Meloxicam

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
yes, remember I asked you if they were giving him Metecam?

Num Num & Sundance have been on it. It's very safe and effective.

Num Num had quite a heavy dose of it and it would make him a bit woozy just for about a minute, then he would sleep.(this was just shortly after he had broken his beak)

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
He's on a 1 ml dose, twice a day. I put it on a little piece of birdbread, and am not sure if he ate it all because of the crumbs. He did fall asleep on me after about 1/2 hour. He tried to fly twice today, both ending in failure. :( he didn't fall hard, and once he fell on a cushion, but not hard. But after he holds his right wing out a little and I can tell he's in pain. He immediately rests after, and either wants to go in his cage or in bed with me. Mind you, he never goes in his cage until bedtime. That he would voluntarily hop in his cage is unheard of.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
did they not give you a syringe to administer it?

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Metacam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. While this drug can reduce inflammation and pain, it can be tough on the kidneys. This drug is go be given in patients who are not dehydrated and are eating and drinking. So stick with the prescription dose and your pet should improve in a few days.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
long term it could be an issue like TessiB said, but short term it is perfectly safe.

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
did they not give you a syringe to administer it?

They did. I use it to measure. But I'm not going to hold him and force it in his mouth, causing him to struggle and injure himself more. His next dose will be disguised in a blob of yogurt. He'll lick the spoon if its yogurt.

Most Reactions

Latest posts