Meet Dactyl:)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What a unique looking bird Dactyl is! I also know how large super worms are, and am not fond of them lol. I bet your other birdies would enjoy a little protein snack if you find yourself overrun with them;) I don't know much about softbills, but the amount they poop, I bet they eat A LOT! I'll be looking forward to more updates (and lots and lots of photos) of him!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
So I guess that makes him TERRY'S DACTYL... (Duh!) I'm a little slow today. But eventually I get it.

Okay, I am the one who is slow! I absolutely love puns, and this did not occur to me until you mentioned it! I am so stealing it, though, thank you Mark!

From what I have read, he is prone to iron storage disease just like the toucans, so I have to keep an eye on that. His lifespan is around 15 years, which seems so short compared to everyone else:(
He is not tame at all, and goes crazy when I put my hands in the cage, but my friend who has the rescue is determined she will get him to step up, so we shall see:)

My hubby noticed this morning that when he is eating the super worms, he grabs them by the middle of their body and then maneuvers them until the head is in his mouth, then he crushes the head and kills them before swallowing.

I think that all of y'all should all plan a trip to cold, beautiful Alberta...all my fids would LOVE to meet you all:)

More pics to come as soon as I am over this flu, yuck, I hate being sick:(

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's interesting about killing the worms before swallowing. That makes sense!

I hope you feel better asap. No fun being sick :(

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Okay, everyone witnessed it! You invited us all over to your house! No hiding with Reg when the bus shows up!

Almost missed this thread, Terr! Dactyl is such a striking and unique looking bird! Sweet! And I'd have a ball watching him eat those superworms! (Yeah, I'm a big kid sometimes. I know this. Lol!)

Funny enough, one of my nicknames for Ryan when he was a baby was Dactyl. He sounded like a pterodactyl sometimes when he cried, so I'd refer to that cry as him "going Dactyl". Hahaha!

I really need to visit you and your flock one day! Who needs to sightsee when you have at least 3 rooms filled with such an incredible variety of birds?

I really hope you feel better soon, my friend.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Terry, see if you can't come by some Bundaberg Rum. It's the best remedy ever for colds and flu! ;)

Aandeg

Oct 16, 2014
Wisconsin and Minnesota
Parrots
Quaker-Niimi

Budgie-SweeDee
Aandeg the crow ate super worms and meal worms the same way. Always crushed the head before swallowing them. I wonder if dactyl would like pinky mice?

Edit: I looked online... Pinky mice can be given but need to be chopped up first. Ewww, I think I'd stick to worms.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Terry, see if you can't come by some Bundaberg Rum. It's the best remedy ever for colds and flu! ;)
Hahaha! Even if it doesn't exactly cure your flu, it'll certainly make you forget that you're sick!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

That might work for some people. If I had the flu and drank any kind of rum I'd probably throw up everything but my memories.

With or without rum, feel better soon, Terry! We miss you!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Aandeg the crow ate super worms and meal worms the same way. Always crushed the head before swallowing them. I wonder if dactyl would like pinky mice?

Edit: I looked online... Pinky mice can be given but need to be chopped up first. Ewww, I think I'd stick to worms.

Yuck, I had read that about the pinky mice as well...superworms work for me..lol

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Stephen, days like today I wish I only had 3 rooms of birds! I have an idea...could y'all plan on the bus arriving on cage day? YAY! Fun to be had by all!

I am a bit better today , thank you all for the well wishes:) Bundeberg rum is not available here unfortunately, so am just drinking the heck out of some Nyquil:)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Making us earn our keep, eh? Lol! So worth it, Terry.

So glad you're somewhat on the mend, my friend. We'll just have to make sure to pack some Bundaberg rum on our Canadian bus trip!

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
I am a bit better today , thank you all for the well wishes:) Bundeberg rum is not available here unfortunately, so am just drinking the heck out of some Nyquil:)

I guess us Aussies need to bring suitcases full with Bundy Rum. :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Poor Terry! My only other fail-safe remedy is eucalyptus sweets consumed in huge quantities but I don't s'pose you can get those over there either? :(

So, yeah, when the bus arrives, we Aussies will come loaded with Bundy Rum and Vegemite and eucalyptus lollies. :D

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Wow!!! Dactyl is such an amazing looking fellow!!! That's crazy that he eats that much for such a tiny fellow! Lol

Superworms, eh? I have no idea how big those are but it sounds out of my league [emoji51] lol

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I am so excited! Bundy Rum AND Vegemite and eucalyptus lollies??? Wow, how lucky can a girl get?

Shirre, I took a pic of the superworms in his bowl this morning for you, and also a video of him eating them:)
dactyl2003_zps9a7fa83a.jpg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYT7GneD8vk&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYT7GneD8vk&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Hahaha! I'm fairly certain you're right about that, Terr!

Wow! The way that he was putting those super worms away makes me wonder if he couldn't eat 10 rather than 5! Loved the video. Thanks for sharing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts