to her. She yells at them if they bark (tells them NO Barking!) She bosses them around and they mind her! But I only have them out together when I am home. Which is actually most of the time.

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
I have two daschounds and a puppy of some mix. She was kind of unexpected I wasnt looking for a dog and then she was there. My daschounds have never killed anything and for the most part very lazy. Lexi is very fat and she couldn't care less about Kalypso. Pepper is like ooo wait nevermind its just a bird. Then Pandora doesnt try to get near Kalypso but she likes watching her. Kalypso likes the dogs except for Pandora. For whatever reason Kalypso hates Pandora.She will hiss and lunge at Pandora. I keep Kalypso in a diffrent room than the living room as we have a cat, Pheonix, who is not trusted. She is about four. I know she cant touch the bird through the cage but I dont want any stress on Kalypso that there is a predator stalking her. I dont know the best way to intorduce dogs and birds but good luck.

Most Reactions