Meet Chili :)

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Well, Chili had a pretty good day! Lots of exploring, playing, hanging out, and he even met 3 new people today! Normally I wouldn't have exposed a new bird to so much so fast, but I'm not kidding when I say nothing phases him lol

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Chili is so adorable! I also bought a very well socialized parrot (Sunny) from a breeder back in February, and he's still a bundle of love, even now at 9 months of age.

You're going to have such fun with chili. The pics are awesome. Can't wait to see some videos. :D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Sorry I'm soooo behind, been laying off the site to spend time around with my partner and the babies. Chilli is sooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!! My new kitten is taking a lot of attention out of me...lol....

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Is the honk a kind of "arp arp arp" sound? If so Alice does it all the time - I call it the baby seal impression! It's a bit like her crest in that it means different things depending on body language, often a happy "look at me" but can also be a warning / fear noise, and she uses it if she sees someone walk past the front window.

I love most of the galah vocalizations - Alice has no inclination to mimic or talk but her repertoire of pips, squeaks and cheeps more than makes up for it.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Is the honk a kind of "arp arp arp" sound? If so Alice does it all the time - I call it the baby seal impression! It's a bit like her crest in that it means different things depending on body language, often a happy "look at me" but can also be a warning / fear noise, and she uses it if she sees someone walk past the front window.

I love most of the galah vocalizations - Alice has no inclination to mimic or talk but her repertoire of pips, squeaks and cheeps more than makes up for it.

Yeah it's kinda like a little baby seal/honk thing and he seems to do it when he's concerned about something or if he needs me lol

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
He's been such a sweetheart ....yesterday the kid (1.5 yrs) was gone all day- which was nice since it gave Chili a whole day to acclimate without a crazy kid running rampant. The kid, J, is fascinated with Chili and wants to pet him, but ends in J getting so excited he squeals and runs away lol Chili is unphased by this crazy midget babbling who knows what, throwing cars and food, running everywhere, and destroying my creative train tracks like baby-zilla. Hmph!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
So a while back I made a huge batch of chop mix (like 3 months worth for 2 birds) and tried and tried to get Jackie to eat it to no avail... and I almost forgot about it until today- so I grabbed a bag out of the freezer, warmed it up, and voila!! Chili eats it!! :) 🎉
FF7B3904-D5CD-49CF-8BA6-6FAAC6F5DBF6-6872-000004141FF04314_zpse090ca87.jpg

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I warm up their chop, so it's not cold. Just 7 or 8 seconds in the microwave. Not warm either. I've read that warm food can stimulate hormones, because when mates gak for each other, that's warm, coming from their crops. But, my birds do not like cold food.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That's awesome he loves the chop mix! :D

Careful about the amount of grains you have in the chop mix. Rosie is a bird who flies daily and is extremely lean, as well as eats good food. Yet when I took her to the vet they said her first fatty tumor was looking very fatty, and there is a second developing.

My avian vet told me to completly remove grains, exept corn, from Rosie's diet. They don't need all those calories and it can hurt them. Galahs can get fatty liver disease very young if they are eating wrong.

You'll want to be extra careful with Chilli since he's clipped, he can't get the vigorous exercise he needs. Do you have a gram scale? What I do daily is weigh Rosie and feel her breast for muscle mass and to check for any fat on a daily basis.

Last edited:
OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
That's awesome he loves the chop mix! :D

Careful about the amount of grains you have in the chop mix. Rosie is a bird who flies daily and is extremely lean, as well as eats good food. Yet when I took her to the vet they said her first fatty tumor was looking very fatty, and there is a second developing.

My avian vet told me to completly remove grains, exept corn, from Rosie's diet. They don't need all those calories and it can hurt them. Galahs can get fatty liver disease very young if they are eating wrong.

You'll want to be extra careful with Chilli since he's clipped, he can't get the vigorous exercise he needs. Do you have a gram scale? What I do daily is weigh Rosie and feel her breast for muscle mass and to check for any fat on a daily basis.

So far he's been eating pellets, fruits and veggies, and today the chop mix- which doesn't have any rice at all and a small amount of pasta which I can pick out.

I do have a gram scale- I'll need to make a scale perch though. I was actually thinking about that earlier- weighing him every day. His first appointment is the 23rd so we'll see how that goes.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I warm up their chop, so it's not cold. Just 7 or 8 seconds in the microwave. Not warm either. I've read that warm food can stimulate hormones, because when mates gak for each other, that's warm, coming from their crops. But, my birds do not like cold food.

I zapped it in the microwave since it was frozen, but by the time I gave it to him it wasn't warm or cold.

Kimmied

Sep 7, 2013
PA
Parrots
I have one umbrella cockatoo. A female 3 years old named Mina.
Oh my gosh!!! So cute. I told my husband when he got my U2 baby for me. Oh no honey I won't want another bird that would be too much work. Then I saw your baby. Well now I think I could Handel two birds😍. You little one looks to be such a joy! And it's funny your just like me I have fifty- million pictures of Mina and she isn't even a year yet. I hope he brings you so much joy and happiness.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Oh my gosh!!! So cute. I told my husband when he got my U2 baby for me. Oh no honey I won't want another bird that would be too much work. Then I saw your baby. Well now I think I could Handel two birds😍. You little one looks to be such a joy! And it's funny your just like me I have fifty- million pictures of Mina and she isn't even a year yet. I hope he brings you so much joy and happiness.

Hahaha!! Whatever you do- don't watch YouTube videos of galahs cause then you'll definitely want one!! Lol

Chili's just been awesome. He's quiet (for now), loves scritches, loves everyone including strangers, playful, a good eater- he just spent at least a solid 5 minutes chomping down pellets! eats chop mix, fruit and veggies!

Most Reactions