so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
What is the maximum bar spacing for a Cockatiel cage?

I am just about ready to buy a larger cage for my 2 Green Cheek Amazons to live in together and was thinking that I might be able to use the larger amazon cage for my girl's dormitory .
The bar spacing looks to be 3/4"

MMARC234

Nov 20, 2018
Louisiana
Parrots
Male Pineapple GCC- Leo * Male Blue Quaker- Bluebell * Male Green Quaker- Avocado
Considering that most cockatiels are around Leo’s size, I wouldn’t trust that they would keep their heads to themselves at 3/4 inch haha. Personally I would go for no smaller than 1/2 inch to be on the safe side.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Excellent advise above!

Sadly, I have heard of more cockatiels hanging themselves than other Parrots. More likely an issues of owners selecting the wrong bar spacing than an issue pertaining to cockatiels.

I have long used the measurement of their head (between the eyes) as a guide. Since most Parrots will refuse to allow a measuring devise anywhere near them, I use my fingers as a guide. Starting with your smallest finger work to the larger side.

I have long used only 1/2" with my Amazons because I have had a couple of them that found that they could get their beak between the bars and twist, thus opening the spacing up! With great luck that had become old and they quickly pick-up on taking the nuts off the bolts.

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
What is the maximum bar spacing for a Cockatiel cage?

I am just about ready to buy a larger cage for my 2 Green Cheek Amazons to live in together and was thinking that I might be able to use the larger amazon cage for my girl's dormitory .
The bar spacing looks to be 3/4"
Max around 5/8", but prefer 1/2" bar spacing as they climb around better. Depends on cage and bar thickness, as thin bars Cockatiels can spread out bars and they can pop welds on cheaper cages, stay away from cheap cages on Amazon/eBay for the most part. Note Most Prevue cages 3/4 are usually 5/8 and etc they always for some reason over spec their cages. Kings and A&E are usually dead on specs.

Q8UjBNo.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions