MBS, symptoms progression treatments?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I guess I'm like the only person who loves parrots but seems immune to MBS. Then again, my one bird is a feisty male "hot 3" zon. He has at least 5 different personalities (happy Kiwi, angry Kiwi, muderous rage Kiwi, puffy Kiwi and ravenous Kiwi). Being owned by 1 "Kiwi" is kind of like having 5 different birds right?:54::D

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
ROFLMAO!

Well I can confidently and honestly say that NO more for me! No more vacancies in this house, not ever. 4 was the magic number for me. :D

LMAO Wendy! I thought you said, No more VACATIONS, not vacancies.... You can see where my mind goes. My wife and I are taking separate vacations for that exact reason. We have too many critters to afford a pet sitter.

Karen, you've got me ROLFMAO again! Yeah, I might as well have written vacations because of the same reason you mentioned. :54: Every once in a blue moon the hubby will say: "We can't do anything or go anywhere because of YOUR animals," to which I promptly reply "Don't let MY animals stop you, and I'm not stopping you either, you know where the door is." :21:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, you know you've got MBS when your idea of a vacation is to send your significant other away, so that you can have some alone time with your birdies...

And just like that, the gauntlet is thrown down, and this thread is wide open for "You might have MBS when..." jokes...

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Waiting for the support group

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
HAHAHAHAHHA!!

Oh man....too funny! I also have MBS [emoji51] I started out with one tiny budgie (gateway birds!), and now we have 5 parrots!! I don't think it'll end there though.... I'm sure there's another bird or two in our future (don't tell my husband that [emoji56] lol)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
:18::18::18: This thread with pics starting with the single Canary is hysterical!

I will have to comment later on this topic when I'm home and not on the iPhone. ;)

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Oh dear....my conure addiction is leading down the path of great beak destruction and furniture sawdust...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Oh dear....my conure addiction is leading down the path of great beak destruction and furniture sawdust...

Two Words: Squawker Madness!

Enough said... get help while you still can! It's too late for the rest of us...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I said on another post somewhere that I tend to have multiple "object" syndrome for inanimate objects... If I REALLY like something, I'll go and get more of the same (in different colors for example). Someone with that sort of mindset is of course very dangerously susceptible to also contracting the "multiple syndromes" as it applies to animals as well :eek:!

As I remember mentioning on my very first into post on this forum ;), it all started when I went into a pet store after some fish food... (not sure if I even remembered the fish food) by the time I walked out of the store with my beautiful male Gouldian Finch and an expensive oak cage!! If you've never seen a Lady Gouldian Finch, Google it! They're one of the prettiest birds in the pet trade. Soon after, I had many flight cages and more Gouldians in color mutations.

I got Robin a couple years after that in 1994. More parrots followed, who for different reasons are not with me now (one reason being death). Robin was finally getting used to being an only bird once again (I truly believe he prefers it).... when I decided to get my first Budgies, and 2 more parrots again, Raven and Griffin

Over the years, I have spent MUCH $$$ on vet bills. Too much. I won't even get into my first Pionus and the surgery and death (came with a virus) which is why I'm so careful about the origin of my birds nowdays... Anyway, Raven had an accident at the breeder's right before I got him shipped out to me, long story short, it caused lifetime complications and was reimbursed (to essentially get him at a deep discount). Vet bills :53:. Then Robin had ingested tiny rocks that contained lead some of you remember. Surgery for that :53:. Then Griffin (I think this is what happened) flew with clipped wings over to Robin's house to antagonize him (Robin hates Griffin too), and Griffin came away with a toenail injury (never grew back) that needed an emergency vet. Again :53:. Plus I like to take everyone to get checkups and bloodwork periodically to see what's going on inside. Especially both Poicephalus who love to bite the powder coating off their cages and therefore had to get new cages... More :53:.

So, bottom line, :53::53::53: is pretty much curing the condition for now, as is caring for an elderly person. When circumstances permit and life gets a little more normal, I'd love to get an English Budgie friend for Twigs and a big flight cage. :)

As far as non-budgie parrots go, my crystal ball can't see that far into the future lol. But even if I had the time, I don't think I can care for many more! Even the more independent species. I'd need a staff lol.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I said on another post somewhere that I tend to have multiple "object" syndrome for inanimate objects... If I REALLY like something, I'll go and get more of the same (in different colors for example). Someone with that sort of mindset is of course very dangerously susceptible to also contracting the "multiple syndromes" as it applies to animals as well :eek:!

Stop making excuses. You just want "one of each" when it comes to Poi's. And when you have a "full set" you'll start collection Pi's next (with a very handsome specimen to start with:D:D:D)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
LOL I think you're right April :D. For sure at least the Pois ;). Then for sure I'll need that "volunteer" staff I mentioned :p

I also know that there are plans for the future to have a dog as well. I just hope I don't get MDS, but I can't guarantee that either lol :52:.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Okay, I just bragged here about commonsense... Well I saw an outcry from a local Chicago bird shelter yesterday... The pictures just made me cry. They have 44 cockatiels at the moment - got over 20 in one day and had to stop taking them in, although they are horrified of their fate. They are in urgent need of "parronts" to adopt ASAP! They are out of space and the poor babies are crowded and several plucked bald... Many of them wild (my type of bird!) It's not the shelter fault - it's really just too many, and people don't want to adopt an untamed plucked guy... :(
So, what would you do?
Can you NOT go and pick one up?
If you have a house can you NOT make room for just one more little tiel?

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
Well thanks to whoever posted about T and D Aviary I now want a hand raised tamed lovebirds but that may change once I do some research.:)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Hahahaah! I thought you were posting about some bird disease, and it took me a moment to realize what that's all about.. LOL :D
No, I don't think there is a real cure except the strong will to follow common sense. :)

Yes, MBS is a bird disease, though it's a contagious affliction that generally only affects those of us who have trouble saying NO, mostly to ourselves.....and in many cases, it's as bad as a chocolate or caffeine addiction ! ! !

You're right, the only real cure, that I know of, is a stronger willed better half/significant other, but barring one of those we singular's are pretty much lifelong survivors, if we can survive.....

Last edited:

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I think any bird is a carrier of MBS!
We have over 40 chickens coming in the spring! O.O
MBS has hit me hard this spring, and I'm considering adopting a Lutino Indian Ringneck...Or a Sun Conure...or a Quaker xD
My relatively young age puts a damper on MBS, as I always have to consider how many dramatic years and problems I will possibly face.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I only wanted one. I swear it. And it had been years since I'd had MBS--since I was that teenager with the twelve budgies in an aviary and a cockatiel. The symptoms rose up occasionally when I went to visit "Crazy Eyes" (as I lovingly nicknamed him) at the Petland, but I always had my sponsor there to persuade me to walk away and soon that little pet store faded away. Fast forward two years. I am 29, single, and own my own home. I am a responsible, employed adult. Is it not the perfect time to prove to myself that the addiction has been overcome, that MBS has been washed completely from my system? So I begin a search that ends with a Quaker parrot a few months later.

Fast forward to now. Deposit is put down on an RB2. Arrival in mid-June. MBS has flooded my system, and I am slipping. Please don't tell my sponsor--I'm going to let her be surprised when she walks into my home next month and sees a cage large enough to double as a walk in closet in my living room.

I guess I have to throw my Ten Year chip away.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Have been studying this phenomenon/illness/ and what not.

This is how it seems to start:

I do not think he is a carrier of MBS, but have started to form a hypothesis, water may be a trigger! They love baths-why? Well after enough soaks, you wake up to:

Now the MBS starts to take hold. You now have a responsibility to not only socialize them, but make sure they don't become separatists by integration:

You then get hit by, 'Oh my God, that bird is special and needs me!':

Then that wetting thing again! But notice, they are gaining the upper hand and are conspiring against you:

Then, oh honey, can we remodel the living room?

Oh, and now your garage:

If you find yourself here, take notes, this is an ongoing study! Remember, above all, it is a slippery slope!
Ahhh so I just recycling an idea! This is fabulous PowerPoint of MBS!
I had one GCC for 12 years then added a second GCC and for the next 5 years I only had two birds. At the passing of my first GCC I ordered a Quaker from a breeder. Obviously Neptune was the carrier of MBS!!! Because then I exploded to 6 birds!!!! Hopefully this was the acute phase of MBS , and now things will settle into a chronic 6 level ;)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wow, good catch, y'all!

I have zero impulse control, a bleeding heart, and a bit of disposible income... a recipe for MBS disaster. How have i stayed safe???

I got a vaccine 35 years ago... a mean, territorial, house-dominating, screaming, relentless, self-centered, hates-and-attacks-everything-and-everybody-but-his-helpless-hen (that would be me)... a Patagonian Conure Rooster named The Rickeybird.

*sigh*

Most Reactions

Latest posts