Avacado Tree

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
I know avocado's are a huge no-no, but what about there trees? Fact is they are a South American Tree so I'm sure parrots land on them from time to time.

The main reason I'm asking is me and the wife like taking seeds/parts of fruits and vegetables and grow plants with them. Was thinking of growing a bonsai avocado tree just concerned if the birds get a bite of a leaf or part of the stalk.

OP
FreddyCheeks

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
Yeah I did a little more digging and found that persin is present in every part of the plant. Guess I'll steer clear of it just to be 100% safe.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I would say that yes, avocados are toxic and probably not a good idea about trees, either.

Feral/naturalized parrots in southern California however have a different view about that....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYvrZh7odLc"]Parrots and Avocados - YouTube[/ame]

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I miss avo's!! :(

I looove eating them but since getting Percy, they have been banned from my house. Pity it is such a bad plant for our fids, isn't it?

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I have to say, banning them from your house seems an over reaction. I eat things Hahnzel cannot. We eat things our dogs cannot eat. Human food for humans, bird food for birds.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, even though you don't know the reasoning behind my "over reaction". I personally don't think its an over reaction. Avo's can't stay in the fridge or cupboard, out of reach of curious beaks, like other "bad" foods, but stay out on the counter in a fruit bowl. My fid could easily get to them and to avoid that risk, I just don't bring them in my house anymore.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Gotcha. Hahnzel isn't allowed to free graze from the table or counters so I tend to forget there are other types of households for birds.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I would say that yes, avocados are toxic and probably not a good idea about trees, either.
Feral/naturalized parrots in southern California however have a different view about that....

I wish the camera panned down to the ground below. I don't know that those birds were eating the avocados, but they might've been dropping them on passerby's heads:09:

Most Reactions

Latest posts