Quaker VS Hahns macaw

liamwang

Feb 6, 2015
Singapore
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure & Yellow Sided Conure
hi guy,

just to check with you guys which make a better choice? as i know hahns & Quaker can talk very well, Free Flight, Recall and do tricks. but i don't know which to choose :confused::confused: can any kind soul give me some advise for comparing this 2 parrot?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I can't compare the two from personal experience as I don't have a hahn's. I do have quakers, every bird is an individual, but they do have strong species characteristics. They tend to be very intelligent and quick to learn. The ones who talk, speak clearly and often in context. The two I have enjoy training but they can be strong willed and uncooperative at times. A lot of quakers are chronic escape artists, I would never take one outside without a harness. Generally speaking, quakers are not really considered to be a cuddly or hands on bird. My quakers are very affectionate, but only when they choose to be and never with strangers.

Maybe someone with more experience can answer your questions about the hahn's. Best of luck with your decision.

amusic20

Feb 27, 2015
Stonington, CT
Parrots
None at the moment -- I volunteer at a bird rescue, where I've made various avian friends
We have both hahn's and quakers at the sanctuary where I volunteer; quakers can be very noisy and do bite, but a couple of them are really sweet. Hahn's macaws are also sweet, but I haven't gotten close to one yet. They seem to be quieter overall, but they can bite, of course.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I guess I am severely biased since I only have my Quaker, but even after just a few days it's amazing how smart this bird is. He is pretty cuddly considering I've only had him five full days now. He's already figured out how to get out of his cage (I had to parrot proof his feed doors!), he has picked up how to tell my dog he's bad when he barks, he knows an attempt to say "I love you" will get my attention, and he is simply adorable. So far he has been an easy keeper, switching over from an all seed diet to a mostly pellet diet with little problem and learning to drink from the water bottle. We take a bath together every night. I don't have any experience with Hahn's so I can't really be a fair judge, but I LOVE my Quaker. I feel like you're getting everything you get in a Hahn's Macaw for a lot less dollar. Quakers might not be the flashiest looking burd, but did I mention how awesomely smart they are? I originally wanted an Alex or maybe a GCC and never even considered a Quaker, but now that I have Sammy I am SO happy I went Quaker! And you can spend the $500 or so you save on the price tag on toys and things to keep its endless curiosity quenched!

Zirstonas

Feb 10, 2014
The Netherlands
Parrots
Congo African grey, Illiger's macaw
I only have experience with mini macaws, I own one too, and the haha's macaw is actually quite the same as an alleger's macaw. They're really hyperactive, they love climbing and playing, you'll love a hahns macaw if you like a playing bird :)

OP
L

liamwang

Feb 6, 2015
Singapore
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure & Yellow Sided Conure
Thanks all for the reply! So both Quaker and hahns are the same smart! Haha... Just that hahns macaw quieter.. Actually i want them to potty train effectively that never fail to go poop at designated area..and most importantly FREE FLIGHT! I love free flight my parrot with that kind of bonding it's a big achievement!!! Just like I train my GCC recall in public without leash it's so happy to see them fly to you! But too bad my GCC will only go to designted area poop if I asked him to do so if not he will just poop any where��

flyingron

Jan 3, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Parrots
Bacca (Quaker)
My quaker will typically find the tallest person in the room and buddy up to that person to the exclusion of others. However, she'd rather be on anybody's shoulder than left out of the action. She's very social. The mostly talks to get attention when people aren't paying attention to her. She makes a lot of imitative sounds though (zippers, etc...) as soon as she hears them. Loves music and dancing.

My quaker came sort of potty trained (which must have been done 4 years earlier because the intervening owner never took it out of the cage). She'll usually squawk at you if she needs to go and we just set her on one of the perches and let her go there. It's not foolproof however. One day she's standing on my shoulder going "OK, OK" and I couldn't figure out what she was up to until I realized that when she gave me the poop squawk I'd say OK OK as I was racing her to the perch.

Most Reactions