Meet Randy a female B&G Macaw

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
She one of the birds that I am training and working out aggression issues, she not mines. She was named Randy due to they thought she was a boy and a year later lay a egg and found out she was a female. They kept the name as she is use to it. She is around 18 years old. She had a rough past as owner before current owners didn't really care for her as she was past down from from their grandmother. They pretty much left her in a cage most the time and at times roam the house, but didn't feed her a proper diet, or give her the exercise she needed, plus cage was way to small for her to even spread her wings, no toys, or ETC. So one day they they decided to dump her for quick cash and store owners felt sorry for her and bought her off of them.

The issues is new owners are afraid to handle her often due to behavior issues and she very aggressive at times and bite very hard. She won't step up and attack anyone that came near. Even feeding her was a was a chore as she even block you from changing her food as she in a walk in enclosure custom built for her, as she has bad cage aggression, plus she higher then eye level. Cage aggression is cause by not being let out the hours she needs a day and only let out every once in a while and not enough toys, they did fix that issues already. So working with her to get her more social and working with owners on what needed, care and attention they need. She does eat better at least as they do feed her pellets and fresh vegetables and other food that the vet told them to when she first received her. They are listening as they since did a few upgrades, the lady really does love her, it just she can't take the hard bites at time and is somewhat bonded to her, but still bites at times, but been working with them and her. They were use to smaller birds like quaker parrot and cockatiels which they had the cockatiel for over 20 years. Yes cockatiels live that long when taken care off correctly.

She was check out by a vet already and has a clean bill of health on blood tests and etc. Her wings are like and can't hold them in due to being cramped up in small cage and lack of good diet before, so her muscles deteriorated over time. She can fly short distances.

I do have to take her a much needed shower as she hasn't had a good bath in months and only gets sprayed once in a while. Thankfully my umbrellas cockatoos know her. She is quite the talker and even curses likely taught from last immature owners.

VDwxFoF.jpg

y0rcenu.jpg

Last edited:

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
Apollo (CAG) , Kona (Pineapple conure)
Randy is gorgeous and I'm sure you will do a great job getting her back in shape parrot genie. What a shame that she has had to deal with life this way. What's even worse is that there is so much information out there to help, and yet people won't take the time to do what's right for these beautiful smart creatures. I'm glad your taking the steps to show her all humans aren't bad or scary. Good on ya !!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
Hopefully your experience and the will of her current owners will be rewarding for all of you involved. I can only imagine how determined one needs to be to deal with an aggressive macaw. But if treated properly, she should quickly learn humans can be good friends.

BTW, she's beautiful!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Oh dear, she looks like Sunny (now) with the (for her) fully stretched wing -> same cause: cramped up sardine-in-a-can kind of cage.
(Hers were almost fully folded all the time and almost hunched up to her head)

It is amazing yours can fly at all!

I would love to be a fly on your wall and see how you deal with them.
(the birds, not the flies ;) )

OP
ParrotGenie

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Oh dear, she looks like Sunny (now) with the (for her) fully stretched wing -> same cause: cramped up sardine-in-a-can kind of cage.
(Hers were almost fully folded all the time and almost hunched up to her head)

It is amazing yours can fly at all!

I would love to be a fly on your wall and see how you deal with them.
(the birds, not the flies ;) )

I was surprised as well she could fly, I assumed that she could not when I first saw her in this condition. Her last owners were immature people that didn't give to craps about her. From what was told to me by current owners they sold her for quick cash as they wanted to party likely to buy drugs. That how much they care about her, to treat her and sell her like some object?

Current owners just didn't realize she was so aggressive so don't blame them as they did try and now learning how to deal with her better and not giving up.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
How is she doing?

OP
ParrotGenie

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Pretty good, she way less aggressive now.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Randy is very pretty! Thank you for trying to help her new parronts to be able to deal with her. It sounds like Randy is willing to try to rehabilitate because of you and wants to be loved like she should be.
Is her arms (wings) getting any better? hanging from her body properly due to you letting her out and working with her?

Jim

OP
ParrotGenie

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Randy is very pretty! Thank you for trying to help her new parronts to be able to deal with her. It sounds like Randy is willing to try to rehabilitate because of you and wants to be loved like she should be.
Is her arms (wings) getting any better? hanging from her body properly due to you letting her out and working with her?

Jim
Her wings will likely be always like that unfortunately. Randy is pretty well behaved as far as most birds I deal with. She is starting to copy my female umbrella cockatoo scream. It pretty funny and she burps when she belches when she get her favorite walnuts, or says Polly want a cracker. Teaching her to say peanut.

Most Reactions

Latest posts