Materials that are bird safe?

Takaaaa

Dec 23, 2013
Hawaii
Parrots
Two Lutino Lovebirds
Hello,
so I bought a HQ Flight cage and Im very happy with it, but I want to add a seed guard and plastic flaps over the food and water dishes (like my Vision cage). I was wondering what plastic materials are safe for birds?
I want to also make a removable, clear seed guard out of plastic also, instead of the store plastic wrap, only because I have experience with working with plastics and can custom make something for convenience.

Thank you!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
There are food & water cups available at pet stores that have covers already on them.

Personally, I stay away from any product that is not made for pets if it has any chemicals in it. For example, I buy my birds all natural wood toys, unbleached cotton ropes etc. The thing you want to look for is what chemicals are in the plastic - especially if the bird will or is likely to chew on the plastic.

Have you consulted with a pet store that has bird products? Or a vet?

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I would also assume that human food container material should be safe, but I'm not sure…

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You can hang plexiglass on the outside of the cage to use as a seed guard. You would need to drill holes near the edge of the plexiglass to use stainless steel attachments to hang onto your cage.

OP
Takaaaa

Takaaaa

Dec 23, 2013
Hawaii
Parrots
Two Lutino Lovebirds
There are food & water cups available at pet stores that have covers already on them.

Personally, I stay away from any product that is not made for pets if it has any chemicals in it. For example, I buy my birds all natural wood toys, unbleached cotton ropes etc. The thing you want to look for is what chemicals are in the plastic - especially if the bird will or is likely to chew on the plastic.

Have you consulted with a pet store that has bird products? Or a vet?

The problem when I asked the vet is that he has a vast knowledge of birds, but not about plastics and the construction of bird toys/feeders. But that's understandable~ he told me what he did know, such as sharp, brittle materials are dangerous, etc. But mostly common knowledge things.

I just wanted to ask on here first, before calling bird toy/supply assembly center to ask about what they use. I'm sure ill be on hold for a long time...
I'm sure many owners had the same idea. haha

OP
Takaaaa

Takaaaa

Dec 23, 2013
Hawaii
Parrots
Two Lutino Lovebirds

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Yes Acrylic is safe to use! I believe ABS plastic is very very hard and for the type of birds your using them with, I highly doubt they will do any damage.

OP
Takaaaa

Takaaaa

Dec 23, 2013
Hawaii
Parrots
Two Lutino Lovebirds
Yes Acrylic is safe to use! I believe ABS plastic is very very hard and for the type of birds your using them with, I highly doubt they will do any damage.

Ahhh thank you so much for your help! The people on these forums are so knowledgeable :)

Thanks again!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Your quite welcome!!! I've worked with Acrylic/Plexiglass before. Just make sure if you were to use them, only drill them when the sheet is laid flat onto a surface or it will crack. There's a specific drill bit you need to look into, just ask your local hardware store to help you pick it out. Lowes have a lot of stainless steel screws and such available to choose from. I've also worked with ABS plastic as well doing saltwater fish tank for quite a few years.

Most Reactions