May make an outdoor aviary...

Buttonquailboi

Apr 30, 2011
I may make an aviary one day in the summer. A backyard one. Anyone know any safe plants/trees for Parrots and Button Quails? And how big should it be if I either get 12 or 25 eggs from Stellar Game Birds for Button Quails? Because I live in a suburban neighborhood, I don't have room for a super big aviary.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I would be real careful mixing poultry with parrots.... I don't recommand it....

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I know that cause I had two at one point....they can fly though! Parrots do go to the bottom and its not the fight I worry about. Its the parasites and diseases they can carry....

OP
B

Buttonquailboi

Apr 30, 2011
I know that cause I had two at one point....they can fly though! Parrots do go to the bottom and its not the fight I worry about. Its the parasites and diseases they can carry....

Concrete flooring could lower some of the parasites given by dirt.

OP
B

Buttonquailboi

Apr 30, 2011
I've seen people keep button quails with budgies and I didn't find anything on parasites... sorry for double posting, won't do it again.

I think you are thinking of keeping them with chickens, chickens spread diseases to quail, which could spread to the parrots, since I see alot of people keep Button Quails with budgies and finches.

Last edited:

Mira

May 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Kouki- CAG, Wasabi- WBC
Used to have Button Quails in with my Sunnies. My vet approved and so did many breeders in the area. In fact, almost all breeders, that I know of, keep Button Quails in the same cage as their parrots. They're clean house pets, nothing like dirty chickens.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
As long as they're raised indoors!!! That's what I was worried about! Chickens aren't dirty!!!! I used to keep one as a pet until someone stole him from me....very smart birds!!!

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
I dont know where people come up with chickens are "dirty", that Pigeons are "dirty" ANYTHING is dirty if you dont take care of it. Pigs are considered Dirty, but guess what, they rather Be Clean. anything If left in their own "mess" long enough will get sick, carry diseases, including humans.

Quail are considered wild birds, wild birds should Never be mixed with pets. thats up to you to mix them, but unless you Hatch and raise them yourself, Id never trust having quail with pet birds, and even then, Id not trust that, because chicks can hatch with illnesses even when they have never seen a chicken coop. who says other birds cant have that either?

Most Reactions

Latest posts