Maui's eating habits-questions

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
I have a question for you guys about babies, formula, weaning, and so on. My Maui (9wk CAG) has been eating so strangely lately, for example, in the morning, he may only take about 10-15 ccs of formula, and maybe the same at lunch feeding, but then want to eat like almost 80 at dinner!!!! or he may do the 80 at lunch but 10-15 at dinner. I've been giving him SOME pellets and have been offering him tid bits of a variety of veggies throughout the day, which he SO SO SO loves and eats just fine. I do give him a few sunflower seeds here and there, nuts and such, but not much and not all the time.

Any suggestions as to why he may be cutting back on his feedings down once or twice a day lately?

But, then again, some days, like yesterday, he ate pretty normal, like 45-50 cc's, 3 times, like 8:30AM, 3PM and then 8:30PM... I don't get it, but, he doesn't seem to be losing weight or anything, but it always bothers me when he doesn't eat well, especially his last feeding of the day before bed.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Lisa, well at 9+ weeks your getting close to going to two a day feedings, I would offer him as much solid foods as he'll eat during the day, fruits, veggies and pellets, you can also put in some millet spray to get him more used to working with solid foods, the night time feeding is still the most important feeding of the day, average age for weaning of an grey is between 12-14 weeks up to as long as about 16 weeks, Maui will let you know when he's ready to wean :)

Most Reactions