Murray's Story

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
Blue Crossover Quaker named Murray
He was brought into our workplace by my boss (who is very much an animal advocate). A friend of his had a life event that required him to give up the bird. Instead of letting him go to a shelter, my boss stepped in to foster him until he could find him a home, so he brought him to live at the office temporarily. Having 25 people around in and out of the office, he took to one or two people, but was aggressive to most, including me.

After he bit my nose and drew blood, I was determined it wasn't going to be like that. I pretty much let him know that we're going to be friends and he's going to like it. Honestly, it didn't take long. I gained his trust and now now we're buddies.

Since he was often disruptive in the office environment, and I was getting along with the bird at that point, the boss decided to put him in my office temporarily. Well that turned into months, and the bird has started to bond with me.

I don't like birds. They're noisy, messy, and annoying. But I was very empathetic towards him so I was giving him attention. He rides on the back of my neck as I walk around the office and even when I go outside, and he's content the entire time. I set up toys and games on my desk so he pretty much is right there with me most of the day.

My boss kept telling me to take him home but I was standing firm. No birds!!! I don't want the mess, the expense, or the responsibility! I'm a widower and I live alone (I do have a small dog) and I don't typically heat/cool my house to the temps most normal people do. I have to watch my budget and save on electricity where I can. In the winter, my house is usually cold by most people's standards... and warmer in the summer.

Unfortunately there are a few people in the office who don't understand birds. One or two (they know who they are) are just plain mean. They think it's funny picking on him, but they're just making him into a "bad bird". Teasing him, bopping him on the head when he nips, etc. Even after I admonished them and try to explain that it's traumatic to the bird and that he doesn't understand that form of discipline, they just continue to tease and taunt him. The bird now freaks out whenever he sees certain people. And, I can't control what happens when I'm not there. I've learned so much about birds and their behavior in the past several months and I decided it's best just to take him out of that environment. He deserves better.

So last Friday I texted my boss and said if I'm going to get a new roommate, he's going to need a few things... then I sent him a link to an Amazon list which included a larger cage and about $200 worth of toys and supplies. If you want me to take the bird, you gotta help me out. He agreed and he's also going to cover vet bills.

Supplies have been ordered and I have begun preparing his room (Yes, he will have his own room. It will be cheaper and easier to climate control one room than the entire house). As soon as everything's in place, in about a week or so, I will be bringing him home.

He was determined to be about a year old when he had a vet checkup shortly after he arrived almost a year ago, so he's about 2 years old now. He is what I believe to be a Quaker (thanks to PF members here to help me figure that out). I don't have any confirmation on whether he is a boy or a girl, but I've just been calling him a boy. There has been no blood test performed to make that determination. So for now, he's a boy.

His name is Snowy, but I never really liked that name. He makes me think of that song, "Snowbird" by Anne Murray, so "Snowy" will become "Murray" when I bring him home.

Stay tuned...

Attachments

• 20221006_130213.jpg
    20221006_130213.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 72

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I love your story!

I keep the living room where my ringneck lives warm for him (it's the easiest to heat) but now I turned a bedroom into a small living room for me after he goes to bed, ha.

OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
First box of goodies has arrived! More coming tomorrow. The cage should be here Monday or Tuesday. Get that set up and bring him home next Friday, a week from today.

This is going to be one spoiled bird 😄.

Actually I just want him to have plenty of comfort and interesting toys and games so he'll be able to entertain himself while I'm at work. He'll be on his own 9-12 hours a day Monday-Friday.

He'll have his own TV too. 📺

Attachments

• 20221111_162332.jpg
    20221111_162332.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 66
OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
One more day...
Snowy (Murray) got a trim today (he was a very good boy, too!). Tomorrow is the big day! I've changed my mind about giving him his own room. Although this cage I bought him is plenty big to have lots of fun activities in it, He's still going to need to socialize and be with the rest of his flock when I'm home, so I found a spot in the living room for his house. I may have to rearrange the living room but this is good for now. I haven't decided whether to cover him at night or just have a separate sleeping cage in a spare room or even my bedroom. I don't have a TV in the bedroom. If I'm in there, I'm in bed and sleeping, so it will be dark and quiet (and warm) without having to heat another room in the house. We'll see how it works out.

I'm already over $600 in and I haven't even brought him home yet. 😳 Anyway, here's Murray's new setup 😀

20221117_175110.jpg

Elviraion

Oct 21, 2022
GA
Parrots
Turquoise Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure
Moon Cheek -- Green Cheek Conure
One more day...
Snowy (Murray) got a trim today (he was a very good boy, too!). Tomorrow is the big day! I've changed my mind about giving him his own room. Although this cage I bought him is plenty big to have lots of fun activities in it, He's still going to need to socialize and be with the rest of his flock when I'm home, so I found a spot in the living room for his house. I may have to rearrange the living room but this is good for now. I haven't decided whether to cover him at night or just have a separate sleeping cage in a spare room or even my bedroom. I don't have a TV in the bedroom. If I'm in there, I'm in bed and sleeping, so it will be dark and quiet (and warm) without having to heat another room in the house. We'll see how it works out.

I'm already over $600 in and I haven't even brought him home yet. 😳 Anyway, here's Murray's new setup 😀

View attachment 45756
I just LOVE the cage set up that you have going for Murray/Snowy here! Congratulations on bringing home that gorgeous lil' bird!

I wanted to ask you about the dimensions of this cage as I am looking into getting a flight cage just like this for my conure. There's to sets of size dimensions and I was wondering if yours is the largest one (65"L). It appears to me to be the largest one and I like how it looks.

Again, congratulations! :)

OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
Hi Elviraion!
This is the double cage (65") not the single. PawHut Rolling Metal Bird Cage
It's a great cage for the money, and yes LOTS of space. One thing to note: You can make this into one smaller cage, or a large cage with a divider, but if you just want to make a large cage (and forget about the divider), the gap between the 2 cages is close to 3/4 of an inch. The divider is meant to fill that gap, but if you leave it out, it might be enough room for a bird to get his head stuck. I'm going to figure something out to fill that gap on mine. I don't want to take any chances.
Also, in case you were wondering, you cannot make two smaller cages out of it. It comes with two side panels. You would need four!

Overall Dimensions: 62.75" L x 19" W x 64.25" H
Cage Dimensions: 60" L x 18.25" W x 33.75" H

OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
I've introduced him to a variety of veggies. The Brussels sprouts and the broccoli seem to be a hit so far.

SnowyEatingVeg.jpg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
One more day...

View attachment 45756
What a wonderful cage! Murray should have lots of fun with that.

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Soon Murray will be running your life.

If Willow is on my lap but I’m not petting him, he has to bump me with his beak so I don’t forget about him.

Maybe you could teach Murray to say “don’t forget the bird!”

Elviraion

Oct 21, 2022
GA
Parrots
Hi Elviraion!
This is the double cage (65") not the single. PawHut Rolling Metal Bird Cage
It's a great cage for the money, and yes LOTS of space. One thing to note: You can make this into one smaller cage, or a large cage with a divider, but if you just want to make a large cage (and forget about the divider), the gap between the 2 cages is close to 3/4 of an inch. The divider is meant to fill that gap, but if you leave it out, it might be enough room for a bird to get his head stuck. I'm going to figure something out to fill that gap on mine. I don't want to take any chances.
Also, in case you were wondering, you cannot make two smaller cages out of it. It comes with two side panels. You would need four!

Overall Dimensions: 62.75" L x 19" W x 64.25" H
Cage Dimensions: 60" L x 18.25" W x 33.75" H
Dan69,

Thank you so much for your detailed response to my inquiry. Much to my surprise, the name that you provided, "PawHut Rolling Metal Bird Cage" is the exact brand that I was thinking of when I asked you about this amazing cage that you have pictured in your post.

Did you get yours off Amazon? That's where I am planning on getting mine as it that seems to be the cheapest price out there for this particular cage. I'm going to be getting that cage in the next week or two.

In the meantime, if you don't mind sharing with me what solutions you've managed to come up with regarding the divider gap, I'll do the same if I figure out one that's different from yours. Whatever helps all of us do better for these amazing little birds! :)

OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
In the meantime, if you don't mind sharing with me what solutions you've managed to come up with regarding the divider gap, I'll do the same if I figure out one that's different from yours. Whatever helps all of us do better for these amazing little birds! :)
I haven't done anything yet, but my thought was to use the metal cage material from a cheap, used cage, one like you would find in Walmart, etc. Use a section or a couple sections out of this cheap cage to "patch" the gap so to speak. Bend the metal protrusions around to secure to the cage around the opening. Of course make sure there are no sharp points or edges. You would only have to secure it top and bottom, and maybe the middle too. It's hard to describe, but I hope you can picture what I'm describing.

OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
Soon Murray will be running your life.

If Willow is on my lap but I’m not petting him, he has to bump me with his beak so I don’t forget about him.

Maybe you could teach Murray to say “don’t forget the bird!”
Murray is content for the most part just hanging out on my shoulder. When I'm walking around he hangs out at the base of my neck. I am certainly going to try to find him ways to "self-entertain", as I cannot be with him or have him right by my side every waking hour. So far playing cartoons and "bird tv" on the TV has been helpful. When he was at the office, he loved boxes of paper clips. He would thrash them and when he tore it open and the paper clips were scattered, I would put the paper clips back in and tape the box closed so he could do it all over again. He isn't really interested in any of his toys. I have treats hidden in some of them, but I don't think he realizes this or even cares. He's a bit finicky. He has never had a varied diet, just mixed seeds. I am working on broadening his palette.

Also, I have a little dog. While not very "needy", she is a bit jealous (as I completely expected) when I am doing stuff with Murray. Especially trying to introduce Murray to different foods, or opening a bag of bird treats. My dog wants a treat, too.

Elviraion

Oct 21, 2022
GA
Parrots
I haven't done anything yet, but my thought was to use the metal cage material from a cheap, used cage, one like you would find in Walmart, etc. Use a section or a couple sections out of this cheap cage to "patch" the gap so to speak. Bend the metal protrusions around to secure to the cage around the opening. Of course make sure there are no sharp points or edges. You would only have to secure it top and bottom, and maybe the middle too. It's hard to describe, but I hope you can picture what I'm describing.
You describe your plan clearly, or at least it seems clear to me. I will probably chime in again on this thread when the cage arrives. I put an order in for the exact same cage today because I saw that it would take quite awhile for it to get here.

OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
You describe your plan clearly, or at least it seems clear to me. I will probably chime in again on this thread when the cage arrives. I put an order in for the exact same cage today because I saw that it would take quite awhile for it to get here.
I ordered mine on a Wednesday and it arrived the following Tuesday. I will give you a word of caution. The instructions are very basic. Just drawings and arrows pointing to where they go. I laid everything out and went from there. It took me about 2 hours to put together. Most of that time was studying the instructions. Plus, one of the bags of bolts was unmarked (the bags are labeled 1 - 5) but I figured it out.

You'll figure it out. You just have to be patient and take your time.

OP
Dan69

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
Well it's been almost 2 weeks and Murray is settling in nicely. He really is a good little boy. From what I hear about Quakers, I must have gotten lucky. This guy is very low maintenance and not difficult to please. It's only been 2 weeks though. So far so good! :)

Here is Murray's Happy Voice

Elviraion

Oct 21, 2022
GA
Parrots
I know I'm super late in getting back to you about our concerns with the gap in the cage where the divider is inserted. I realized I had a bunch of utility strength zip ties and I decided to use that on both the front and the back of the cage to make the gap more narrow. It seems to have done the trick. For the front I put this rope ladder there initially to help her climb across the front of the cage.

Elvira has never shown an interest in the gap or the zip ties. I don't know if a Quaker's beak is stronger than a conure's?

I'm including some pictures of the cage set up so you can see where the zipties are located along the divider gap. Cage Set Up1.jpgCage Set Up 2.jpgCage Set Up 3.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts